225 posts in this topic

1904-1905 Off-season

Crucial Player Movement

Oct 15th 1904

Darryl Parton (CF) retires at 41 years of age with the most career walks (900) of any UNBA player. Second most in career plate appearances (8302), steals (573), and games played (1817). Parton ranks 3rd all time in career outfield assists (282), hit by pitch (125), and runs scored (1371). Darryl Parton was one of the most well rounded players to ever set foot on the diamond.

St Louis resigns the 25 year old phenom Drew Krull (P) to a 6 year contract at $21,420 for a total contract of $128,520. This makes Krull the 5th highest paid player in the UNBA, this is viewed as a good deal for St Louis as Krull could have demanded the largest contract in the league.

Oct 24th 1904

The New York Militia signs 26 year old free agent Sean Reynolds (P) for $18,400 for 4 years. Reynolds posted a 2.86 ERA while going 71-29 during his previous 4 years at Baltimore. This is a talented young pitcher that will give the New York rotation it's badly needed ace.

Pennsylvania resigns 26 year old Frank Vittinghoff (CF) for 4 years at $15,800. Vittinghoff has batted .346 with 221 stolen bases during his previous 7 years. A talented fielder who provides speed on the bases and leads the Scarlets dugout. Pennsylvania makes Vittinghoff the highest paid player on their roster.

Oct 27th 1904

Pennsylvania signs 25 year old Mark Westlund (CF) for 4 years at $16,800. Westlund refused to resign with Baltimore where he had a .315 AVG and 31 HRs during his 6 year career playing for the Runners.

Nov 7th 1904

Indianapolis signs the 33 year old legend Gary Aiken (P) for 3 years at $19,000. Gary Aiken was rumored to be in talks with the Stripes since midway through his 1904 campaign with the Philadelphia Boomers. Aiken will bring much needed experience to the new Indianapolis Stripes' rotation. He will still provid solid pitching when called upon, however, he may not be their ace pitcher as Indianapolis has signed several talented young rookie pitchers.

Illinois signs the 30 year old UNBA career home run leader (103) Brad Holtston (RF) who last season just broke Dave Rehm's career HR record (100). Holtston refused to sign with Milwaukee where he had posted great numbers, but whose teams had struggled. The contract was signed for 4 years at $11,000.

Nov 15th 1904

The Boston Brotherhood trade 31 year old Luke Nuttal along with a starting pitcher and a third baseman to the Cleveland Grizzlies for a starting pitcher, 1B, RF, and 26 year old Justin Albertson (CF). Boston makes a gamble trading the Pitcher of the Year Luke Nuttal for a younger CF who will make a immediate impact in the field.

Dec 5th 1904

The Indianapolis Stripes trade 21 year old rookie prospect Zach Neale (P) to Manhattan for a starting Catcher, starting Third Baseman, 2 Pitchers, a Shortstop, a Left Fielder, a Right Fielder, and a Second Baseman. Manhattan most likely overreached as they receive a young clearly talented pitcher, who has, however, never thrown a pitch at the professional level. The Stripes' young team receives 2 starters and much needed depth as they prepare for their first season in the UNBA.

Dec 8th, 1904

The Boston Beetles trade 25 year old Steve Dyment (3B) to Cleveland for 4 pitcher and a catcher. Cleveland receives one of the best Third Baseman in the league while the Beetles get depth for their bullpen.

Dec 20th, 1904

Buffalo returns, after one year with the Tribe, 29 year old Josh Zimmerman (CF) to the Ohio Royals for 26 year old Jace David (2B) and a pitcher. Zimmerman was a crucial piece to the Royal's United League Title in 1902. Zimmerman will help strengthen the Royals' lineup while also returning a key leader to the dugout. Buffalo receives a young Second Baseman and a pitcher, they get the sore end of this deal, however, this deal was demanded by Zimmerman and Buffalo had little room to negotiate.

