225 posts in this topic

Expansion

The North Coast Baseball League had been a strong league during the 1880's and 1890's, with the New York Militia as the crowning jewel within that league. Since they had joined the NCBL in 1882 they had won 11 league championships including the last four championships from 1899-1902. However the NCBL was now playing second string to the UNBL with players jumping to the new league. When the UNBL's National League extended an invitation to the New York Militia on Christmas Day, New York readily accepted and made the announcement on New Year's that they would be joining the National League and the UNBL for the 1903 season.

Uniform NY 1903.png

1902-1903 Off-season

Crucial Player Movement

Nov 11th 1902

Milwaukee signs free agent Chris Whitted (P) for 4 years at $20,100 making him the 5th highest paid player in the UNBA. Experts believe that Milwaukee overpaid for the 34 year old Chris Whitted as his career has been mediocre to good, posting a career 4.10 ERA and a record of 62-58.

Nov 20th 1902

The biggest story of the off-season was Darryl Manna's (2B) refusal to sign with the Boston Beetles. Darryl Manna was coming off of a season in which he won the UNBA championship and was named MVP of National League. Darryl felt he was underpaid and after an angry conflict with the owner of the Boston Beetles entered free agency on November 18th 1902. After negotiating with several teams Darryl Manna signed with the Baltimore Runners for 5 years at $26,700 making him the second highest paid player in the league.

Jan 10th 1903

St. Louis trades Steve Dyment (3B) and one other player for 5 Baltimore players.

Jan 30th 1903

Baltimore trades Steve Dyment (3B) and one other player for Andrew Abernethie (2B) and another Boston Beetle's player.

The off-season was highlighted by Darryl Manna (2B) and his deal with the Baltimore Runners. Baltimore with this signing becomes an early favorite for the National League Title. The Boston Beetles having lost a valuable infielder worked out a trade for Steve Dyment (3B), a talented 24 year old who may be the best third basemen in baseball. Philadelphia is also a strong favorite for the National League title as they retain their core players including Gary Aiken (P) and Jeff Burrell (CF) who helped lead them to a close second place finish last season. Similarly to Philadelphia, Ohio maintained their core players including last years UL MVP Frank Wahren (1B) and looked to make another run at the United League title. 

Statistics 1902-1903 Offseason

(If there is a list you would like, just ask)

Highest Paid Players 1903

1. $27,900 Adrian McCarthy (RF) Pittsburgh Panthers
  2. $26,700 Darryl Manna (2B) Baltimore Runners
  3. $24,300 Alex Bailey (3B) Brooklyn Beermen
  4. $21,400 Brandon Hendricks (LF) Illinois Packers
  5. $20,100 Chris Whitted (P) Milwaukee Kings

Career Home Runs Leaders

1. 100-Dave Rehm (RF) Retired
  2. 84-Brad Holtston (RF) Milwaukee Kings
  3. 82-Luke Rigney (SS) Boston Beetles
  4. 69-Brian Root (2B) Manhattan Thunder
  5. 64-Jeff Burrell (CF) Philadelphia Boomers

Career Win Leaders

1. 187-Dan Rinfret (P) Chicago Crusaders
  2. 185-Dan Scheirer (P) Pittsburgh Panthers
  3. 122-Gary Aiken (P) Philadelphia Boomers
  4. 117-John Bisdee (P) Milwakee Kings
  5. 116-Vern Whiteside (P) Pittsburgh Panthers

New york now has 3 teams. It will be interesting to see how many survive or if they will be forced to relocate like the real life Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants.

1 person likes this

1903 UNBA Regular Season

The New York Militia during their first year in the UNBA revealed the talent difference between the UNBA and the NCBL. The UNBA could now confidently claim that their association consisted of the best baseball teams and players in the world. In this 1903 season the top team's talent parity once again defined both races for League Titles. With the best defenses leading their respective teams to first place finishes. The Philadelphia Boomers would be in a close race with 4 teams throughout the season. This included Baltimore, who had the most potent offense in the game led by Darryl Manna (2B) (.365 AVG) (13 HRs) (122 RBIs). The Runner's lineup would lead the UNBA in batting AVG, SLG, HRs, and Runs Scored. However in their head to head games with Philadelphia they would be limited by the pitching efforts of the legend Gary Aiken, with Dusty Ironside and Jim Chattan polishing off the rotation. The Boston Brotherhood improved greatly on their first two seasons, with one of the youngest lineups in the UNBA they will be a strong contender as long as they can keep talented players like 19 year old Brian Hockenberry (SS) (.343 AVG) (53 RBIs) and 21 year old Phil Scrimshawe (2B) (.391 AVG) (42 RBIs) with their team. 

In the United League the majority of teams struggled to find momentum until after the half way point of the season. Six of the teams were in contention for the League title until the St Louis steamers and the Chicago Crusaders found their groove. Ohio was able to maintain their consistent offense leading the United League in Runs Scored per Game; but the defense side of the ball, that helped lead the Royals to the title last season, fizzled and became the team's greatest weakness, rather than strength. St. Louis' pitching rotation was dominate led by Derrick Dotson (2.51 ERA) (21-8) and Tim Alister (3.02 ERA) (23-9). St Louis would claim their second United League title and return to the World Baseball Championship Series.

