World American Football League *GREECE*

the_grateful_ted

3 hours ago, sleuthpanther said:

Thank you!

Yes, all teams represent one country. They do not have mascot names, so it would not be "England Lions" rather just "England" maybe nicknamed "The Lions". Hahaha I love it already!

Thank you for the reminder, fixed em, I'll try to get crazier designs in some of the later ones!

Ask and you shall receive.

EnglandHome1_zpsruxckvhd.pngEnglandAway1_zpspox9uxek.png

V.2 ENGLAND

Presenting the Nebraska Cornhuskers! Er, I mean, England! I tried darkening the blue because I liked it so much, but I really didn't like the result. I think red an white looks pretty clean. What do you all think? What team from the Western Conference should I do next?

Much better! Good job. I'm curious to see what you can come up with for Belgium.

IMG_7365.PNG

IMG_7364.PNG

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

" This was a crazy project from the beginning. With a country like Ireland, you just have so much going on. Some times you just try to fit too much stuff in, sometimes you just misjudge the people you're working on the project for. Somehow we did both. *Laughs* With our first attempt at this design, we went super over the top, like Maryland U over the top. We took a lot from the Irish flag itself, used lots of orange and stuff, super crazy. We took it to them, thinking they'd like the Oregon vibe they were getting, all the revenue they could bring in from sales. They just kinda looked at our work, then us, and said " What is this garbage? " *Laughs harder, audible snorting* They said they wanted something that would truly represent the traditions of their country in a much simpler and iconic manner. So we went back to work, took some cues from the Soccer and Rugby teams, asked around the country itself trying to find what Ireland itself wants. Eventually we came up with what we just released, took it to them, and they loved it. "

- Transcript from interview with lead designer of the WAFL Ireland Project at Under Armour, Danny Kemp. (Dundalk Radio, Ireland)

IrelandPromotional_zps8ln6ssq5.png

So obviously that was not a real transcript, there is no Danny Kemp (Sorry). But a lot of the stuff there was really how this design progressed. It went through a lot of crazy stages, but eventually I decided on using a simple Celtic cross. Powerful, simple, and very Irish. I used a "Fancy Block" font from Conrad. Uniforms!

IrelandHome_zpsyanlenag.png

IrelandAway_zpslvb35xw9.png

Helmet 

-Added on the Irish Knots very late in the design but I think it looks amazing. Just a simple green shell.

Jersey

Decided because the jersey is simple I needed some cool numbers, took inspiration from the soccer team "3" sponsor. Definitely a unique look, I think its spices up a pretty simple jersey without being too gaudy. " Fe Mhoid Bheith Saor " is the country's motto, and means "Sworn to be free" ( I was going to say something cheesy like "No Luck needed" but this was just too badass). No name on the front just the logo at the collar. Made the shoulder caps green because I thought it looked better.

Pants

Simple White pants. Didn't want to overdo the celtic knots, clean pants.

Accessories

Plain Green/White socks. Hoops didn't look right. Black shoes look pretty tough. Gloves are a little different, just for the sake of different. 

Hope you guys enjoyed! This was another simple, traditional one but the next one (either Belgium or Switzerland) is going to be very different! C&C is always appreciated and have a good day guys

I think England without the blue is perfect. For Ireland, usually I'd like to see a helmet stripe on the jersey or pants but I actually like the simplicity of the uniform. The number font is fantastic. If anything the black gloves kinda throw it off. Can't wait for more

13 hours ago, JosiahWVU said:

Nice job. Keep it up.

Thank you!

12 hours ago, CanucksBrad said:

I'd like to see a little black included, the black gloves go well with the Green and White.

Gonna do Canada? :)

I'll try to whip up a green/black concept in a bit, right now I'm hooked on Belgium. Of course Canada will pop up, they are the second ranked team in WAFL after all! You might have to wait a little bit for them though, but I guarantee it'll be worth it!

12 hours ago, natolian10 said:

I think England without the blue is perfect. For Ireland, usually I'd like to see a helmet stripe on the jersey or pants but I actually like the simplicity of the uniform. The number font is fantastic. If anything the black gloves kinda throw it off. Can't wait for more

Trust me I was going crazy with all the crosses and knots and everything in my first few concepts (Sublimation EVERYWHERE). But I thought a simple, kelly green uniform was very pleasing to the eye. The cleats too or just the black gloves?

1 hour ago, Broncoboy7 said:

Ireland is simple, but effective! Good idea to not overuse the Celtic knot on the pants. It's used well enough on the helmet and gloves. 

Thank you! It's the last of the very simple ones for a bit I think

Thanks for the comments everyone, expect Belgium late tomorrow or early Friday! More comments and things are always appreciated as usual.

Belgium!

SwitzerlandPromotional_zps0as1nzrq.png

Aaaaaand nope it's Switzerland! I started on Belgium, but had a revelation with Switzerland that was so good that I just moved by efforts to Switzerland. The primary for Switzerland is in reference to the most prominent feature of the country, the Alps. It is a dark grey ice axe, with the swiss flag waving on it. I wanted to make a logo with motion, which hasn't been done yet in this series, with more than two colors, and that fit very well on a football helmet. The font is "Admirals 2015" by Conrad. In general, this concept includes a very dark grey, nearly black. I think it complements the cherry red very well, and makes just another red/white team stand out.

SwitzerlandHome_zpsgfpsgcga.pngSwitzerlandAway_zpssansdwuq.png

Helmet

Cherry red, gunmetal facemask, and a slightly larger than normal logo.

