Melody22B

AHBA - Asacan HoopBall Association: 2011 Finals & Final WC Set

53 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Spanna65 said:

Yep. Looking forward to seeing what you produce.

I'll try be clutch and get it done sometime today

So far my two favorite concepts would have to be the Hikaru Heat and the Rondell Lions. For the Heat, I don't think you need the extra red jersey. I'd personally just keep the orange one, unless of course there is some reasoning to having 4 jerseys. (Oh never mind, I read what you said about that :P )

May I ask what design program you are using? I might be able to give some logo design pointers in a PM if you're interested.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, ZionEagle said:

So far my two favorite concepts would have to be the Hikaru Heat and the Rondell Lions. For the Heat, I don't think you need the extra red jersey. I'd personally just keep the orange one, unless of course there is some reasoning to having 4 jerseys. (Oh never mind, I read what you said about that :P )

May I ask what design program you are using? I might be able to give some logo design pointers in a PM if you're interested.

Thanks, I quite like the both of them too. I'm using inkscape, and some help with the logo design would be great!

1 person likes this

19 minutes ago, Melody22B said:

Thanks, I quite like the both of them too. I'm using inkscape, and some help with the logo design would be great!

Great. I personally don't use inkscape, but the logo techniques I use could be translated to inkscape :) I'll see about writing something up for you later today, I have to do some other things first.

1 person likes this

Just now, ZionEagle said:

Great. I personally don't use inkscape, but the logo techniques I use could be translated to inkscape :) I'll see about writing something up for you later today, I have to do some other things first.

No problems!

1 person likes this

And now for the final Northern Conference team and the final team: the Chibihasa Lightning.

Thanks to @Spanna65 for the colour help for this team. This team's whole set is very bright, with the fluro yellow being the catalyst of this.

Chibihasa is also the only team to use a town nickname on the uniforms. As the team starts to get older the fluro will disappear from their colours, to be replaced by a regular bright yellow. I almost didn't do the alt fluro yellow as I thought it would be too much for the fans watching. My other idea was with the grey, and while it won't surface now, there is a high chance that when the Lightning drop fluro yellow, the alt will go grey. 

7fue3w9_sZ4xZCBzYOAr2tEsAcriWrmZRFLmJSAJ

bGsDaWC0U2nMWVbSEkzaO79Q-aDUttY-NFbo1pJw

yDk_-eJolWwdDrKw16FcfmaVM_QMKVBUYj7WLbzQ

-b9qvtVMROIRe6J_X58m4Hn-U-6O5kFozaI-tsd3 

The first season will start very soon, I just have to come up with a way to sim games and what not.

2 people like this

March 19th 2010 - Rondelle, Ocella

Press Release: AHBA Commissioner Karen Raito

"It is with great pleasure that I can announce that the AHBA 2010 season has now officially begun. Tomorrow night marks the first game, with the Chibihasa Lightning up against the Rondelle Lions in Chibihasa. Then on Saturday the Asuka Magic play the Rondelle Queens in Asuka, and the Hikaru Heat are up against the Turrif Raiders in Hikaru on Sunday. I hope everyone is just as excited as I am for this moment." 

Results for Week One and Two up soon.

And here are the week 1 and 2 results!

Week 1         
Chibihasa Lightning 71   80     Rondelle Lions
Asuka Magic 61   60     Rondelle Queens
Hikaru Heat 92     62     Turrif Raiders

Week 2        
Rondelle Lions 68   61    Rondelle Queens
Chibihasa Lightning 71   64    Hikaru Heat
Turrif Raiders 83   72

Asuka Magic              

Wk 1 & 2 Standings.png

Chibihasa come away with one win from their home games. They are looking to show they aren't the worst team early on, despite their lack of talent, by beating the Heat by 7, after losing to the red hot Lions in week one.

The Queens lose by one in their first week match up. They lose again coming up against their "cross-town" rival, the Lions by 7 in week 2, putting them at the bottom of the ladder early.

The Raiders get destroyed in week one by the Heat, but turn it around in week 2 to beat the Magic by 11. 

The Lions look to be on form early with a 9 point win over Chibihasa followed by a 7 point win over their "cross-town" rival, the Queens, the top spot. 

The Heat destroy Turrif in week one by 30 points, but get beaten in week two by Chibihasa in a performance neither team saw coming.

