Phoenix Suns jersey history

1) Boring

2) AWESOME

3) Awful

4) Worse

Funny how differently some people see things:

1) Solid, if not too exciting

2) Overrated 1990s garbage

3) Underrated uniforms with nice color balance and survives the gratuitous addition of gray

4) I am with you here.  Worst in team's history and absolute crap.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The current set can't hold a candle to the '90s set, and despite a bit too much gray, the 2000s uniforms aren't bad.

My biggest beef with the current uniforms is that they are way too dark over all. The overemphasis on black (to the point of removing purple from the team's logo) is just the beginning. The Suns used to have vibrant shades of purple, but the new shade is, as I mentioned, too dark. It seems as if they begrudgingly said the the fans, "Ok, fine, we'll bring purple back, but it's going to be the blackest purple possible."

As for the rankings, I agree with both Buffalo and OnWise97 on different points:

1. Classic, but dull (and I hope we don't see any fauxbacks)

2. Solid 90s coolness (not that all teams 90s unis were cool -- most were really bad)

3. Yep. Underrated, and too much gray, but somehow manages to be a decent set

4. Ugly, ugly, ugly. Wouldn't buy any current merchandise.

On a side note, the PHX alt logo has always been a good idea, but I do wish they'd drop the "PHX" and replace it with "SUNS".

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

I always considered their inaugural colors (purple and orange) as a reflection to the sunset in the desert, with purple being the sky and orange being the sun. It's a damn shame they won't commit to it anymore because this is beautiful...

PX-33-D2.jpg

The 2000s jerseys weren't bad...but the random BYU-esque oval around the number was odd, and the fonts were odd.  I also didn't like the change in the wordmark that took away from the unique upside-down/right-side up "suns" tradition.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 11:35 AM, Buffalo said:

1) Boring

2) AWESOME

3) Awful

4) Worse

1) Nice color scheme, sweet faux-Western font, boring uniform design

2) Sweet "modern" font, awesome logo, best BFBS jersey (if you can even call it that) in NBA history

3) Major downgrade from (2). Stupid "PHX" jersey and associated stamp-tramp alternate logo. Not enough purple. Addition of grey not awful but hardly needed.

4) Confusing. The home jersey features no sun and no purple. The primary road jersey IS purple. Visual identity really needs more cohesion, and a logo that looks like the name.

I do think the set they have now is better than the last one, but it did take awhile to grow on me.  I think they tried too hard, and now ended up with a set with elements that don't flow together well.  The butt stripe just doesn't belong at all, and the designs on the sides of the shorts aren't really part of anything in their identity.  I get what they were trying to do with tying eras together, but the execution was horrible.  There's no excuse for the lack of purple at home either.

On 7/22/2016 at 11:35 AM, Buffalo said:

1) Boring

2) AWESOME

3) Awful

4) Worse

1. Meh

2. Beautiful

3. Meh, too much gray and dumb circle ruined this.

4. I kinda liked em at first but not so much anymore.

Personally, I prefer the original unis then the second set. The font looks better. 

image.png 

"Okay, Mr. OKC, you obviously have never been to Louisville."

As for the current uniforms, the less said, the better.  Severely lacking in purple, with the pointless butt stripe, the only god thing I can say is that they're better than the Diamondbacks new uniforms -

1147_phoenix_suns-home-2014.gif

2 minutes ago, Uglybus said:

^ Those are my favorites. 

Mine too.  They should not be with the gray, the PHX and the oval. But the gray works for me and while the PHX sucks, at least it's not on the primaries.  The oval is stupid, but it's not enough to ruin it for me.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• 2 weeks later...

My two favorites are the 70s/80s version with the western font, and the 90s Barkley era. The purple of the early uniforms seemed a little off, not deep enough of a purple that they went to with the 90s uniform. The Nash era ones aren't bad, but I didn't like the gray. The new ones missed the mark, trying to recapture the Barkley era uniforms. I don't like the black trim. The new Clippers uniforms did this with the introduction of black lettering. And the Suns white uniforms have no purple at all. For new uniforms I would take the 90s uniform and just do a slight tweak to it. 

Archived