1903 UNBA Season.png

1 person likes this

So, good work thus far (especially for someone new to photoshop/paint), but I have a few critiques.

1. So, expansion. That is interesting in theory, but I doubt there will be any more expansion till the 50's at least (maybe it would make sense to have two teams fold/contract in the Depression, or even in the next couple of years).
  2. The league alignment is a little crazy. All three teams from NY, both from Boston in the same league and all that.
  3. As for the Uniforms, they look good, but you should work to clean them up/include more detail on them.  I feel like the template you're using is restricting that a little. On a similar note- teams had logos and such on their uniforms in that era.
  4. Is there a way you could show the caps these players are wearing?

I know this seems like a lot, but I promise you I'm not trying to pile on. You're new to this, and I've seen how people improve with just a little time on these threads, so I hoped to give some specific comments so you can improve in those areas.  Best of luck! :)

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

So, good work thus far (especially for someone new to photoshop/paint), but I have a few critiques.

1. So, expansion. That is interesting in theory, but I doubt there will be any more expansion till the 50's at least (maybe it would make sense to have two teams fold/contract in the Depression, or even in the next couple of years).
  2. The league alignment is a little crazy. All three teams from NY, both from Boston in the same league and all that.
  3. As for the Uniforms, they look good, but you should work to clean them up/include more detail on them.  I feel like the template you're using is restricting that a little. On a similar note- teams had logos and such on their uniforms in that era.
  4. Is there a way you could show the caps these players are wearing?

I know this seems like a lot, but I promise you I'm not trying to pile on. You're new to this, and I've seen how people improve with just a little time on these threads, so I hoped to give some specific comments so you can improve in those areas.  Best of luck! :)

This has been a two year project and as a result my league has already been simulated through the 40's. 

1. Many early leagues expanded until about the 1930's in other sports. (I am not just going to copy MLB history) The Depression does have an impact on the league including team location and viability. One reason I started posting on this site is because of expansion and relocation that the Post World War II airliners allow (I plan on having expansion committees like several other threads). 

2. Yeah, early sports league's alignments could be a little crazy. 1945-1955 relocation should help take care of that issue.

3. They are pretty rough. :unsure: The logos are completely on me. I can't get the logos to go on the hat or jerseys without distorting everything (Photoshop inexperience?) In the top left is the logo that is on their ball-caps. (Hopefully I can figure this one out).

4. You mean like just the ball-caps with logo. (That might be easier to get the logos on).

Thanks for the Comments, here is some of the my future plans:

Definitely going to try and get the logos on the ballcaps.

Expansion is going to continue with teams in 1905, 1906, and 1913. Those will be the last expansions however until after 1945.

Continue to put out more posts, I got 38 more seasons ready to roll out.

1 person likes this

35 minutes ago, D42 said:

3. They are pretty rough. :unsure: The logos are completely on me. I can't get the logos to go on the hat or jerseys without distorting everything (Photoshop inexperience?) In the top left is the logo that is on their ball-caps. (Hopefully I can figure this one out).

I think you might be using the wrong template. The Dressed to the Nines stuff is pretty rigid and hard to work with- I'd look for something else.

35 minutes ago, D42 said:

2. Yeah, early sports league's alignments could be a little crazy. 1945-1955 relocation should help take care of that issue.

I see, so it'll be as much like the early NFL as anything else. That makes more sense.

1 person likes this

very cool, I enjoy viewing this. What do you use to simulate the seasons to get the yearly results?

1 person likes this

1904 Uniform Preview

New template for uniforms next year.

Uniform SL 1904.png

First Template I have made completely from scratch on Photoshop. :)

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Its_Ryne said:

very cool, I enjoy viewing this. What do you use to simulate the seasons to get the yearly results?

I use d20 dice to get the overview for the year and then input that into baseball mogul 2014.

5 hours ago, D42 said:

1904 Uniform Preview

New template for uniforms next year.

Uniform SL 1904.png

This looks about ten trillion times better.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Bulldog said:

This looks about ten trillion times better.

Yeah, just finished every team with new template. Will post next off-season. Been working all day on this new template, pleased with how they have turned out.

2 people like this

1903 World Baseball Championship Series

The 1903 series would see dominate pitching performances from 3 pitchers: St Louis' Derrick Dotson (1.73 Series ERA) & Tim Alister (2.67 Series ERA), and Philadelphia's Gary Aiken (1.59 Series ERA), all delivered great pitching performances throughout the series. In the end, however, the Most Valuable Player for the series was awarded to a 1st Baseman, 36 year old Keith Colley who played some of the best ball of his career. He posted a .406 AVG with 4 stolen bases and 7 RBIs for St. Louis. 

