Debate II: What do you consider a sport?

lopernv

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bringing the list up to date...

Sports which are actual sports

Football

Baseball

Soccer

Basketball

Ice Hockey

Cycling

MMA

All Track & Field

Tennis

Badminton

Rugby

Swimming

Boxing

Olympic Wrestling

Water Polo

Skateboarding

Snowboarding

Skiing

-----------

Sports in which the human does none of the work

Horse Racing

NASCAR

Monster Trucks

Iditarod

-----------

Sports which you can drink/smoke while doing

Golf

Darts

Bowling

Billiards

Curling

Frisbee

Ping Pong

Hunting

Fishing

Roller Derby

Celebrity Softball

-----------

Sports which are sports because ESPN

World Series of Poker

Competitive Hot Dog Eating

Spelling Bee

Daily Fantasy

-----------

Not a sport

WWE

6uXNWAo.png

There's no way in hell skateboarding is a sport.

There's no objective rating system in which you have direct influence over your opponents chances for winning.  

In a "sport", you should have the ability to dictate the outcome of the contest by besting your opponent by some kind of objective measure, and be able have some influence over your opponents ability to win.  Doing tricks and then letting someone give you a score, then sitting there helplessly watching your opponent do better tricks is simply not a sport.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

There's no objective rating system in which you have direct influence over your opponents chances for winning.  

In a "sport", you should have the ability to dictate the outcome of the contest by besting your opponent by some kind of objective measure, and be able have some influence over your opponents ability to win.  Doing tricks and then letting someone give you a score, then sitting there helplessly watching your opponent do better tricks is simply not a sport.

Would that not also eliminate gymnastics, figure skating, high diving, synchronized swimming, etc?

VmWIn6B.png

3 minutes ago, LMU said:

Golf's definitely a sport but having guys like John Daly and Angel Cabrera trudge along out there does raise a few eyebrows.

Well, here's baseball's GOAT...

babe-ruth.jpg  babe.jpg?w=614

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Skateboarding, snowboarding, skiing, BMX -- I'll lump all these "action sports" together in the real sports category WHEN in a competitive setting. 

Agility, athleticism, hand-eye-coordination, endurance.. Likely requires more exertion than baseball, so there's that.

6uXNWAo.png

Just now, LMU said:

Would that not also eliminate gymnastics, figure skating, high diving, synchronized swimming, etc?

IMO yes.  Let's not confuse "athletics" with "sport".  IMO, "sport" implies competition where each competitor competes to defeat their opponent by measurable criteria, and also has influence over their opponent's score (I'm tired and can't think of the best wording for that.)

In team sports it's obvious.  In basketball, you accumulate points by making various types of shots, and you are able to limit your opponent's ability to accumulate points.  In judged sports, you put on a performance and then allow your opponent to put on a similar performance and then someone subjectively decides who won.  To be honest, I think it's really black and white.

The only gray areas that I can see are racing (running, swimming, etc.) and NASCAR.  To me, foot racing is a sport - however, you can't really influence your opponent at all.  THere's not much difference between swimming against someone in the next lane and each of you taking turns to find out who won.

2 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Skateboarding, snowboarding, skiing, BMX -- I'll lump all these "action sports" together in the real sports category WHEN in a competitive setting. 

Agility, athleticism, hand-eye-coordination, endurance.. Likely requires more exertion than baseball, so there's that.

but there's no direct competition.  If skateboarding is a sport, then so is color guard.

A sport is an activity which requires some sort of skill/talent being physically exerted in a competitive manner. Some sort of heightened mental awareness and strategy must be present as well.

NASCAR/Motor Racing I feel falls into a grey area. It doesn't take really any physical exertion whatsoever. "But the endurance of these 'athletes' is what makes NASCAR a sport". Well in my eyes not really. Endurance doesn't make an athlete. As @dont care said, many of the drivers run marathons, but that doesn't mean somehow doing one sport makes another one as well. I would consider it a sport if there was more to it. Steer, accelerate, brake and change gears; that's basically all there is to it. It definitely takes skill, but not enough physical exertion.

Golf is a sport. Your swing is the most important thing in golf. It also takes a crap load of mental strategy as well. You can't honestly say baseball is a sport without also acknowledging that golf is one as well.

I wouldn't call synchronized swimming a sport. It's dancing, just in water. I wouldn't call dancing a sport. They're "sport" is demonstrating a routine, none of it is off the cuff. It's a flawless "sport". It's just whoever can come up with the best visual display.

Skateboarding (or other extreme sports) are sports. Nobody can just pick up a skateboarding and start doing tricks. Competitions may be scored by a judge, but that shouldn't matter. The real objective in a sport isn't to score points, it's to outdo one another. Judges set precedent. It's not like they're handing out scores willy-nilly.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

3 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I think it's just further down the continuum. Obviously, powering a bike with your legs is more physically demanding than pushing pedals and turning a steering wheel, but I think it's much harder on the mental/coordination side to control a car at 200 MPH than it is to control a bike at 35 MPH.

Mental faculties and coordination aren't athleticism.

It takes an insane amount of talent to be a NASCAR driver, I think we agree on that point, but you just echoed my point: while extremely talented, the traits that set good drivers apart from great ones have nothing to do with athleticism. In true athletic competition, the elites are almost always distinguished by athleticism.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

1 hour ago, OaklandIsBack said:

Cujo, why do you consider boxing less of a sport than MMA?

:blink: I don't. They're in the same category.

1 hour ago, OaklandIsBack said:

In regards to NASCAR, I don't know that I've ever seen an out of shape driver.

fat-ass-smokeless-tony-stewart.jpg?w=500

Now you have.

6uXNWAo.png

4 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Mental faculties and coordination aren't athleticism.

It takes an insane amount of talent to be a NASCAR driver, I think we agree on that point, but you just echoed my point: while extremely talented, the traits that set good drivers apart from great ones have nothing to do with athleticism. In true athletic competition, the elites are almost always distinguished by athleticism.

Coordination, speed, reflexes, etc. absolutely are athletic things.  It's translating your thoughts into the physical world.

A hockey goalie nabbing a slap shot in his glove is mostly speed. reflex. and coordination.  You don't have to be very strong; a lot of goalies are very wiry.  I think most would say that's an athletic feat.

6 hours ago, LMU said:

Golf's definitely a sport but having guys like John Daly and Angel Cabrera trudge along out there does raise a few eyebrows.

I don't think a sport requires ultra athleticism to be legitimate.  The degree of difficulty can be questioned, though the sporting aspect remains I think.

One I have trouble with is Ice Dancing.  Ballroom dancing isn't an Olympic event (I hope).  

Hunting is NOT a sport.  Fishing is not a sport for me either.  

I remember when Larry Walker finished 2nd to Jacques Villeneuve in a Canadian Athlete of the Year poll- Walker retorted that he lost to a car, which I think is pretty nearsighted.  I'm pro auto racing as sport.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Archived