FC St. Pauli Rebrand

Victormrey

While I finish the MLS x Umbro series, I wanted to share with you a project I've done.

Let's start talking about FC St. Pauli. "Fußball-Club St Pauli von 1910 e.V., commonly known as simply FC St Pauli, is a German sports club based in the St. Pauli quarter of Hamburg. The men's professional football team dropped down to the Regionalliga in 2003, at that time the third highest football division in Germany and remained there for four years. In 2007, they won promotion back to the 2. Bundesliga and in 2010, they were promoted to the Bundesliga. Since the 2011–12 season, they have played in 2. Bundesliga, which is the second highest division in Germany."

Before showing the rebrand, I wanted to show you their current crest:

FC St Pauli Rebrand Current Crest.png

Now let's explain the rework: 

I decided to make a different approach to the logo. St. Pauli is well known for its fans, who stand out as an important social group, with values such as anti-racism, anti-homophobia and anti-sexism. Also, the Sankt Pauli quarter is a very strong community, quite different to the rest of the city of Hamburg. That’s why for my design I focused on the skull and the shinbones, which is the symbol of St. Pauli’s fans, and it’s currently almost the “alternate” logo of the club. I kept the circle shape, added a wave pattern to the black background, because Hamburg is a Port City. I kept the city’s crest at the bottom of the design, to maintain the link between the club and the city.

And this is the result:

St Pauli Logo Blog.png

I also did a three-kits set, using Under Armour as supplier, which is the brand that will make the club's kit from the incoming season:

The home kit is inspired by the 1994/96 kit, featuring black instead of red. I decided to keep the hoops on the shorts and socks as well to make a more "complete" look.

St Pauli Under Armour Home Kit.png

The away kit is inspired by the city of Hamburg, so it features red as main colour. I decided to use brown as secondary colour, to link the city and the club. The design uses the home kit as base, but featuring pinstripes instead of hoops.

St Pauli Under Armour Away Kit.png

By last, the third kit is inspired by the fans. I decided to use black as main colour, given it's the main colour used by the club supporters, as well as brown details and white logos.

I used a subtle pattern based on the Black Flag logo (a Hardcore Punk band), used in such way that it kind of resembles the waves from the new crest.

St Pauli Under Armour Third Kit.png

I'm also thinking on uploading how the crest would look on the St, Pauli's stadium, web and Twitter account, but I'm not really sure, because I work using MS Paint, and the result is not that good.

C&C appreciated!

13 hours ago, Aggie12 said:

Very bold and good, I am writing this while on my phone and can't see the wave background in the logo, that may just be the phone. I would say for the away kit make the sleeves red, but overall good concept

12 hours ago, XenonDesigns said:

Very solid but I'd make the wave lighter and replace the brown with red. I don't think the brown looks that great imo.

I have made the waves lighter, in the oiriginal design the pattern wasn't really clear:

St Pauli Logo Blog.png

About the colours, I wanted to implement brown because it's the club's main colour, and it's not very common in the World of soccer (or sports in general), using red for the name and stars (plus Hamburg coat of arms, of course), in order to make them stand out.

And about the away kit, this how it looks with red sleeves:

St Pauli Under Armour Away Kit 2.png

I think it's fine, but I actually prefer the brown sleeves version.

Archived