Great Sports Moments Ruined by Terrible Uniforms.

Germanshepherd

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They changed before they knew James was leaving for Miami. They'd already gotten as much mileage out of that set with LeBron as they could. They were planning on introducing a whole new identity with James front and centre. 

Then he left, but came back. Allowing them to go with the original plan of using the new identity as a basis for churning out alt after alt for the face of the league to wear. 

The Heat did the same thing when James landed in their lap.

On 6/22/2016 at 0:52 AM, Tigers6884 said:

This:

image.jpeg

image.gif

Of course, that moment to me is more “ruined” by the Red Spx losing the next game. If the Sox won Game 7, and in turn, the series, after winning game 6 in such dramatic fashion, we might hold Carlton Fisk's home run in even higher regard than it is now celebrated.

I've often joked that the Red Sox won the 1975 World Series over the Reds, three games to three, because that's possibly the perception that many casual observers have held for forty years, due to that home run being the most-shown play from that series.

Speaking of the Reds, although they don't have as good a uniform history as the Red Sox, it's still a shame that their greatest years came in those awful pullovers and in that concrete donut with carpet on the field.  The uniforms were perfect, classic, classy, and timeless 1968-71.  If only they'd left well enough alone.

22 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

They changed before they knew James was leaving for Miami. They'd already gotten as much mileage out of that set with LeBron as they could. They were planning on introducing a whole new identity with James front and centre. 

Then he left, but came back. Allowing them to go with the original plan of using the new identity as a basis for churning out alt after alt for the face of the league to wear. 

The Heat did the same thing when James landed in their lap.

I get it.  Still think it was the wrong move, though what they went with certainly has it's merits.  I wish they just had three uniforms, the main set and the blue, sleeveless alternate.  They'd be the class of the league.

20511525-mmmain.jpg

This was worse than the NBA Finals match up for me. The cookie cutter mess against a jersey that looks incomplete, along with almost the same logo used 3 TIMES on it.

I'm so glad we never have to see that Penguins jersey again on the ice.

Shame the same cannot be said about those Sharks jerseys..... so much needs to be fixed here.

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

On 2016-06-24 at 7:22 PM, clonewars2008 said:

I actually like the black jersey more than the white

I agree. That is an amazing secondary for Germany. Would love it if they made red and black hoops their permanent secondary (details would be changed of course to allow Adidas to sell new jerseys every two years).

4 hours ago, Morgo said:

I get it.  Still think it was the wrong move, though what they went with certainly has it's merits.  I wish they just had three uniforms, the main set and the blue, sleeveless alternate.  They'd be the class of the league.

I definitely loved the LeBron 1.0 Era in Cleveland. It was a unique, modern, but not overly busy. They leaned a bit too heavily on the navy alts near the end, and the deluge of alts definitely hurt the brand, but it was a solid, contemporary look.

The current Cavs' primaries aren't bad. They work in a different way. They have a more classic look to them, but overall? There are too many tiny inconsistencies that add up. The home, road, and gold alternates all use the wine and gold colour scheme, but use logos that feature navy blue. The logos look like they came from a different uniform.

The navy alt clashes with the other three primary set uniforms due to the lack of navy on those.

They created a simpler font for the uniforms, but just recoloured the previous logo. Meaning you still have the modern, sleek script as the basis for the logos, but a rounder, more classic font for the uniform wordmarks.

I want to like the current Cavs set but it's just not working.

Yeah, the Cavs current set is one those "if you can get past this or that, it's not bad" sets, which by nature is not a good thing and keeps it from being a truly great uniform set.

And that is too bad, because it really has the potential to be pretty dang great. But all the aforementioned inconsistencies plus their annoying alternate spree watering down the identity really knock the whole set down a few notches. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Agreed. The LeBron I look was great, the navy alts (though worn way too often) were a great example of how to make an alt that wasn't just recoloring the primary set.

The current set has just so many inconsistencies that bug me. "If you can get get past this it's not bad'' is the best definition for it. The wine and gold colors are very good and work well on the wine and gold uniforms, but all the other uniforms are lacking something. The simplistic template works well in two colors but in three colors it looks too busy and too simple at the same time. 

however the logos are a  to me, I'll never understand why they didn't make the logo that was on the court the first year the primary logo, in favour of the standalone C that was always the weakest logo in the identity

Cavs_Court_2011.jpg

07Giants.pngnyy.png

On 6/20/2016 at 0:38 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Yeah, last night may have been bad, but at least it wouldn't give you vision trouble. The 1979 World Series, on the other hand:

l_9aff4d213e06637e7501e24fcbbd803f.jpg

That's just eye-searingly terrible for both teams.

Unpopular opinion here, but I disagree.  Put those Pirates in some grey pants and that's a FALL COLOR CLASSIC match-up right there!  :wub:

14 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The current Cavs' primaries aren't bad. They work in a different way. They have a more classic look to them, but overall? There are too many tiny inconsistencies that add up. The home, road, and gold alternates all use the wine and gold colour scheme, but use logos that feature navy blue. The logos look like they came from a different uniform.

The navy alt clashes with the other three primary set uniforms due to the lack of navy on those.

