International Football 16-17

ninersdd

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 14/12/2016 at 4:00 PM, wences said:

In Spain everybody's talking about the 'fantastic' luck of Real Madrid in the Champions League draw every year.

Honestly. Something's wrong with the Libertadores champions. On the last six years, 3 champions did not advance to the Final. This includes the 2006 world champion and now relegated Sport Club Internacional (2010 Libertadores champion), the Clube Atlético Mineiro (2013 Libertadores champion) and Colombia's Club Atlético Nacional (2016 Libertadores champion) who had the support from the fans of Associação Chapecoense de Futebol (2016 Sudamericana champion), who sadly was deeply affected by a horrific air tragedy last november and from the entire Brazilian football, but didn't make the final thanks to eventual runners-up Kashima Antlers.

2 hours ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

Honestly. Something's wrong with the Libertadores champions. On the last six years, 3 champions did not advance to the Final. This includes the 2006 world champion and now relegated Sport Club Internacional (2010 Libertadores champion), the Clube Atlético Mineiro (2013 Libertadores champion) and Colombia's Club Atlético Nacional (2016 Libertadores champion) who had the support from the fans of Associação Chapecoense de Futebol (2016 Sudamericana champion), who sadly was deeply affected by a horrific air tragedy last november and from the entire Brazilian football, but didn't make the final thanks to eventual runners-up Kashima Antlers.

I was talking about the European Champions League. I didn't say anything about the Club's World Cup.

whereicomefrom.png

• 2 weeks later...

A chap in the local sporting media has tweeted that the players have apparently been told by the owners to expect a new manager to be in place later this week.

Mind, given that tomorrow marks 1,000 days since said owners stated the club was up for sale and that they'd be gone in 24 hours you might like to take that with a very large pinch of salt.

On 04/01/2017 at 0:13 AM, Jaffa said:

A chap in the local sporting media has tweeted that the players have apparently been told by the owners to expect a new manager to be in place later this week.

Mind, given that tomorrow marks 1,000 days since said owners stated the club was up for sale and that they'd be gone in 24 hours you might like to take that with a very large pinch of salt.

...looks like the local journo was right. I have no idea whether this is a good appointment or not to be honest. I guess it all depends whether the owners back him during the transfer window and if so, will they buy sensibly?

Marco Silva: Hull City appoint ex-Sporting & Olympiakos boss

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

7 hours ago, marble21 said:

I guess it all depends whether the owners back him during the transfer window and if so, will they buy sensibly?

That's the question. Vice-Chairman and noted buffoon Ehab Allam put a rare statement out yesterday, saying that the current squad needs only 'two or three key additions' during this transfer window - a very optimistic opinion at best. I can't see us spending much money, given how the owners have been more focused on taking it out rather than putting it in.

It's worth noting too that Silva has only been appointed until the end of the season, so it's fair to say that if we go down he won't be sticking around.

And as an aside - this is the first time that Hull City have appointed a manager who's younger than I am. I'm getting old. :blush: 

32 minutes ago, Nyk33 said:

This means they really want to increase the chances of China & India qualifying for the World Cup. 

The USA could possibly handle this by itself, but going on from here you'll be seeing more joint bids or some way of keeping teams in a group in a set stadium or area. With the USA you could see a layout like this:

New York-Boston

Philadelphia-Washington

San Jose-San Francisco

Los Angeles-San Diego

Atlanta-Miami

Cleveland-Pittsburgh

Chicago-Minneapolis

Dallas-Houston

Denver-Salt Lake

Portland(Beaverton)-Seattle

With three team groups you could have 2 groups sit in the same general area to utilize resources. The biggest issue is how are these teams going to split practice time, because even if you use college and MLS stadiums for practice facilities you don't have guarantees that every area will have everything these teams will need. It may become a case of, Team A is playing in LA, practicing at the Olympic Center in Chula Vista and having to bus in or take a quick flight in for the game. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

From BBC - Uefa have released a statement on the news that the World Cup will be expanded to 48 teams from 2026.

“During the Fifa Council meeting in Zurich, it was clear that all other confederations were overwhelmingly in favour of expanding the Fifa World Cup to 48 teams starting in 2026. As a result, Uefa decided to join in supporting the new format of the competition," it says.

"Uefa is satisfied that it succeeded in postponing the final decision regarding the slot allocation of every confederation in the future format of the Fifa World Cup.

"We would also like to state that we are happy that the new proposed length and format of the tournament does not increase the burden on players. We will also ensure that clubs’ interests will continue to be protected.”

We don't like it but if Bobby didn't get to bring Suzy and Suzy didn't bring jake it'd screw up our chances of getting more of what we want later. See? We aren't useless!

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

16 hours ago, dfwabel said:

A 48-team World Cup for 2026?

I don't think the increase in the number of teams will be as bad as I originally thought. Euro 2016 was generally quite exciting in the early stages with a lot of teams competing for the first time or first time in a generation. Granted, the latter stages were a bit of an anti-climax and the 'best' 3rd place teams going through wasn't ideal. What concerns me is the change in format. The current system pretty much guarantees you need to win a game to advance. This new system doesn't do that and could lead to some negative tactics. I'd also be interested to see how the seeding would work for the last 32 as I have some concerns about that too.

28 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

The biggest issue is how are these teams going to split practice time, because even if you use college and MLS stadiums for practice facilities you don't have guarantees that every area will have everything these teams will need. It may become a case of, Team A is playing in LA, practicing at the Olympic Center in Chula Vista and having to bus in or take a quick flight in for the game. 

It's pretty much standard practice that international teams operate from a single base during a tournament, travelling to each game when required. I don't think anything would need to change from that in your example.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Archived