Jersey

I really like the jagged numbers, it makes me think of ice picks and shards of ice, very mountain-y ( I sound like nike with West Virginia). On the shoulder caps there are sublimated mountains, and there are two jagged rectangles from the collar. I thought they looked cool, and matched the font and modern feel.

Pants

Dark pants, Red jagged stripe. It's meant to look kinda broken

Accessories

Nothing special here. Just plain red gloves, team colored shoes and socks

I really hope you all enjoyed this one, I tried to step outside my comfort zone with an ultra modern jersey/ color scheme and all that. Comments and criticism are always appreciated, I'll do Belgium next unless someone really wants to see another one first! 

This is a good set, just have a couple suggestions and comments.

I liked your idea to use the gray with this cherry red. It compliments it well as you said. I know you said in the accessories that you made the gloves plain, but I thought it would be cool if you put the Switzerland flag on the gloves. Just a suggestion. Otherwise, great job!

IMG_7365.PNG

IMG_7364.PNG

Ah the good ole Tampa Bay Suisse or should I say Switzerland Buccaneers, all jokes aside really like the addition of charcoal and the mountain theme in general, the uniforms come across as jagged and that corresponds with the mountain theme

I was a little hesitant when I saw a different color other than red and white being used for Switzerland. But oh my gosh that uniform is gorgeous.The charcoal and cherry work so well together (and I usually hate charcoal/anthracite. So overused in college these days). I like what you said about the number font and I had that exact thought before I read your explanation and I think it works perfectly. The only thing would be like what BroncoBoy said was to include the flag or something on the gloves. Other than that it's great. 

18 hours ago, Broncoboy7 said:

This is a good set, just have a couple suggestions and comments.

I liked your idea to use the gray with this cherry red. It compliments it well as you said. I know you said in the accessories that you made the gloves plain, but I thought it would be cool if you put the Switzerland flag on the gloves. Just a suggestion. Otherwise, great job!

Yes, that is happening now. Thank you so much for the idea! 

15 hours ago, Jvhn177 said:

Ah the good ole Tampa Bay Suisse or should I say Switzerland Buccaneers, all jokes aside really like the addition of charcoal and the mountain theme in general, the uniforms come across as jagged and that corresponds with the mountain theme

Haha yep, after I finished the logo I just stared at it next to the TB logo side by side for a few minutes. Pretty unintentionally similar, but I think it's distinctive enough.

26 minutes ago, natolian10 said:

I was a little hesitant when I saw a different color other than red and white being used for Switzerland. But oh my gosh that uniform is gorgeous.The charcoal and cherry work so well together (and I usually hate charcoal/anthracite. So overused in college these days). I like what you said about the number font and I had that exact thought before I read your explanation and I think it works perfectly. The only thing would be like what BroncoBoy said was to include the flag or something on the gloves. Other than that it's great. 

It pained me to move away from a red and white, retro, old school look for Switzerland (more like tearing myself away), but I'm very happy with this. Yup those gloves are happening! 

Just now, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Good job on Switzerland 

just noticed WAFL=

image.png

Hahaha welcome to the party amigo!:welcome: (Your profile pic is awesome by the way)

Thank you so much for all the comments! In particular, thank you to these three or four guys consistently commenting, I really appreciate the loyalty! It is possible a team besides Belgium might show up first, I'm having some trouble with them, Regardless, expect some team to pop up in the next day or two!

8 hours ago, hockey week said:

I must say that with Switzerland, the flag is a big plus.

But really, this is a great series, the teams are coming out impressively, keep up the good work!

Thank you! 

7 hours ago, Power_Ranger_Rick said:

The Switzerland logo looks great on the helmet/collar. I like the gray pants as well, it just seems like they're missing something.

I thought that we well but anything else I tried made it look too busy. Any ideas you had would be appreciated!

2 minutes ago, sleuthpanther said:

I thought that we well but anything else I tried made it look too busy. Any ideas you had would be appreciated!

i don't know maybe put a red cross outlined in white opposite the nike swoosh... maybe?

18 hours ago, hockey week said:

I must say that with Switzerland, the flag is a big plus.

But really, this is a great series, the teams are coming out impressively, keep up the good work!

image.jpeg

Excellent!

Finally, Belgium!

BelgiumPromotional_zpsi6bjvdni.png

So when I first started Belgium, they were a very traditional looking team, and I did some boring crest thing for their logo. After I was done, I realized there was another black red and yellow team from that area *coughgermanycough* that I wanted to do a very similar concept for. So I did some snooping, and remembered that the Belgium soccer team is nicknamed the " Red Devils ". That's awesome, so I did it. I'm definitely looking for help with the facial area, but I'm pretty happy with how the rest turned out. The font is ASU Pirates by Conrad, and a scott springer uniform template as usual. Onto the uniforms!

BelgiumHome_zpsnjvif6pm.png

BelgiumAway_zpsjtipcqx3.png

Helmet

I decided to go with a black shell, because I already have another red shell in the conference. Some "horns", tapering stripes, that go down the helmet, and the logo.

Jersey

Very simple jerseys, the colors are already too gaudy. Thought it was nice the numbers matched the pants on both uniforms, tried to emphasize red on both uniforms. On the back collar it says "Onward Devils"

Pants

Yellow for home, red for away. I tried two stripes to match helmet but one looked much better.

Accessories

I thought all black and red everything looked slick. Black socks for both home and away to tie in the helmets. Partial, red only logo on gloves to match socks and cleats.

Even though I'm pretty happy about this concept, I think this a good opportunity to get some real notes about one of these teams. So don't hold back on C&C! Any other teams you would like to see? If not I might just take on France. Have a great day guys!

Archived