City Color Identities Concept

User9113

Hi all,

This is my first post, I had an idea awhile ago that it'd be cool if all the professional teams from a certain city/state had the same color scheme. I thought this could be cool because people who aren't into all sports would be able to differentiate where each team was from quickly without having to know that off the top of their head, also I think it gives the city a unifying identity. For each city/state, I'll show the set of logos from the big 4 professional sports with their new color schemes, each city has three I'll do my best to give you guys an idea of what such a uniform would look like) and then for the sake of unifying the state identity, I'll show a possible non-sport example of what the state/city could do to show off its colors.

Overall Map

Links:

Colorado (Update on Broncos Uniform)

Minnesota (Update) (Bonus T-Wolves Uni)

Miami (Update)

Washington DC

Seattle

Boston

Chicago

Philadelphia

Arizona

Pittsburgh

Dallas

Wisconsin

Houston

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've had this thought appear every so often on the forums... one thread even went as far as to combine the various teams' logos on a single graphic (Firefly was the user's name).  I like it.  Some cities align their colors intentionally (Pittsburgh), while some make it nearly impossible (Boston).  Should be fun.

I like this idea, but what do you do with cities/regions with multiple teams in the same sport? NYC is the ultimate example, but also LA with the Lakers and Clippers come to mind. LA makes sense to go to Royal Blue since this is the Dodgers primary color, the Rams historical color I'm sure they will go back to when they move into their new stadium, and the Clippers colors. But it is also the original Lakers color, before switching to Forum Blue which is now called purple. But do you include the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim? 

And is the SF Bay Area one region, with the Raiders, 49ers, Warriors, Giants, A's, and Sharks? If you break out Oakland from SF, then where does Golden State count since they now play in Oakland but are building a new arena in SF? And can you really count the 49ers as SF when they play in Santa Clara, which is closer to San Jose? And where does that leave the San Jose Sharks? 

Phoenix/Arizona, will be interesting. The original pro team Suns colors of purple were first used by the Diamondbacks and has a rich history there, but now 3 of the 4 Pro teams wear a variation of red. The Cardinals "cardinal" red, the Sedona Red of the D Backs and brick red of the Coyotes are all of the darker shade of red without going as dark as maroon or burgundy. I'd hate to see a combination of red and purple, since I think this looks awful. The Toronto Raptors comes to mind, where they have dropped  the purple. Sorry Suns, but I'd say just use the cardinal red for all teams. 

16 minutes ago, RickAZ said:

I like this idea, but what do you do with cities/regions with multiple teams in the same sport? NYC is the ultimate example, but also LA with the Lakers and Clippers come to mind. LA makes sense to go to Royal Blue since this is the Dodgers primary color, the Rams historical color I'm sure they will go back to when they move into their new stadium, and the Clippers colors. But it is also the original Lakers color, before switching to Forum Blue which is now called purple. But do you include the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim? 

And is the SF Bay Area one region, with the Raiders, 49ers, Warriors, Giants, A's, and Sharks? If you break out Oakland from SF, then where does Golden State count since they now play in Oakland but are building a new arena in SF? And can you really count the 49ers as SF when they play in Santa Clara, which is closer to San Jose? And where does that leave the San Jose Sharks? 

Phoenix/Arizona, will be interesting. The original pro team Suns colors of purple were first used by the Diamondbacks and has a rich history there, but now 3 of the 4 Pro teams wear a variation of red. The Cardinals "cardinal" red, the Sedona Red of the D Backs and brick red of the Coyotes are all of the darker shade of red without going as dark as maroon or burgundy. I'd hate to see a combination of red and purple, since I think this looks awful. The Toronto Raptors comes to mind, where they have dropped  the purple. Sorry Suns, but I'd say just use the cardinal red for all teams. 

Okay, I haven't decided what to do with New York and LA but I'm leaning towards keeping the teams in line with what their name is i.e. NY Knicks are NY but Brooklyn is Brooklyn or I may just  split NY into boroughs. I'm saying Golden State counts as Oakland right now since they play there, but I'll probably include an SF version for when they move. The 49ers are San Francisco. Haha I'm not going to tell you exactly what color Arizona will be but I'll tell you they won't be purple unlike this next region.

Minnesota:

D07O8J0.png

pxvx6FM.png

shk37b7.png

On this identity, the accent color (Silver) should be used as little as possible, its pretty much there to make sure the logos look good. So while officially the color scheme would be Purple/Black/Silver, unofficially the color scheme is just purple/black.

18 minutes ago, kjella47 said:

Love the Minnesota purple, my only nitpick is the vikings having yellow and none of the rest. Perhaps rather than silver you could use the yellow

Oh okay, actually the Vikings wouldn't have any yellow, it'd just be the color of the hair in the logo and not relevant to their actual colors. I guess I could change the color to a more sandy blonde to make that more obvious.

55 minutes ago, RickAZ said:

I forgot to ask, why "Purple Mountain Magesty" when there is no purple in the colors you chose? 

I had "Maroon Mountain Magesty but that didn't really flow as well, and maroon is kinda purple."

While it works, I would think that Orange Crush would probably be better accepted, as it's been around far longer.

The problem with series like this, because they're fantastic and the ideas involved are usually amazing...is what do you do with Boston?

The Patriots in anything but red,white, and blue?

The Bruins in anything but black and gold?

Worse, the Celtics in anything but green?

I wish you luck, if you can overcome that hurdle, you'll have a helluva series here.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

23 minutes ago, BenD said:

Are you planning on only doing the uniforms for one team from each city?

Maybe initially, if there's interest I may do more, but I just wanted to provide an example of how the color schemes would look

Thanks!

UPDATE:

I've switched the colors on the Bronco's Uniform because I think that since Maroon was the city's primary, it should be the main color. I also think this way looks better. Thoughts?

C3ZbsHf.png

Yeah, I agree with the above two, while aqua is more unique to Miami, the Heat and Panthers make much more sense with orange first, at least with their logos. Orange logos pop more on aqua jerseys, so you can still be aqua-first without the logos looking really really strange.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived