Complete Sports Towns

SkyCal

So I have an idea that I would like for others to contribute to.  Boston, Detroit, New York, Chicago etc, are all complete sports towns, meaning they have all 4 professional sports.  Sorry soccer!  I would like to get a thread going of some of you picking a city that does NOT have all 4 professional league teams and coming up with multiple concepts to complete the city.  

I am going with Jacksonville, FL.  I will first present an identity for an NBA team, then NHL and MLB.  I will post them as I complete them and then put them all together in a final presentation along with the currently established Jaguars.

First up, the Jacksonville Freebirds.  The Freebird name was inspired by Jacksonville being the hometown of the southern rock legends, Lynyrd Skynyrd.  Jacksonville also has a significant military history and population hence the patriotic color scheme and logo elements of an eagle and flag.  Uniforms coming soon!

freeb.png

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Zeus89725 said:

New Orleans doesn't have hockey, so it's not a complete sports city.

The concept here is to fill in the blanks and make your own teams in those respective sports to make it a complete sports town. New Orleans would be a target that makes sense here.

Jacksonville doesn't have an NBA, MLB nor NHL franchise. So this is pretty cool, Sky. Keep it up.

Now to pick a town...

10 hours ago, MBVSWB said:

Could you maybe do New Orleans next?

New Orleans definitely fits the criteria for an incomplete sports town.  I plan on doing a few cities and will definitely consider New Orleans, but I am hoping to inspire others to throw some concepts of their own in too. 

53 minutes ago, Zeus89725 said:

New Orleans doesn't have hockey, so it's not a complete sports city.

Denver is though! I'd love to see you do my hometown.

Denver is an example of a complete sports town.  I am looking for people to choose cities that only have 1,2, or 3 of the 4 and to complete the town with their own concepts.  Denver already has pretty strong branding across the board so I am not sure a rebrand would be the right move either.

45 minutes ago, NSLthe2nd said:

The concept here is to fill in the blanks and make your own teams in those respective sports to make it a complete sports town. New Orleans would be a target that makes sense here.

Jacksonville doesn't have an NBA, MLB nor NHL franchise. So this is pretty cool, Sky. Keep it up.

Now to pick a town...

You got the idea! 

Here are some cities I can think off the top of my head:

Portland

San Diego

Oklahoma City

Indianapolis

Sacramento

San Antonio

Milwaukee

Nashville

New Orleans

Salt Lake City

4 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Looking forward to what you have in mind for Chicago, especially for MLB!

Chicago is a complete town, you missed the point of his concept.  He is planning to fill in the blanks for cities that do not have all 4 of the major sports (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL)

3 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Chicago is a complete town, you missed the point of his concept.  He is planning to fill in the blanks for cities that do not have all 4 of the major sports (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL)

I just realized that my initial post was worded a little vaguely, so I just updated it because it seems like it confused some. 

19 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Whoops, I guess I read the premise wrong. Thanks for the clarification!

Seattle is an option (no NHL, NBA - you could update the Sonics)

Cleveland (has no NHL)

Charlotte (has no NHL, MLB)

Toronto (has no NFL)

Vancouver (has no NFL, MLB, NBA)

Montreal (has no NFL, MLB, NBA)

Baltimore (has no NHL, NBA)

Memphis (has no NFL, NBA, NHL)

Oakland (has no NHL)

Pittsburgh (has no NBA)

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

10 minutes ago, BenD said:

So the cities have to have at least one big 4 team, correct?

Correct.  I think that's what makes the concept interesting is seeing how new franchises would fit with the existing ones in the city.  I always think of Pittsburgh with how the Steelers, Pirates and Penguins have similar color schemes or like how Seattle has nautical themed names, Seahwaks and Mariners.  I like the thought that goes behind creating an identity.  

Just now, SkyCal said:

Correct.  I think that's what makes the concept interesting is seeing how new franchises would fit with the existing ones in the city.  I always think of Pittsburgh with how the Steelers, Pirates and Penguins have similar color schemes or like how Seattle has nautical themed names, Seahwaks and Mariners.  I like the thought that goes behind creating an identity.  

Ok that's what I thought. I think this will definitely be a cool thread to follow.

Archived