The Magic beat the Queens in week one thanks to a clutch shot off the inbound to Emma Suga, but can't back that performance up in week 2, losing to the Raiders by 11.

1 person likes this

Here is the Week 3 and 4 results. 

I'm not going to say as much regarding the results this week.

Week 3        
Turrif Raiders 90   78   Rondelle Lions
Rondelle Queens 75   90   Chibihasa Lightning
Hikaru Heat 85   56   Asuka Magic

Week 4         
Rondelle Lions 65   55   Asuka Magic
Chibihasa Lightning 63   83   Turrif Raiders
Rondelle Queens 74   87   Hikaru Heat

Wk 3 & 4 Standings.png

The Queens find themselves winless after four weeks, with two bad losses adding to week 1 and 2's bad luck.

The Magic aren't fairing much better, 1-3 after four weeks, with two losses in weeks three and four.

The Lightining, the surprise team of the league sit in 4th at 2-2 after four weeks. They had one win and one loss in the last two weeks.

The Heat, Lions and Raiders are all 3-1 after four weeks, with the only reason Hikaru finding themselves on top being a league best +65 point differential. This three way battle for first could get interesting through the rest of the season.

I might start posting 3 weeks in one post. Not sure. 

And so I have now simulated through the whole regular season!

Final Standings 2010.png

The Raiders had an excellent season,fueled by a total team effort. The Raiders finished at 24 and 6, 5 wins ahead of the next team (and finals opponent) the Heat. Not once other than early in the year were the Raiders anything but first in the standings, with 6 and 7 game winning streaks. Their most impressive stat for the season, however is the fact they were perfect at home. It is highly unlikely we will see a record as good as theirs this season, for a while. Expect the Raiders to be still firing throughout the finals.

The Heat end up as the second placed team, fueled by their star defensive pair Abby Mitchell and Amelie Miyakawa. Finishing 19 and 11, 3 wins ahead of their Northern Conference rival, the Asuka Magic. The Magic, Heat and Lions all had second place at one stage during the season, but a late push and some losses for the other two teams put them in the second spot in the finals.

Getting 3rd only on point differential, the Lions become the beneficiary of a big Week 30 loss from their now rivals, the Asuka Magic, after the last 5 or so weeks being a tight duel between the two teams. The Lions also boast a better home record than the Magic, thanks to their offensive stars Harriet Higashi and Anna Nichols. 

And on the other side of the point differential, the Magic, after a great battle throughout the last weeks with their new rivals, lose out in Week 30 by a large margin, handing the Lions 3rd. The Magic however walk away ironically with a better road record (even after the Week 30 loss to the Lighting), than the Lions. 

The Queens walk away with fifth, and a terrible 8 and 22 record, one game better than the now obvious choice for first pick in the upcoming draft, the Lightning. Early in the season, the Queens looked as if they were going to finish last, but put it together enough to not come last.

The Lightning early in the season looked as if they were going to beat expectations, but that soon changed. Finishing with a league worst 7 and 23 record, the Lightning struggled through the season. A few interesting wins, like a Week 30 destruction of the Magic and only finishing one win behind the Queens, were the highlights of the Lightning's season. Not all is lost. The Lightning now have the highest chance of getting the first pick...

Final Standings 2010 2.png

Coming soon: The Finals

1 person likes this

Also, how did your favourite team do this season? 

I have a favourite team (Hint: second in the Southern conf.) but I definitely  wouldn't show any bias towards them.

Asuka did alright I guess, finished with pretty much an even ratio of wins to losses. The only way is forward for them.

1 person likes this

Asuka did alright I guess, finished with pretty much an even ratio of wins to losses. The only way is forward for them.

@Spanna65 I'd say the Magic will be in a similar situation next year, possibly higher, depending on who they get in the draft, and who they lose in free agency. I know for sure they are losing one of their better players.

I have the results from the 2010 AHBA Finals!

But first, awards from this season:

Most Valuable Player: Summer Bennett, #77 D4, Turrif Raiders

Sixth Woman of the Year: Lilly Swift, #27 O3, Hikaru Heat

(Rookie of the Year will be awarded starting next season) 

After a seven game series, with this season's only overtime game in game six.....

Finals 2010.png

...the Raiders come out on top, taking home the (unnamed) championship trophy for the first time.

The momentum seemed to be with Turrif early, who were favourites to win the first two games due to home court advantage. However they dropped one game at home (game 2), which seemed to give Hikaru the momentum. This was not to be however with strong performances from the Raiders in Game 3 and 4. Hikaru then took games 5 and 6 to tie the series at 3 - 3, their most important of which was the Game 6 victory in OT, led by Sanako Shinohara's clutch shooting. Game 7 meant the Raiders could finish it off at home, which they did exactly, shutting down Hikaru's offense for most of the night, and going on many scoring runs thanks to this. Finals MVP went to league MVP Summer Bennett, for her outstanding defensive play throughout the finals.

Soon, Season 2, 2011 Starts. Start of 2011 will outline trades, player movement, draft and other related items.

1 person likes this

It has been a long time coming, but finally, here comes the 2011 season. 

February 2nd 2011 - Rondelle, Ocella

"After the huge success of the 2010 season, I am pleased to announce that during the 2011-12 Offseason, two expansion teams will be joining the league. At this time all teams are invited to freshen up their branding. More on information regarding expansion will be made available throughout the 2011 season."

The expansion draft and who to save will now certainly be on team's minds. They can't afford to miss a beat, finishing last this year won't "reward" them with the first pick...

Offseason Movement (Pre Draft): Most of the big signings will occur before the AHBA Draft, before decisions for the long term are made.

Emma Suga, #1, O5, Magic. Signed with Queens.

Suzuka Gibbons, #60, O2, Heat. Signed with Lightning.

Megan Murata, #31, D1, Lightning. Traded for Pick #4 to Lions.

Summer Smith, #22, O2, Lightning. Signed with Raiders.

Mahomi Shimoda, #70, O2, Raiders. Signed with Lions.

Along with these moves, were an assortment of dropped/unresigned players. 

2011 AHBA Draft, 10th January 2011, Chiba Energy Center, Chibihasa

Forty talented athletes declared for 2011's draft, all hopeful they would hear their name called on draft night. Held in the last placed team's arena each year, the draft gives a chance for each team to rebuild or obtain assets for the future. The Lightning, with this year's first pick (and the Lions 4th pick) look to improve after last season...

The draft consists of three rounds. The first and second round are based on reverse standings, with the last placed team getting the first pick. Round 3 is done in finishing order, with the top placed team getting the first pick. Also in this years draft, the first player not of Asacan decent to declare for the draft is hoping she will find a place on a team. Hailing from Stertebo,Skallsjö (a near polar country far north of Asaca), Ronja Norström is the first of presumably many internationally born players.

Draft Overview

Picture4.png

Offseason Movement (Post Draft): Generally where teams are filled out and improved with late dropped players and undrafted players now available. During this period, each team must wait their turn to lure a free agent to their team. Ordered in the same way as the first and second rounds of the draft, the worst team gets the best leftovers in the first set of signings.

Grace Joyce, #14, D4. Signed with Lightning.

Taemi Osborne,#22, O2. Signed with Queens.

Amy Birch, #31, O5. Signed with Magic.

Charlotte O'Sullivan, #96, O4. Signed with Heat

Nanao Ochiai, #32, O1. Signed with Queens

Asako Koizumi, #47, D5. Signed with Lions.

Noriko Porter, #62, D4. Signed with Heat
Asami Sugano, #64, O1. Signed with Magic. 

Other Offseason Events: Here will be news on other general items, such as ownership changes, planned rebrands and more.

"In conjunction with the arrival of Ronja Norström, the Skallsjö National HoopBall Team came to Asaca. A variety of players, including Sixth Woman of the Year, Lilly Swift, were brought together to play the Skalls. This marked the first time two countries have played against each other, albeit unofficially. The Asacan team wore their respective AHBA team's home uniform, with the Skalls wearing their new national away uniform. It was an easy win for the Asacans, winning 90 to 65. After the popularity and success of the event, an Asacan National Team has been founded. SB, the uniform suppiler of the AHBA is to be designing and supplying the team's uniforms, which will be released for public reaction soon. There are also talks of hosting a HoopBall World Championship in 2012 in Asaca, with the hope that other national sides will appear." - The Asacan, January 2, 2011. 

"Since the announcement earlier this month of the league expanding, there have been various rumours that a group in Honnaro are planning of building an arena in Honnaro in the hope that it will attract the AHBA's attention and possibly land a team there. AHBA Commissioner, Karen Raito says that there was a "possibility" of a team landing there, however it was not "up to her" but up to "the expansion council" to choose. Honnaran Rapper LBE has thrown support behind the idea, saying she would possibly even go for a minority stake in the team, if it comes." - AsacaHoops, Issue 11, February 2011

National uniforms for the Skalls and Asacans are up next, then rosters for 2011 and then finally, we will jump in to season 2, 2011.

Here are the uniforms for the two national teams. These designs, I feel are much cleaner than the AHBA teams' designs, and after doing these I am excited to tackle a rebrand/branding for 8 teams. Without further ado:

Skallsjö National HoopBall Team

Skallsjo National Team H.pngSkallsjo National Team A.png

I swear I spent most of the time it took to get the Skalls' uniforms created making the flag... Skallsjö's flag (and climate, geography and populace) is inspired by the Scandinavian countries' (Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway) flags. The font I used is available here.

SB aimed to emulate the Skallish Flag with the design for the Skallsjö National HoopBall Team. With the country name and player name in navy and wine on the Home and the numbers in navy and wine on the Away, the Skallish Flag is present in the design without being its own design element. The Skallish Flag is proudly displayed on the right sleeve and on the back at the top in accordance with IHBF rules. A navy and wine alternate was also created, but shelved for possible later use. The uniforms displayed are that of O1 Ronja Norström (#1) and D3 Alice Pitkänen (#23). 

Asaca National HoopBall Team

Asaca National Team Home.pngAsaca National Team Away.pngAsaca National Team Alt.png

I drew inspiration from Team USA's 2014 World Cup Uniforms (Thanks to @kodrinsky for the pic) for Asaca's set. At first, I had a similar triangular stripe design to the Team USA uniforms, but proved too difficult to get the wordmark to bend properly. I came up with the more rounded look instead, which fit better with the rounded A's. 

SB for Asaca's national HoopBall team went with a modern style stripe design that incorporated the Asacan Flag in two different ways. The home uniform (shown as to be worn by reigning ABHA Sixth Woman of the Year, O3 Lilly Swift (#23)) has the top part of the striping purple then the middle black and the bottom yellow. The away extends the yellow into the bottom part of the uniform with the purple replacing the black and the black replacing the yellow in the main striping. The away uniform is shown as to be worn by 2010 AHBA MVP & Finals MVP, D4 Summer Bennett (#14) The alternate has been created as test of public interest of a possible future design. Instead of the large purple section, the striping is extended to fit the three stripes of the Asacan flag. The alternate is shown as to be worn by Chibihasa Lighting O2 Suzuka Gibbons (#2).

HoopBall World Cup:

As reported by The Asacan on January 2, there was a possibility that there could be a "HoopBall World Championship". The Asacan reached out to AHBA Commisioner and now Director of the Asaca National HoopBall Team, Karen Raito to find out more. We can now confirm there will be a "HoopBall World Cup" organised by the newly founded International HoopBall Federation and hosted in 2012 somewhere in Asaca, most likely Rondelle. There is hope at least 6 teams make it for the inaugural event. - The Asacan, February 20, 2011

C&C is much appreciated. Rosters for 2011 will be up in around 2 weeks time, then the 2011 Season can begin...

1 person likes this

2011 AHBA Rosters

All teams have released their season opening rosters. They show the various trades and signings throughout the offseason and an overall team rating, calculated from each players rating, shown here as offensive, defensive and overall overall. An O denotes an offensive player and D denotes a defensive player. Any player below the halfway line on each team's roster is a bench player.

Southern Conference:

Rondelle Queens 2011 Roster.pngRondelle Lions 2011 Roster.pngTurrif Raiders 2011 Roster.png

Northern Conference:

Asuka Magic 2011 Roster.pngHikaru Heat 2011 Roster.pngChibihasa Lighting 2011 Roster.png

The 2011 AHBA season will begin shortly, with standings from 10 weeks put up at a time.

1 person likes this

March 19th 2011 - Rondelle, Ocella

"It is with great pleasure that I can announce that the AHBA 2011 season has now officially begun. Tomorrow night marks the first game, with the Asuka Magic up against the Turrif Raiders in Asuka. Then on Monday, the Rondelle Queens play the Chibihasa Lighting at Air Asaca Arena, and the Rondelle Lions are up against the Hikaru Heat at Air Asaca Arena on Tuesday. We will find out if the Raiders can make it two Championships in a row this season or if the Heat will come to take the championship they nearly had last season. I will be present at Monday night's game to see some of the excellent action myself."

It's that time of year again... Will the Raiders repeat? Will the Heat win the championship they nearly had last year, this year? Will another team come out of nowhere? Are the Lightning still the worst team? All these questions and more will be answered in the 2011 AHBA Season. 

Week 1 to Week 5 Results:

Week 1-5 Results.png

The first 5 games have been rough for the defending champs, the Raiders, going 1-4 in the first 5 games. The team seems out of sync, and doesn't seem to be as strong defensively as of late. Their undefeated regular season home stand carried through from last season, by was ended at 16 games by the Queens in Week 4. 

Northern Conference Champions, the Hikaru Heat, have had an excellent start to the season going 4-1 in the first five games, including a three game home win streak. The Heat may be hard to beat at the end of the season, as they look more locked in on defense. This is all despite losing one of their best players in free agency to the Lighting. 

Last year's third place finishers, the Rondelle Lions, look to grab a spot in the Finals this year, with what some are calling the best roster in the league. They however haven't lived up to this hype, going 2-3 in the first five games, winning only one of their 3 games at home during their homestand. 

The Asuka Magic, who finished fourth last year, have had a good start to the season, going 3-2 in the first 5 games. They don't seem to be noticing any differences offensively, despite losing O5 Emma Suga to the Queens in free agency. The Magic seem to be on track of finishing roughly where they finished last season, and that can only be taken positively.

The Rondelle Queens, fifth last year, with the second pick in the 2011 AHBA Draft, seemed to have ironed out some kinks from last season, finishing Week 5 at 2-3, like their hometown rivals, the Lions. 3 losses straight is not a positive looking stat, but go into the next 5 weeks on a 2 game win streak. Is the pressure on their dual O5 starting lineup to high to perform? 

The Chibihasa Lighting, last year's bottom dwellers, did awfully well for themselves in this years draft and free agency to find themselves 3-2 after 5 games. The team looks much, much better than last year on paper, and that has translated to the court. Free agent siging, O2, Suzuka Gibbons, has been a big boost to their offense, putting up numbers that some believe may win her the MVP this season.

Week 6 to Week 10 Results:

Week 6-10 Results.png 

Standings after Week 10:

Week 10 Standings.png

Week 10 is now upon us. Week 9 was extremely exciting with not one but two games going into overtime, with one even going into Double OT! Many Heat and Magic fans were on the edge of their seats, and so was the whole country, with the biggest viewership of any AHBA regular season game. Only last year's finals Game 6 and 7 were more watched, and this speaks to the popularity of the game in Asaca. 2012 can't come any sooner! 

After 10 weeks, we can finally start to get a bigger and better picture of how the season will pan out for the 6 teams. 

The Raiders can't seem to dig themselves out of the hole they dug in the first 5 weeks, instead digging themselves deeper. The team is still switched on offensively, but the -44 Point Differential suggests they still aren't defensively. Currently 3-7, they sit last only by Point Differential. The other teams have stepped up this year, and they will have to step up theirs in the next two thirds of the season if they even want a chance at defending their title. 

The Magic, who looked to be staying level to where they finished last year, 5 weeks ago, they sit 5th on 3-7, ahead of the Raiders only by Point Differential. The extra road loss compared to the Raiders is concerning, but is nothing to worry about yet. This team finally may be starting to feel the effects of not only starting a rookie, but the loss of Emma Suga. The Magic will need to be better from here on out if they wish to finish fourth once again. Their heartbreaking Double OT loss to the Heat has gone down as the most watched regular season game ever, and that spotlight saw them score no points in the second overtime, suggesting yet again, offense needs improvement.

