MLB Rivalry Faceoff - Vedder Cup (Padres vs. Mariners) UPDATE 7/9

coco1997

I've decided to take a break from my MLB in shorts series to work on something new and different. Inspired by @Discrimihater's fantastic MLB Rivalry Series, I tried my hand at a few lesser known rivalries in MLB. First up is the rivalry between the San Diego Padres and Seattle Mariners, nicknamed the "Vedder Cup." The name comes from Pearl Jam lead singer Eddie Vedder, who, despite being one of the more high profile Cubs fans in the world, has called both Seattle and San Diego home at various points. Let's start off with the Padres:

Padres_Rivalry_Series.jpg

Despite the fact that the Padres/Mariners rivalry didn't technically begin until 1998, San Diego and Seattle have a long history that dates back to the Pacific Coast League days in the 1960s. The Padres home set is based on this PCL Padres jersey and utilizes their present day color scheme of navy and yellow. The road set is a sand and brown version of their current alternate and uses the "Taco Bell" cap design with the Swingin' Friar sleeve patch. Next we have the Mariners:

Mariners_Rivalry_Series.jpg

The Mariners home set is based on the Seattle Rainiers PCL uniform but utliizes the M's present-day colors. Hard to tell because these images are scanned in but the home set is off-white. Now, I'm particularly happy with how the Mariners' road set turned out. It's basically a cross between the M's blue & gold fauxback and their Turn Ahead the Clock one-off from 1999.

Next up will be the Detroit Tigers vs. the Pittsburgh Pirates, and I have some crazy ideas planned for those teams. Stay tuned and C&C much appreciated!

I like what you've done for both teams here. The Padres set is especially nice (I like the sand base on the road set), and I like that you referenced the Mariners' TATC uniform in their road set. However, you're cream Mariners should really have a white base. Cool colors do not go well with the cream base. The same concept with a white base would look much better.

I look forward to other entries in your series!

28 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I like what you've done for both teams here. The Padres set is especially nice (I like the sand base on the road set), and I like that you referenced the Mariners' TATC uniform in their road set. However, you're cream Mariners should really have a white base. Cool colors do not go well with the cream base. The same concept with a white base would look much better.

Thanks for the feedback! I will eventually redo the Mariners based on your suggestion. 

Really nice start. I like what you've done for Padres and Mariners. About The M's road uni, I really like it, but how about making it mainly blue with gold sleeves?

Looking forward to see the rest of the series!

5 hours ago, Victormrey said:

Really nice start. I like what you've done for Padres and Mariners. About The M's road uni, I really like it, but how about making it mainly blue with gold sleeves?

Looking forward to see the rest of the series!

Thanks!

About your suggestion, I really wanted to get the powder blue base in there somewhere. Once I'm finished with the rest of the series, I'll revisit this idea. 

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Thanks!

About your suggestion, I really wanted to get the powder blue base in there somewhere. Once I'm finished with the rest of the series, I'll revisit this idea. 

It's up to you ;) Powder blue looks great nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2016 at 9:16 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Here's a redone version of the Mariners in clean white rather than cream. Better?
Ms.jpg

I also gave the home set the 2003-2011 style numbers.

Admittedly, I was drawn to the thread by its name.  (Big Pearl Jam fan so I understood why you called it that with these two cities).

I think there's good in each of the Padres uniforms but they seem like parts of two completely different concepts since the color schemes are so different.  Then again, the Padres actually do this...Anyway, is that a blank hat at home?  The Padres have one thing going for them and that's the "SD".  It needs to be there.  While I happen to not be a fan of front-panel caps, I like just about everything else about the road uniform.  A home counterpart could be nice.

The Mariners also should match home/road, in my opinion.  The home jersey is serviceable (I like the first one better because of the block numbers).  But I think an "S" would serve the hat better.  And I just don't like the whole TATC thing and feel that's best left as something we laugh at in retrospect.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Admittedly, I was drawn to the thread by its name.  (Big Pearl Jam fan so I understood why you called it that with these two cities).

I think there's good in each of the Padres uniforms but they seem like parts of two completely different concepts since the color schemes are so different.  Then again, the Padres actually do this...Anyway, is that a blank hat at home?  The Padres have one thing going for them and that's the "SD".  It needs to be there.  While I happen to not be a fan of front-panel caps, I like just about everything else about the road uniform.  A home counterpart could be nice.

The Mariners also should match home/road, in my opinion.  The home jersey is serviceable (I like the first one better because of the block numbers).  But I think an "S" would serve the hat better.  And I just don't like the whole TATC thing and feel that's best left as something we laugh at in retrospect.

All fair points! :)

As far as the disparate color schemes, I was trying to get in the mindset of Discrimihater, whose MLB Rivalry Series set a precedent of wildly unmatching uniform sets and inspired these concepts. And yes, that's a blank cap on the home set, another element borrowed from the PCL Padres

In my defense, the Seattle TATC uni is basically a more believable version of the one they actually wore. I used their early '80s road color scheme and ditched the chrome and "futuristic" number font. Plus, I know Discrim is a fan of the TATC unis, so I figured this is something he'd actually do. Again, the idea was to think outside the box and be a little wacky, not necessarily be realistic about the whole thing. 

Have you seen my Tigers vs. Pirates set? It might be a little more to your liking. I'm still looking for more feedback on that one. 

I'm also working on a set that involves the Red Sox and White Sox, and for now I can say that both teams' home and road sets will match each other. 

In fairness I did not totally absorb that you were inspired by Discrim, who's concept styles are quite unique.  I tend to think of concepts as "could the team actually wear this?"  And that's not necessarily what everyone is going for.  That said. I think either Padres uniform could be pretty close, if paired with a color match.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

53 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I think either Padres uniform could be pretty close, if paired with a color match.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. The Padres' colorway has been all over the place since the '60s, ranging from brown to yellow to navy and orange. I wanted to focus on the era since the "Vedder Cup" became a thing, which started in 1998. I would've probably made both Padres sets some combination of navy/sand/orange had it not been for the slow reintroduction of brown into their identity which began this year. 

Archived