I dream my painting and I paint my dream

Mings

Does using water color to "colorize" a B&W photo count as something to add to the thread? I ask because it was part of one of my photography classes at Ohio State. I thought a couple of them turned out pretty good, but I didn't exactly paint the subjects. I just added color to them. 

BB52Big.jpg

9 hours ago, Mings said:

@oldschoolvikings @daniel75 Do you guys scan your paintings? If so before or after varnish?

Also, I've officially sold a painting and said church's wants to display my work for sale in it! I better get going on more paintings. Not bad for a hobby.

I use a digital camera.  Some of those images, if they're older, might be scans of slides. Scanning the painting directly is kind of out of the question since my standard size (probably more than half) is 52" X 40".   And I generally don't varnish at all... they are acrylic, which is already annoyingly shiny, and fairly indestructible.   

This is a really inspiring thread and now one of my favorites that I've viewed in the CCSLC over the past decade. 

I've dabbled in the area of painting and doing craftsy projects, but nothing like some of the stellar work here. 

I do have a few questions if anyone would be kind enough to answer:

What mediums do you guys find the easiest to paint with? Are there any brands of paint and/or brushes that make a huge difference in quality of work? Do you sketch out your designs on paper (or the canvas) beforehand, or just kinda go for it? 

I'd love to get back into painting, I find it very cathartic, but I'm not sure where to begin. 

@oldschoolvikings I'm floored by your work! You have such a unique style that really represents itself well on the canvas. 

• Like 1

Heitert, I use Liquitex Heavy Body acrylic paints. My brushes are a hodgepodge, and I always sketch in charcoal on the canvas before paintings, but usually end up deviating from the sketch some depending on if the painting calls for it. My advice - just go for it.

I finished the painting I was working on this morning. Check it out! It is Fire Station 4 by Venturi Scott Brown Associates in Columbus, Indiana. The edge of the canvas is a different brick color as the fire tower makes a similar transition.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a few commissions for dog owners.  It started when an elderly lady approached me at a gallery opening and asked me if I'd consider doing a portrait of her dog.  I told her I really didn't do that sort of thing, I was pretty sure she'd be disappointed.  When I start a painting, I can't really promise where it'll go, what colors I'd use, etc.  She said that was fine, that she liked my style, and just wanted to see what I'd come up with.  She also offered to pay me half up front.  Then she showed me a picture of her dog... an incredibly old one-eyed pekanese... at that point I was sold.  Here's what the poor old guy looked like;

Picture2_zps82jwz91b.jpg

And here's what I gave her;

Picture1_zps8glqccel.png

Strangely enough, she loved it.  Word got around a bit and I've since done a few more...

150956_4190206198087_1770196806_n.jpg?oh

380693_4190315120810_510011065_n.jpg?oh=

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, Mings said:

It's been a while, here's my latest. Based off a project my firm worked on, but pretty abstracted.

IMG_1365.JPG

Are the blue square on the same plane as the rest?  If so, very good job with the shading.  The look to be lower than the green squares.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So yeah, here's another one. This one is a landscape of a place named Eggum in the Lofoten Islands of Norway. Visited in September during my trip, and it's a great place to watch Northern Lights, there are more sheep than people, and it was a Nazi radar station at one time. The amphitheater and new architecture are by Snohetta. I think I finished tonight but may be some small tweaks.

IMG_0052.JPG

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Mings said:

Well damn it's like I'm posting to myself at this point.

FWIW, I'm keeping up on the thread and reading all the posts. Unfortunately, my art critic chops basically consist of "wow, that's really good" or "it's good work, but not my style." I didn't see my limited knowledge adding much to the conversation.

Anyway, the geometric/abstract is very interesting. 

BB52Big.jpg

I'm not much of an artist but I'd like to put some time into it if I could only find the time.  I took an introductory art class to fill an art credit at my old school and for the last project we had to put two or more separate photos together and paint them with respect to a certain color grouping.  I chose the complementary colors orange and blue, using a photo of an iceberg, choppy seas, and an orange and gray sky and came up with this.

IMG_1006.JPG

It's not perfect but for a first time painting, I'm pretty proud.  I think the left side of the water is pretty solid while the right side is pretty bad.

• Like 3

IUe6Hvh.png