Great Sports Moments Ruined by Terrible Uniforms.

Germanshepherd

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, JosiahWVU said:

World Cup Final 2014

world-cup-2014-moments-germany-wins-fina

Germany in red/black, and Argentina in light blue/white would have been much better.

While that probably would've been more visually attractive, I think both of these uniforms were rather well designed themselves. And I'm glad, considering Germany won, that they got to do it in their traditional white jerseys. Of course, I wish they were paired with black shorts, but FIFA's crazy monochrome rules are to blame for that.

2 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Good ol' Dan Majerle, seen here NOT shooting a 3. Btw, Shumway, your first name's not Gordon, is it?

My given name's not Shumway at all...but my username is in reference to Gordon Shumway.

I don't mind the Cavs' uniforms. I like the sleeved jerseys. And the big C looks good on that shirt.

It really bugged me that, when the Newark Bears won the 2002 Atlantic League title, they did it while wearing Newark Eagles throwbacks.

Bears 2002.jpg

They should have been wearing their regular uniforms.

Hurst.png

The Bears used to wear the Eagles throwbacks every Sunday. And, annoyingly, they kept this up in the post-season.

It's just fine to honour the Negro League team. But wearing a throwback to another team once a week is way too much. And wearing it in the playoffs is totally inappropriate. (This is distinct from the Nets wearing throwbacks to a uniform of their own in the 2003 Finals, which is very cool.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

Last post was just over 19 months ago.  Coincidentally, the thread titles are identical, word-for-word...

I promise that was unintentional. I vaguely remembered a thread like this that hadn't been updated in a while. Was pretty surprised to find that they had the exact same title. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

This:

image.jpeg

image.gif

Of course, that moment to me is more “ruined” by the Red Spx losing the next game. If the Sox won Game 7, and in turn, the series, after winning game 6 in such dramatic fashion, we might hold Carlton Fisk's home run in even higher regard than it is now celebrated.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

On 6/20/2016 at 9:37 AM, C-Squared said:

To the NBA's credit... jersey sales are down, market research suggests fans don't like wearing sleeveless jerseys, and they hit a home run in terms of marketing their still new sleeved jerseys. Can't really argue with the consensus that we'll look back on it in 20 years and shake our heads, though.

I've never seen a single fan wearing a sleeved jersey. 

1 hour ago, Tigers6884 said:

This:

image.jpeg

image.gif

Of course, that moment to me is more “ruined” by the Red Spx losing the next game. If the Sox won Game 7, and in turn, the series, after winning game 6 in such dramatic fashion, we might hold Carlton Fisk's home run in even higher regard than it is now celebrated.

Funny how the Red Sox got caught up in the baseball fashion trend of the decade. :D I have that jersey, BTW.

UBwef0L.png

3 hours ago, Tigers6884 said:

This:

image.jpeg

image.gif

2 hours ago, johnnysama said:

Funny how the Red Sox got caught up in the baseball fashion trend of the decade. 

That moment is ruined by the uniforms of both teams. Neither of those teams had any business in pullovers and beltless pants. 

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On June 20, 2016 at 1:41 AM, Germanshepherd said:

With the Cavaliers ending Cleveland's title drought in black big logo sleeved uniforms, What other cool moments in sports are you not able to fully appreciate because of the awful uniforms worn during it?

image.jpeg

This goes against all my uniform beliefs, but I don't find these to be that bad.  The gold & wine pop off of that black.  The thing I have a bigger issue with is the fact that the CAVs have both a black and a dark blue jersey.  They don't need both when they have such a great and unique color scheme.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

6 hours ago, ohryan said:

I've never seen a single fan wearing a sleeved jersey. 

Hence the looking back in 20 years and shaking our heads. Unlike fans buying replica versions of jerseys made for athletes, players are wearing jerseys specifically designed for fans. Their success (or lack thereof) is another story.

Good thought on the Fisk home run.  I've seen it a hundred times (probably more) and some of those times, that's the only thing I can think about.  That really should have been in the classic uniform with a blue helmet.

Man, in the late 1970s and early 1980s, just about everyone was going non-traditional.  Even the Cubs home jersey was a pullover for a while.  The Yankees, I don't think, ever went for any beltless / pullover look.  The Dodgers.  The Tigers (at home; they did go pullover on the road).  Even the Greatest Fans in Baseball had to look at pullovers and elastic waistlines ("sansabelts?").  

So, I went to Dressed to the Nines and looked at 1977.

Uniforms I'd call traditional (out of 26 teams): 

• Tigers (home only)
  • Yankees
  • Dodgers
  • Mets

Not too bad:

• Expos (belts and buttons; I'm only dinging them for the powder blue and three-tone hat...but for a then-modern team, not bad)
  • Phillies (zippers; I think...only dinging them for powder blue)

Thumbs-down to everyone else.  Mostly beltless pullovers.  Baltimore had buttons.  Atlanta had belts and pullovers.

Even giving the Phillies and Expos a pass, that's 5.5 teams doing it right and 20.5 going beltless and/or pullover (mostly both).  And I'd definitely say the Red Sox top the list of teams that should not have done that.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived