I dream my painting and I paint my dream

Mings

19 minutes ago, See Red said:

I'm not much of an artist but I'd like to put some time into it if I could only find the time.  I took an introductory art class to fill an art credit at my old school and for the last project we had to put two or more separate photos together and paint them with respect to a certain color grouping.  I chose the complementary colors orange and blue, using a photo of an iceberg, choppy seas, and an orange and gray sky and came up with this.

IMG_1006.JPG

It's not perfect but for a first time painting, I'm pretty proud.  I think the left side of the water is pretty solid while the right side is pretty bad.

I really like it. Just my interpretation, but the first word that comes to mind when I look at it is powerful - if that makes any sense. (See what I was saying about my critical chops, Josh?) 

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

Art is all about how it make you feel! Your critical chops are just fine.

See Red, when I do landscapes I base off a photo, but never strictly copy it if I feel the painting calls for something else. For example the photo of Eggum I based my painting off of had the mountains in the background completely in shadow and dark due to the sun coming from the South. As you can see, I brought out the detail in the mountains more. In addition, the Norwegian government added a deck and seating to the amphitheater over the years, which I took out to capture the original spirit of the building, and of course I didn't paint the sheep poop that was everywhere. It's all about your artistic license as a painter.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mings said:

Nice! I used to love going to the levee and just look at the skyline at night. Newport at the Levee is pretty decent too...and the Party Source

The back patio at Brothers in Newport has my favorite view of the city. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

59 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Just finished this commission for someone... I think it was a Christmas present for a wife/GF...

IMG_0465_zpsefjs9fya.jpg?t=1482845602

IMG_2069_zpstzja3spe.jpg

This is great. I love how the background captures the spirit of the animal. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

Agree with McCarthy, this is great! I love the style. Are you using grounds or just laying on paint thickly?

I'm getting ready to start on another building in a landscape. There is a photo that I took at the Hamsunsenteret that I loved compositionally and subject-wise, but because the sun was coming into the camera it didn't come out as I had hoped. Luckily, my paintbrush can change that.

On 12/28/2016 at 8:37 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

Just finished this commission for someone... I think it was a Christmas present for a wife/GF...

IMG_0465_zpsefjs9fya.jpg?t=1482845602

IMG_2069_zpstzja3spe.jpg

Love it. You really captured the essence of that pup. And like everyone else, I love the background. Mighty fine work, OldSchool. 

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

3 hours ago, infrared41 said:

So...I got this Visa gift card for Christmas. I've been kicking around the idea of trying my hand at painting. Now I'm thinking of spending the gift card on some materials. Any suggestions for a good "starter" set up? 

What I would do is head to Blick, get a canvas pad, something to attach the canvas paper to and to paint on, some palette paper, one of the Liquidtex paint kits that has several colors in it, and one of the brush packs that Blick sells. I've been adding to my sets as I need to for different items and have amassed quite a collection.

After you get a base kit going, start playing around and finding what you like. 

On 12/30/2016 at 0:30 PM, Mings said:

Agree with McCarthy, this is great! I love the style. Are you using grounds or just laying on paint thickly?

I do a kind of complicated primer technique.  One thin coat of gesso, followed by a thick coat with a little fine sand added, then a final coat of straight gesso.  I like the texture, and it gives me the ability to pull some broken layers of color.  Plus, I just paint pretty thick anyway.

I guess I'll throw a few of my pieces up here. I started painting two years ago as a way to relax and haven't stopped since. I use oil paint on canvas. I have no training/classes to my name and struggle doing any kind of detail so my style is very abstract and erratic. Basically just shapes and colors.

"Underpaid" 48x36

Underpaid.jpg

"Self-Titled" 40x30

"Julius Swerving Pt. III" 24x30

"I Wanna Get Killed By The Government" 40x30

• Like 6

jNTsTyQ.png

I don't know what those are supposed to be but I love the second and third ones -- the colors you used especially.

I'm, like Infrared, by the way.  Not much of an art critic beyond giving some basic opinions.

• Like 1

IUe6Hvh.png

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! I'm taking a break from working on another one so here's a progress pic. It's the Hamsunsenteret by Steven Holl. So essentially one of my favorite architects + one of my favorite authors + my favorite country = Mingsgasm.

Still have a lot of the detail work to do on building, trees, grasses, etc... Sky is kind of done maybe. Going to see how everything looks before adding clouds. 

IMG_0109.JPG

• Like 2