International Football 16-17

ninersdd

So, we could wind up with a playoff for fourth place and the last Champions League spot. Liverpool has 73 points and a +33 goal differential, while Arsenal have 72 points and a +31 GD. If my math is right, if Arsenal draw with Everton and Liverpool lose by two goals to Middlesbrough, then they've have the same number of points and the same goal differential, and a playoff at a neutral ground would be necessary.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Arsenal's win over Sunderland (lol), the race for top 4 goes down to the final day. City are pretty much guaranteed a spot (they would have to lose AND Arsenal would have to win by like 4-6 goals), so it's down to Liverpool and Arsenal. It's in Liverpool's hands - if they win, they're in. If Arsenal lose, they're in. Sundays match is MASSIVE for Liverpool. 

HOLY COW it's Wednesday and I'm already super nervous for Sunday. Come on Liverpool!!!!!

spacer.png

Looking back on my early season predictions from this thread.  Nailed some:

On 8/4/2016 at 6:09 PM, Crabcake47 said:

(talking of potential signings of the season)

Kante to Chelsea

On 7/28/2016 at 11:53 AM, Crabcake47 said:

5. Arsenal - This is the breaking point for the Gunners.  Xhaka will be good but Arsenal simply don't have the firepower up front (or the talent in general, for that matter) to compete with the top 4.  With the Gunners out of the Champions League for the first time since the Stone Age, Wenger will be sacked.  Alexis will follow him out the door, and possibly Ozil too.

Others, not so much:

2. Manchester United - As much as I love to see the Red devils fail, their acquisitions this year (both on the field and on the touchline) should pretty much guarantee then top-3.  Zlatan won't be a failure, but he will show his age.  If they get Pogba, he will do good but he won't just boss teams like he's expected to (For comparison last year: Pogba: 42 apps for Juventus, 9 goals, 12 assists, will cost United around £112m; Milner: 30 apps for Liverpool, 5 goals, 11 assists, cost nothing).  Mkhitaryan will be their best acquisition.

7. West Ham - If they add Bacca, their chances of moving up go up astronomically.  Bilic is a talented manager that complements a talented squad.  Expect them to challenge for domestic trophies.

8. Leicester City - The loss of Kante is a bigger loss than the possible departures of Vardy and/or Mahrez imo.  He was their energy, their engine room, the player that made them tick.  Now that he's gone, keeping Mahrez is priority No. 1, and if they do, they should comfortably be a top-half team next year.  If Mahrez stays, expect there to be no more than 6/7 points between them and Liverpool.

spacer.png

Granted the kids beat Palace 2-0, but I think they proved that the EPL should put more trustbin the academies. Unfortunately, half of that lineup will be on loan in the Championship next year. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

22 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

Looking back on my early season predictions from this thread.  Nailed some:

Others, not so much:

2. Manchester United - As much as I love to see the Red devils fail, their acquisitions this year (both on the field and on the touchline) should pretty much guarantee then top-3.  Zlatan won't be a failure, but he will show his age.  If they get Pogba, he will do good but he won't just boss teams like he's expected to (For comparison last year: Pogba: 42 apps for Juventus, 9 goals, 12 assists, will cost United around £112m; Milner: 30 apps for Liverpool, 5 goals, 11 assists, cost nothing).  Mkhitaryan will be their best acquisition.

Yeah, that didn't quite pan out. What a disappointing season, even with winning some second-rate trophies (League Cup and hopefully the Europa League).

9 hours ago, kroywen said:

Yeah, that didn't quite pan out. What a disappointing season, even with winning some second-rate trophies (League Cup and hopefully the Europa League).

I'm not complaining :DB)

spacer.png

So, the most exciting two weeks of the year for soccer fans roll on. Well, at least it is for me. German relegation matches, playoffs to the PL, Champions League final and of course I'm excited because of the Europa League final today. Go Ajax!

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

Man CIty just signed Monaco star Bernardo Silva for 43 million pounds (I think).  Anything but the title has to be a failure for them next year.

spacer.png

I was an absolute wreck today. Totti became captain when I was a year old. There has never been and never will be someone with his ability to create chances with his back to goal. There have been multi-year relationships that I was less emotionally invested about leaving than today.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Archived