This series would start out with a strong showing from Philadelphia's Lineup. In game two St Louis would win on a game ending single, driving in the winning run at the bottom of the 10th. Game three in Philadelphia paired Gary Aiken and Derrick Dotson against each other in a great pitching dual that ended on an error, which scored the final run in the 10th inning. Game four was dominated by Tim Alister, who helped to pull St Louis even once again with the Philadelphia Boomers. During game six the bats of Philadelphia drove in 10 runs, assisted by the St Louis defense's 4 errors. Game six would return to St Louis and see a rematch between Gary Aiken and Derrick Dotson, this time it was the peerless pitching of Dotson who shutout Philadelphia's lineup. Gary Aiken also pitched a great game letting up his lone earned run in the bottom of the seventh, however it could not overcome the shutout pitched by Derrick Dotson. Game seven was a thriller. Tim Alister battled Jeff Gillespie in a close contest. The game entered the seventh inning tied at 3 apiece, it remained tied throughout the seventh, eighth, and top of the ninth. In the bottom of the ninth, with one out, Keith Colley would come to the plate with bases loaded. He would single down the right field line, driving in the series ending run and propelling himself and his team to their second UNBA championship in three years.

1903 World Baseball Championship Series.jpg

1903 Awards

Derrick Dotson would claim the first MVP award given to a pitcher. The United League stated that Derrick Dotson was more to the St Louis Steamers than just a pitcher. He was their motivator, leader, and most valued player. 

Tim Alister surprisingly claimed the Most Valuable Pitching Award as many thought the award would go to Derrick Dotson. However, the United League stated that Tim Alister was an exemplary pitcher who dominated batters from the mound, and his league leading winning percentage deserved recognition.

Ben Randall pitched dominate performances all year and was rewarded by receiving the 1903 National League Pitcher of the Year Award.

Darryl Manna was apart of the most controversial off-season move in baseball's young history. However, this did not detract from his play as he dominated the league at the plate and was awarded his second consecutive Player of the Year Award.

United League

United League Most Valuable Pitcher: Tim Alister (P) 23-8, 3.02 ERA, 82 Ks, St Louis Steamers

United League Most Valuable Player: Derrick Dotson (P) 21-8, 2.51 ERA, 202 Ks, St Louis Steamers

National League

National League Pitcher of the Year: Ben Randall (P) 24-11, 2.84 ERA, 93 Ks, Pennsylvania Scarlets

National League Player of the Year: Darryl Manna (2B) .365 AVG, 13HRs, 122 RBIs, 285 DPO, Baltimore Runners

1903-1904 Off-season

Crucial Player Movement

Dec 12th 1903

Boston Brotherhood trade a nationally regarded rookie signing, 24 year old Jeff Bland (P), for 28 year old Frank Wahren (1B) a previous Most Valuable Player recipient, along with a 3rd Baseman, from Ohio. This trade is seen by some as a desperate move by Ohio to trade the talented Frank Wahren for a much needed pitcher who could not only strengthen their rotation, but dominate from the mound in a few short years. The Brotherhood looked to sign a player who could immediately fill a need at 1st base while bringing much needed leadership and experience into the clubhouse. The team was also able to obtain a 3rd baseman who may compete for a starting spot as well.

Apr 29th 1904

Boston Brotherhood trade a starting Right Fielder, two Pitchers, a Third Baseman, and a Catcher, to St Louis for the Most Valuable Player of the Year recipient Derrick Dotson (P) along with an additional pitcher. St Louis looks to add depth and talent across the board while trading a dynamic young player. Both pitchers are replaced by two Boston Pitchers, while gaining three players that will add depth to the Steamers lineup. The Steamers are the only team with the depth of rotation to be able to trade an award winning pitcher while still retaining another in ace pitcher Tim Alister (P). The Brotherhood trade four role players along with their starting fielder to get a game changing pitcher. This is the team's second trade for proven talent during the current off-season, and it looks like the Brotherhood are trying to have a big off-season in order to ensure a National League title this season.

March 16th 1904 (Opening Day)

Chicago trades for Ben Randall (P) from Pennsylvania, sending a starting Second Baseman, a Catcher, Pitcher, First Baseman, and Left Fielder to the Scarlets. This is a sign of a team desperate for a talented pitcher and are willing to trade five players that will add depth to the Scarlets in order to make that sure they obtain a big name pitcher.

June 3rd 1904

Early into the 1904 season Todd Graham retires at the age of 41. He played the majority of his career for the Pennsylvania Scarlets and the Milwaukee Kings. He retires with the most career steals by any UNBA player with 723 stolen bases. He holds the highest successful steal percentage (84.4%) of any veteran player, while also placing 5th all time in career doubles (253) and runs scored with (1295).

The Boston Brotherhood were active in the off-season with two important trades. They traded their best young signing before he had ever played a professional game to Ohio, and then also traded multiple role players to St Louis. In the end, however, an already talented team gained two United League Most Valuable Player Award winners, an ace pitcher in Derrick Dotson, and an elite first baseman in Frank Wahren. The rest of the league was content to maintain their core players. There were the usual exchanges of role players and young signings throughout the off-season, each team hoping to find a hidden talent to propel their team to new heights. On opening day that changed, the owner of the Chicago Crusaders wanted a star pitcher that could compete with St Louis' ace Tim Alister. This led to a trade with Pennsylvania and Ben Randall found himself as the ace pitcher on a talented Chicago Crusader team.

@D42 Can I have a Steamers sig?