They created a simpler font for the uniforms, but just recoloured the previous logo. Meaning you still have the modern, sleek script as the basis for the logos, but a rounder, more classic font for the uniform wordmarks.

I want to like the current Cavs set but it's just not working.

I think it's the best of both worlds.  You get to have a classy, traditional uniform set and you get to keep the modern logo set, which is easily the best they've ever had.  The main set could definitely use a little more navy but it's not an inconsistency that ruins the look.  The Lebron 1.0 identity gave the team a great logo for the first time in Cavaliers history.  Switching the dull gold for Athletic, made it even better.  All the expertly crafted logos are that much more vibrant and attractive.  Like the thing of absolute beauty below.

yfxC06R.png

On 6/19/2016 at 10:41 PM, Germanshepherd said:

With the Cavaliers ending Cleveland's title drought in black big logo sleeved uniforms, What other cool moments in sports are you not able to fully appreciate because of the awful uniforms worn during it?

image.jpeg

Great thread. While hockey teams like the Dallas Stars or the WHL Canucks who had basketball-type jerseys, I call fashion disaster a "sockey" jersey. Just made up the word myself. Lol. "Sockey", a soccer shirt with a hockey-styled crest. 

Also, when will teams learn that mixing two dark colours like navy and wine/maroon is not a good idea? 

The logo inconsistency of the Cavs is nearly as bad as the jersey inconsistency.

1280px-Cleveland_Cavaliers_2010.svg.png

They recolored the previous primary with the basketball (above) but seemed to have mostly abandoned the logo in favor of the C. By the way, I sorta liked the center court logo they made with crossed swords, but I love the hook-C and that logo would at least require a basketball to fill out the middle IMO.

They sometimes use the C with a sword through it, but sometimes go with the plain C. And on top of that, they sometimes use a swordless C that has drop shadow (all three below).

5b916c9359c6332e443098183aaae6a8.jpg62-62376.jpg62-62375.jpg

All of those logos, plus the flag version, are well designed IMO. But there seems to be little rhyme or reason to their usage, our great primary has gone by the wayside, and we still have too many colors. Our team has gone through so many identity changes it's hard to have a unified fanbase. We started with wine and gold, went to blue and orange, did the black thing for a while, went to metallic gold, and back to the original colors. But these last two identities have not only added navy but focused on it. We constantly wore our old navy alts and constantly wear our new ones too. Tons of fan gear highlights the navy, our court has a navy border, our warmups have navy pants. Now we have a black jersey thrown into the mix?

Our identity has a lot of good ideas but we need to trim the fat. Most concepts I've seen that bring back the use of the logo script and narrow down to simply wine and gold seem to be winners. That being said I love our current logo package even with the inconsistencies and could see the set becoming a classic if we find a better balance between wine, gold, navy, and white.

The Cavs uniforms are: white, wine, yellow, navy, black, not to mention throwbacks or the recolored one-offs they like to do. That's way too many uniforms for one team. You should never have more alternates than you have primaries. 

The white, wine, and yellow have no traces of navy or black. I'll give the navy alternates a pass because there's navy in the logo, but the black sleeves are one of the worst examples of BFBS in BFBS' history. That it was worn in the finals, and the drought ending game 7 is just really sh!!!y and proof you should never let players influence uniform decisions because they'll pick wrong 99% of the time. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

10 minutes ago, rxmc89 said:

Hank Aaron breaking Babe Ruth's home run record

You may get some pushback on that, but I am with you.  1970s different-colored sleeves were one of the worst trends ever.  Also, the lower-case "A" on and white panel was far inferior to the "A" they use now.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

The Cavs uniforms are: white, wine, yellow, navy, black, not to mention throwbacks or the recolored one-offs they like to do. That's way too many uniforms for one team. You should never have more alternates than you have primaries. 

The white, wine, and yellow have no traces of navy or black. I'll give the navy alternates a pass because there's navy in the logo, but the black sleeves are one of the worst examples of BFBS in BFBS' history. That it was worn in the finals, and the drought ending game 7 is just really sh!!!y and proof you should never let players influence uniform decisions because they'll pick wrong 99% of the time. 

I don't think the navy "Cavs" alt is terrible by any means.  And the old wine/gold/navy scheme from LeBron Era #1 was solid.  

I just love, love, love the wine and yellow set.  I love the lack of white on the road and yellow alt.  I love the basic design with the less-than-basic colors.  I would probably add a yellow stroke to the white jersey (despite the inconsistency it would create) in order to give yellow more of a presence.  Then the white, wine, and yellow uniforms would give the Cavs a top-5 look...maybe even #1 (to me, which I'd discuss in the "Unpopular Opinions" thread).  If it were up to me they'd solve the uniform/logo inconsistency by getting a blue-free logo.

But given that the logo has blue (and that I suspect the fans like the extra color), I am not appalled by the use of a blue alt.  But the black alt is just not defensible.  It's not defensible that it exists and it's not defensible that the greatest moment in franchise history occurred in it.  It's not that it's sleeved (OK, that is a part of it) but that it does not even look like the same team as the other jerseys.  The Golden State sleeved jersey would have been bad but at least it would have looked like the same team.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived