ldconcepts' NHL Identity Swap Series (STL/CHI Added)

ldconcepts

Inspired by @Bpoe96's series, I'm back at it again, with a new series: NHL Identity Swap. In this set of concepts, I'll be taking the logo and jersey style of one team and implementing it on others. I'm really not much of a logo designer, so this series should be a fun challenge for me.

First off: the EDMONTON OILERS with the style of the NEW JERSEY DEVILS.

Edmonton+Oilers-New+Jersey+Devils+Identi

The Devils' home jersey has basic striping, where a thick stripe in their secondary colour of black is outlined by two stripes of white. It's repeated on the away sweater, only the white and black are swapped, creating an unbalance between the two sweaters, which I've implicated with the Edmonton colour scheme. It's not a far shot from Edmonton's current set.

New Jersey's logo consists of a red devil's tail with the initials NJ sticking out, balanced out by a black circle. For Edmonton, I trimmed an E into the shape of the Oilers' biggest symbol, an oil drop, and put it on a blue circle.

C&C Appreciated!

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a clever idea. Will you be doing the Devil's in Edmonton's style (full swap) or will they get more of a soft swap (Dallas, or whomever).

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

2 hours ago, New York's Greatest said:

Very Cool looking! Will we see the opposite of this (aka the Devils in the Oilers style)?

Thanks! I'll be working that tomorrow, I already have two other teams done.

2 hours ago, BenD said:

Looks good, but I was wondering why you didn't use the template you normally use?

I wanted to try out a more realistic template, which I'll use for the remainder of the series. I personally think it looks better, but I'll be more than willing to switch back after it.

Nyzv9xS.png

Thanks everyone! I'm really not much of a logo designer, so I'm pleasantly surprised at all this great feedback!

The Oilers logo originally started out with the capital E from their logo. I was reluctant to put a a standalone lowercase letter on a professional sports logo, but it ended up looking better and fitting with the oil drop motif.

On deck- Tampa Bay in the style of New Jersey

Toronto in the style of Dallas

To be worked on in coming days- New Jersey in the style of Edmonton

New Jersey in the style of Tampa Bay

Carolina in the style of Montreal

More to come, but those are the ones that I have solid ideas for so far!

Nyzv9xS.png

Next up: the TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING with the style of the NEW JERSEY DEVILS.

Tampa+Bay+Lightning-New+Jersey+Devils+Id

The Devils' home jersey has basic striping, where a thick stripe in their secondary colour of black is outlined by two stripes of white. It's repeated on the away sweater, only the white and black are swapped, creating an unbalance between the two sweaters, which I've implicated with the Tampa Bay colour scheme. I've also borrowed the square yoke and outlined it for better contrast. It would be too bland for my taste for Tampa, but what could be more bland than their current set? Without the existence of the Devils, I'd prefer this home jersey to their current.

New Jersey's logo consists of a red devil's tail deformed by the initials NJ sticking out, balanced out by a black circle. For the Lightning, I converted the lightning bolt on their current crest to a T, and put it over a black circle.

C&C Appreciated!

Nyzv9xS.png

Would love some C&C on this, I'll add another one, hoping to spark some comments.

Next up: the CAROLINA HURRICANES with the style of the MONTREAL CANADIENS.

Carolina+Hurricanes-Montreal+Canadiens+I

Montreal's home jersey is one of the most classic in all of sport. It consists of a thick blue chest stripe outlined with thinner white striping, and two thin stripes on the hem, white and blue. I recoloured all the blue into black, and added modern-classic warning flag striping that is unique and iconic to Carolina. For the away, I strayed from the script, and simply made a white version, sort of like the Habs' Winter Classic jersey. I added a red yoke, a signature element of the Canadiens' current away. Honestly, anything is better than Carolina's current blandness.

The Canadiens' logo is a classic mark whose concept has been relatively unchanged since its inception in 1917. It's a simple C whose uniqueness depends on the H in negative space. Hockey Canadien or Canadiens Hockey happen to have the same initials of Carolina Hurricanes, so I just made it relevant to Carolina, swapping the random blue squares for two warning flags, the symbol for a hurricane, and eliminated the half-circles for a blockier look reminiscent of the Hartford Whalers. The Hurricanes current logo is regularly bashed, but I like it (like most NHL logos in all honesty) but I would be fine with this as a secondary mark... If only the Canadiens didn't exist. 

C&C Appreciated!

Nyzv9xS.png

On 2016-07-23 at 12:04 PM, llfhockey said:

wait... i thought each team had there own opposite team

On 2016-07-23 at 12:17 PM, ldconcepts said:

Sometimes. I don't do these in any specific order, only what comes to my head at the moment.

The Oilers style Devils are done, and will be posted tomorrow. In the meantime, C&C on my recent designs is appreciated!

Nyzv9xS.png

Don't worry, my series will be released. We (me, and a friend I'm doing the series with) have been waiting until we either finish the series (at least with the logos) or we get a good way through. It takes a while to essentially completely rebrand 30 teams, and I didn't really want to leave people hanging while waiting for updates. Not to mention we've went back and changed a lot of things over the course of doing this, so it'll be a lot more of a final product by the end.

Anyways, I definitely like the directions you're going in. It's interesting to see another person's take on this. That E/Oil drop logo is great, could make a regular good logo for Edmonton too. Not to discredit the others, but that's my favorite so far.

And if you're serious about graphic design like I am (as opposed to just making concepts as a side hobby or something), use this series to improve your logo designing skills. That's half the reason I started mine, and it's definitely been helping. If you need any help or advice I'd be happy to help, just message me or something.

58f9196939e87_CCSLCsig.png.9bc4492f6b88c5f7d305eb5337acf1f0.png

As requested, next up is the NEW JERSEY DEVILS with the style of the EDMONTON OILERS.

New+Jersey+Devils-Edmonton+Oilers+Identi

The oil drop is replaced with the end of a devil's tail, and the OILERS script is replaced by DEVIL. The jersey striping isn't much different than their currents, only the stripes are even and yokes are rounded. On the away, the striping actually looks better in my humble opinion.

C&C Appreciated!

Nyzv9xS.png

Not that all jerseys need them, but a few of yours would benefit from shoulder logos (the Hurricanes home, for example). Great work, looking forward to more.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

2 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Not that all jerseys need them, but a few of yours would benefit from shoulder logos (the Hurricanes home, for example). Great work, looking forward to more.

Only for those that are in the style of teams with shoulder patches.

Nyzv9xS.png

Archived