The Queens, who are fourth on 4-6 boast a losing record, but seem to have their defense sorted this season. The -7 Point Differential is much lower in the negatives than their bottom half compatriots, the Magic and Raiders, and shows signs of improvement. Their dual O5 starting lineup of Emma Suga (#1) and Natasha Barber (#36) seems to have started to gel, giving them an interesting advantage inside. Their OT loss to the bottom sitting Raiders wasn't pretty despite only losing by two. Foul trouble seemed to hurt them that game, with them unable to send out the players they would have liked in OT. If they can stay fourth, they should have a good year and can build from there. 

The third placed Chibihasa Lighting (6-4) may only be there on point differential, but are still not in a situation to go to the Finals with the Heat sitting top. The improvements this season have been huge and the fact that they are 1 game away from matching last years win total in 10 games says a lot on how well they did out of the draft. People questioned the Megan Murata trade, and continue to, due to the fact the Lions are in front of them, but overall that trade has gone well for them. Their rookies are showing what they can do and it has helped them immensely off the bench. Their week 10 loss (to the red hot Heat) ruined their perfect home record, but they are going strength to strength, and may even cause the red hot Hikaru Heat some issues, especially with early MVP candidate Suzuka Gibbons (#2) leading the way. 

The 6-4 Rondelle Lions sitting in first place in the Southern Conference shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, especially because the the rest of the South  haven't been that great. They can't seem to silence the naysayers however, sitting second overall only on Point Differential. That Point Differential gap of +14 is somewhat significant however. "They should be first overall!" they all say, and admittedly on paper, yes they should, but sometimes how a team looks on paper is different to how the team performs on court. A big win against the Lightning in Week 9 was easily overshadowed, but no less significant, especially for a team gunning for the top spot. Trade pick up Megan Murata (#31) seems to be an early pick for Sixth Woman of the Year, showing her stuff in her new home in Rondelle. The only team standing in their way in the quest for the top seed is the red hot Heat and if they keep this up, they may be even able to knock the Heat off the top.

Everyone thought the loss of Suzuka Gibbons would kill the (8-2) Heat's chance of going back to the Finals. I guess they forgot to tell the Heat that... Hikaru's dominance as of late reminds many people of last years champions, the Turrif Raiders. When asked about the similarities between the Heat and last years Raiders, D5 Abby Mitchell (#59) said that :"While there are some similarities defensively, we (the Heat) are just hungry to get that title that we were so close to winning last year." Mitchell herself has been amazing  and is another early candidate for MVP. The Heat have two hungry teams just two games back from them and need to at least finish ahead of the Lightning and Magic, if they want to go back to the finals. If they continue this dominance, I see them hoisting that championship trophy up high come the end of October/ November.

Other News:

"The Rondelle Queens are already rumoured to be in contact with AHBA and ANT uniform supplier SB regarding new uniforms and logos for next season." - Hoopballfeed.com.ac, May 1 2011

"Rumors from a source close to the Lions organisation suggest that the Lions may not even change their logo and uniforms next season, as the current set seems to be resonating with the fans and selling well." - AsacaHoops, Issue 14, May 2011

I have literally been up all night writing this... internet kept cutting out... Anyways, weeks 11-20 will be out sometime soon. Let me know how your favourite team is doing, and if you've never commented here before, please do, just pick a team, and I will tell you all you need to know... Enjoy!

On 8/13/2016 at 8:12 PM, Melody22B said:

And now for the second Northern Conference team: the Asuka Magic.

Colours and name are obviously inspired by the Orlando Magic, but instead of white as a secondary colour and black as a tertiary, I used a second shade of blue and grey. The logo with the star A is also inspired by early Magic jerseys. For a while I messed around with various uses of the stars, and then settled on what you see below. Overall, a simple-ish set. 

MCJAa-59Dn6ARV7JUQD60_N7-aH3J_Woe6j2QWaBxEujXL4spS64NBsTxapNGYBzliQJG76vZxzTScbrYh2jPa965gvkmN_zsdl8NS21GCMG2N_rTb-l3zQU60vSNuDi31sNn_ghzpzEQMevwh3xLHjd3zvTECWkVowirafK_KYqnoBVMX3NS4zgPbpj5BOTVY498m-2

This time I'm 75% sure this will be the last of the week.

As usual comments/criticisms appreciated. 

The question from the last team still stands.

I'd also like to ask for help with the last team, the Chibihasa Lightning. What should I do colour wise?  I was thinking about black or blue and yellow?

asuka like in wwe

C'mon Magic!