Mar 4th 1905

The Cleveland Grizzlies trade Luke Nuttal (P), a starting Catcher, a starting Second Baseman, a Right Fielder, a Pitcher, and a Center-fielder to Washington D.C. for 22 year old James Helmuth (1B) and a pitcher. Cleveland needed a First Baseman which they obtained, however, they paid dearly as the Executives received three starters along with 3 more players that will compete for starting roles. Washington hopes this is the trade that will help turn their previous poor fortunes around.

Mar 6th 1905

Pittsburgh trades 20 year old rookie prospect Davis Gardner (P) to Manhattan for 3 Pitchers, a Shortstop, a Catcher, and a Left Fielder. Pittsburgh gains needed players as their roster was rather thin heading into the season, while Manhattan gains a potential ace in Gardner.

1905 UNBA Season

New York would play the 1905 season in their world class, newly constructed Queens' Ballpark. The New York Militia led the UNBA in attendance for the third straight year. However, they were unable to improve their play as the team would once again finish last within the National League. The cross town Manhattan Thunder had a few stellar league defining players carrying their team. The Thunder's lineup was led by 25 year old Mark Brown (2B) with a .340 AVG, 83 RBIs, and 27 Stolen Bases, while their rotation's ace was Peter Martin (P) who recorded a 29-12 record with a 2.07 ERA and 151 Strikeouts over the course of the season. The Boston Beetles and the Baltimore Runners chased the defending champion Boston Brotherhood throughout the season. The Beetles boasted a powerful lineup anchored by 24 year old John Koons (1B) (.401 AVG, 97 RBIs). While the Runners presented a well rounded team led by the league's highest paid player Darryl Manna (2B) (.315 AVG, 85 RBIs). In the end it was the Boston Brotherhood who would claim the league title. Their pitching rotation was headlined by Todd Christopher (P) (2.65 ERA) and Derrick Dotson (P) (2.74 ERA). Phil Scrimshawe (2B) (.378 AVG) led the league with 111 RBIs. The Brotherhood posted UNBA leading numbers that helped them return to their second consecutive National League title.

The United League had much parity throughout the league during the 1905 season. The St Louis Steamers were favored to win the league, but were unable to capitalize on the fantastic play from Drew Krull (P) (28-8, 2.28 ERA, 169 Ks). The St Louis Steamers were in a definite down year. Therefore the Steamers focused the second half of the season on playing their young developmental players. The Illinois Packers competed for the league title leading the league at several points throughout the year. Brad Holtston (RF) (.308 AVG 104 RBIs) captivated the Illinois fans with his league leading 23 Home Runs. Meanwhile, the Ohio Royals returned to great defensive play as shown during their previous 1902 United League title season. By capitalizing on their defense and a league leading fielding percentage, the Royals were able to take an average lineup and rotation, and claim their team's second United League title.

1905 UNBA Regular Season.png

Yay! Pittsburgh wasn't last.

35 minutes ago, ~Bear said:

Yay! Pittsburgh wasn't last.

You're welcome!

-Milwaukee

1 person likes this

Two days ago I had to fly out to my college for my Junior Fall Football Camp. Its super busy being a college athlete during camp so I will post when I am able, very little. After camp, in two and a half weeks, my posts should return to every other day or so.

1 person likes this

1905 World Baseball Championship Series

The 1905 World Baseball Championship Series would match the championship defending Boston Brotherhood versus the Ohio Royals. The Brotherhood were slightly favored heading into the first game. The opening game of the series highlighted the lineups of both the Royals and the Brotherhood. The Royals scored 8 runs in the opening 2 innings and coasted to a 12-9 victory as the runs continued for both teams throughout the game. Derrick Dotson (P) would post a decent performance in game 2 allowing 4 Earned Runs and helping his team to tie the series, before they headed home to Boston. Game 3 and 4 were both decided by scores of 7-6 in Boston's favor. In game 3 the Royals had to play catch-up to the early 4 run lead established by the Brotherhood, falling short in the final inning. During the 8th inning of Game 4 the Brotherhood scored 3 runs to take their first lead of the game, and then shut down the Royals in the 9th to take a 3-1 series lead heading into game 5. Mike Olney (P), the third pitcher in Boston's rotation, allowed only one earned run over the course of 9 innings in game 5. The Boston Brotherhood would secure their 2nd consecutive championship in the bottom of the 10th as Eric Calnan (LF) singled, driving in Brian Hockenberry (SS) for the victory. The series MVP was awarded to 24 year old Eric Herschler (C), who posted an .800 AVG with 4 RBIs and 6 Runs Scored over the course of the series.

1905 World Baseball Championship Series.jpg1905 World Baseball Championship Series.jpg

1905 UNBA Regular Season.png

I already know how this is going to work out

This series is looking really good so far. Really well done. The only thing is, you forgot to change the year in your graphic; it still says 1904 champions. Just felt like I should point that out.

16 hours ago, ItDoesntMatter said:

The only thing is, you forgot to change the year in your graphic; it still says 1904 champions.

Thanks

1905 UNBA Awards

The 1905 UNBA Awards recognized several talented young pitchers. Two of which had breakout seasons in their young careers. Pitchers dominate the newspaper sports interviews as polarizing young stars impact the future of baseball and the UNBA.

Peter Martin had a breakout season for the Manhattan Royals during his 4th year in the UNBA. He posted the second lowest single season ERA (2.07) in UNBA history. The 22 year old's pitching helped carry a lackluster rotation. His efforts did not go unrecognized as the National League awarded Peter Martin with the Pitcher of the Year and Player of the Year awards.

Drew Krull is considered by many as the best player in the UNBA. The 26 year old's play in 1905 continued to support that claim. He led the league in strikeouts and posted a United League leading 2.28 ERA. Though St Louis was rebuilding their team, Drew Krull still provided St Louis fans with consistent pitching excellence. He was recognized with the 1905 United League Most Valuable Player award.

Austin White had his breakout season during his third professional season at 22 years of age for the Ohio Royals. He tied the UNBA single season record with 32 wins while helping to lead the Royals to their second league title. He is awarded the United League's Most Valuable Pitcher Award.

National League

National League Pitcher of the Year: Peter Martin (P) 29-12, 2.07 ERA, 151 Ks, Manhattan Thunder

National League Player of the Year: Peter Martin (P) 29-12, 2.07 ERA, 151 Ks, Manhattan Thunder

United League

United League Most Valuable PItcher: Austin White (P) 32-11, 2.83 ERA, 96 Ks, Ohio Royals

United League Most Valuable Player: Drew Krull (P) 28-8, 2.28 ERA, 169 Ks, St Louis Steamers

I feel like the Steamers and Brotherhood are going to compete for championships throughout the decades. But thats just my prediction.

9 hours ago, Cardinal said:

I feel like the Steamers and Brotherhood are going to compete for championships throughout the decades. But thats just my prediction.

I can agree with you there. It's been alternating between St. Louis and Boston (both the Beetles and the Brotherhood) and no other city has won the championship.

1 person likes this

Also, I have a request to make. Can you make a Detroit Titans signature? Thanks.

14 hours ago, PackMan said:

Also, I have a request to make. Can you make a Detroit Titans signature? Thanks.

Yeah i'll try to get to it and also post the 1905-1906 offseason, got a intersquad scrimmage Saturday so super busy.

8 minutes ago, D42 said:

Yeah i'll try to get to it and also post the 1905-1906 offseason, got a intersquad scrimmage Saturday so super busy.

Okay thanks. Also, where exactly are the Illinois Packers, the Pennsylvania Scarlets, and the Ohio Royals located? You haven't really disclosed their locations other than the name of their state.

Illinois Packers are located in Chicago IL

Pennsylvania Scarlets are in Philadelphia PA

Ohio Royals are located in Cincinnati OH

On 8/18/2016 at 10:06 PM, PackMan said:

Detroit Titans Sig.png