International Football 16-17

ninersdd

On 07/09/2016 at 0:05 AM, 2001mark said:

#CANMNT

GDDRWkA.gif

I am so sick & f'n tired of this.  The entire association needs to be burned to the ground & skulled.  Either game up, man up, & learn to defeat second world nations in this the next to easiest f'ing confederation on the planet, or quit the f'ing game.  It's absurd, it's completely unacceptable.  

Maybe we should join Oceania because we have a Pacific coast.

Hey, Australia joined the Asian confederation, so it can always work.

There's no reason that Canada should miss the hex.

Also, so glad Ligue 1 returns this weekend

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

I'm watching the Chelsea game(my theoretical team in the premier league), and i can't bring myself to care really. 

Premier league does nothing for me.

Too me it's Chelsea that does nothing. They've been so plainly awful to watch for so long that I generally avoid them unless they play United. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 hours ago, DiePerske said:

I'm watching the Chelsea game(my theoretical team in the premier league), and i can't bring myself to care really. 

Premier league does nothing for me.

I don't see how any American can root for a European team at all unless they have some sort of family connection to the team in question.

I know other Americans are able to somehow care for a team randomly but I guess I'm just picky as :censored: when it comes to picking soccer teams.

I can hate teams without any problems but I have a hard time finding a team that I like.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

1 minute ago, Nyk33 said:

I don't see how any American can root for a European team at all unless they have some sort of family connection to the team in question.

I know other Americans are able to somehow care for a team randomly but I guess I'm just picky as :censored: when it comes to picking soccer teams.

I can hate teams without any problems but I have a hard time finding a team that I like.

I am a proud francophone, and my French language is very, very important to me. 

My fandom is always localized, because it is what makes sense to me. I forget how I started liking l'OM in 7th grade(2005-2006),but it's what stuck. As a result of my liking l'OM, RC Toulon is my rugby team, because of the ties to Marseille.

For most, you find a team and you stick to it naturally, by watching games as a neutral. For me, while I dont remember, it's always been Marseille.

Also, minority opinion i know, but I would rather watch Ligue 1 over any other domestic league

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

4 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

I am a proud francophone, and my French language is very, very important to me. 

My fandom is always localized, because it is what makes sense to me. I forget how I started liking l'OM in 7th grade(2005-2006),but it's what stuck. As a result of my liking l'OM, RC Toulon is my rugby team, because of the ties to Marseille.

For most, you find a team and you stick to it naturally, by watching games as a neutral. For me, while I dont remember, it's always been Marseille.

Also, minority opinion i know, but I would rather watch Ligue 1 over any other domestic league

This kind of highlights my problem is that I don't really feel the need to watch any of the major European leagues.

The Bundesliga & Ligue 1 has had a recent history of one team dominating everything making it not fun.

I'm not a fan of Real Madrid & Barca so I'm not prone to watching La Liga.

Serie A games usually don't excite me very much.

As for the Premier League I'm discovering that I have an intense disliking for anything involving England when it comes to the sport. Watching Iceland knock out England was the highlight of the Euros for me by far.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

21 minutes ago, Nyk33 said:

Part of it for me is that until 1996 I didn't see American soccer teams on a weekly basis. Being out in the sticks of northern Ohio we'd get a Premier League/First Division game every now and then, a cup final and US qualifiers when they'd get beat 4-0 and not even know how to properly do a throw in. So growing up we hardly got other leagues and being so far north, no Mexican soccer either. I never really saw that until I moved to Texas, I just knew who the big teams were based on tournaments against United.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 hours ago, Berlin Wall said:

Balotelli is back!

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves here. Remember, he almost scored on his Liverpool debut too, and we all know how that worked out...

spacer.png

On 12/09/2016 at 1:20 AM, Nyk33 said:

This kind of highlights my problem is that I don't really feel the need to watch any of the major European leagues.

The Bundesliga & Ligue 1 has had a recent history of one team dominating everything making it not fun.

As for the Premier League I'm discovering that I have an intense disliking for anything involving England when it comes to the sport. Watching Iceland knock out England was the highlight of the Euros for me by far.

Swansea City are an option surely?

The Right will always be wrong,

Conservatives-Dragging the world kicking and screaming into the 19th century.

On 9/11/2016 at 8:20 PM, Nyk33 said:

Leverkusen are a decent team that have a high pressing, high tempo system that is fun to watch. Lot of parity within the midtable in the Bundesliga as well. I would maybe give them a go. They play in Europe, as well.

La Liga is a bit hard to get into, I only really watch Barca and Real play just because I love the way they play, everything is so crisp and exquisite. I'm not really a fan of either team but I don't find it hard to appreciate as a neutral.

I can definitely agree with Serie A.

I mostly watch the Premeira Liga (Benfica, gpops was a fan, keep up with Santa Clara but it's impossible to watch in NA) and the PL.

Premier League is the easiest to get into as a North American. The most parity available, everything is broadcast in English, and the fight for the league is always exciting (when Aguero won it for City in the last minute of the season, or Leicester's run this year ). I mean, if you don't like England, you don't like England. However, it's not as if the league has an overwhelming majority of English players (or managers, therefore style of play). Definitely the most "international" of the Big 4 (or 5, or 6).

I mostly support Arsenal because a. I like Arsene Wenger, his transfer dealings/policy, his story, the stability he brings and b. I like watching the style of football. I get what you are saying re: personal connection to like a team, but I don't feel as though I have to prove my fandom to myself or anyone else. As long as I enjoy watching every weekend, it's enough for me (I suppose that is your problem, though).

Being a fan of club football and Formula 1 has given me the appreciation to be as excited for continental qualification and relegation battles as I am for the league winner. I think being so focused on the sole winner is a bit of an American quality (not that I blame you or anyone else, that's just the way it is here) that doesn't translate well to European sports. I suppose what I'm trying to say here is, I didn't become a fan of who I am a fan of because I expect them to win or at least have a chance to win every season. Watched some games, read about the club's history, and that was that, really.

Archived