Great Sports Moments Ruined by Terrible Uniforms.

Germanshepherd

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good thread.

Potentially unpopular, but I think this 49ers uniform looks just terrible:
Super-Bowl-XXIX-Steve-Young-run.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Those uniforms really aren't that bad... I guess it's because of the Cavs great colors and other design elements (numbers, waistbands, collars etc.) 

The Warriors sleeve uniforms are much worse, for example.

w6ejdXm.jpg?1

At least those were their primary uniforms those seasons.

It's a disgrace when a historic event occurs in an alt, or a one-off.  If someone pitched a perfect game in camo, that would be a black eye on the game.

I hope that Lebron's statue doesn't have him in those absurd uniforms.  THat was an opportunity for him to "immortalize" the current Cavs set - specifically the Cleveland road - but instead, the lasting image of him will be in a t-shirt.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think we've had this thread.  Anyhow, the Cavs last night became the all-time kings of this thread.  There is no better combination of wearing a non-team color, a uniform that does not even look like it belongs in the sport (sleeves, big logo), a trend (sleeves), a non-primary, and just plain ugly.  For various reasons, none of the above even come close.  Had Oregon won the national title wearing those Nike ads with no school colors, I still think these Cleveland uniforms take the cake by a lot.

And while I focus too much on uniforms, even I pretty much forgot about it in the midst of a nailbiter and all that it meant for Cleveland, LeBron, and the legacy of the 73-win team.  I really did not notice much.  But the photos will be a reminder.

Man, it would have been awesome to see the primaries immortalized.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I feel like the uniforms can absolutely add or take from a sports moment a bit, and can certainly make the photos of said moment more iconic.

I kind of feel like if you're using bad uniforms as a disqualification from something being a great sports moment, or even "ruining" it...you're missing the point of sports.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

29 minutes ago, Hat Boy said:

Since the narrative of the past week has been, "Cleveland has not had a major championship in 52 years," it would have been nice had the Cavs worn a uniform that said "Cleveland" on them.

Would it have killed them to wear their regular, "wine" roads.  Their main set is beautiful.

24 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Would it have killed them to wear their regular, "wine" roads.  Their main set is beautiful.

It is.  Anything they wear that does not include blue is just simple, yet, given the color scheme, unique.  While I don't love using shortened nicknames, I can certainly give them a pass on the yellow "Cavs" jersey.  

The blue muddies this look up.   I wish they would stick with wine and yellow, but if anything, they won't even have a blue-free uniform at all in the very near future.

Oh who gives a damn.  The ads are going to ruin everyone's uniforms anyway.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I was thinking about this very subject last night during the game (when I wasn't freaking out, that is). LeBron has shown a marked preference throughout his career for navy blue, and he also has indicated (though not directly said) that he dislikes the sleeved jerseys. They must've considered them lucky after winning Game 5 in them.

Before this, I would've picked the Patriots' four Super Bowl triumphs as the archetype of this subject, and their uniforms aren't even really that bad. This definitely takes the cake.

I would never say uniforms can ruin a great moment, but here's a couple moments that spring to mind:

The Rockies' entire 2007 run, including the magical tiebreaker game, happening in those black vests, rather than their primaries:

rockies-padres-2007-4.jpg

Barry Bonds' 71st home run happening in an ugly black alternate with black lettering (fortunately, no one outside of San Francisco remembers this fondly, at this point):

hqdefault.jpg

30 minutes ago, YungMan said:

I am going to have to disagree with you. Other than the sleeves (which I don't even hate) those Cavs uniforms are pretty great.

The fact that they are BFBS makes them not great.  If they were navy they'd probably get one or two more positive votes.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived