2016 NCAA Football Thread

CS85

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2016/07/28/when-is-the-college-football-playoff-date-change-bill-hancock-new-years-eve/87644010/

After intense opposition and declining television ratings, the College Football Playoff has discontinued its attempt to create a new tradition on New Year’s Eve.

Playoff executive director Bill Hancock told USA TODAY Sports the event’s management committee has decided to change the dates of the Playoff semifinals In four of seven years when those games were scheduled for Dec. 31. They now will instead be played on the preceding Saturday. The other three years, New Year’s Day falls on Saturday or is designated a Federal holiday.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the best move. Having the semifinal games on a Saturday just makes sense...

Anyhow, I guess it's time to throw out a few thoughts of my own...

-This season might have the best opening week of games to date. The first week brings us these games...

-Oklahoma at Houston (They treat this game as a neutral site game, but come on... you know that crowd is going to be pro-Houston)

-LSU vs. Wisconsin at Green Bay

-UCLA at Texas A&M

-Georgia vs. North Carolina at Atlanta

-USC vs. Alabama at Arlington

-Clemson at Auburn

-Arizona vs. BYU at Phoenix

-Notre Dame at Texas

-Ole Miss vs. Florida State at Orlando

You can't tell me that slate of games doesn't get you excited for the season.

-Who will be this year's Houston among the Group of 5? It might be Houston once again, but I wouldn't count out Boise State or even Appalachian State.

5 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

It's the best move. Having the semifinal games on a Saturday just makes sense...

Anyhow, I guess it's time to throw out a few thoughts of my own...

-This season might have the best opening week of games to date. The first week brings us these games...

-Oklahoma at Houston (They treat this game as a neutral site game, but come on... you know that crowd is going to be pro-Houston)

-LSU vs. Wisconsin at Green Bay

-UCLA at Texas A&M

-Georgia vs. North Carolina at Atlanta

-USC vs. Alabama at Arlington

-Clemson at Auburn

-Arizona vs. BYU at Phoenix

-Notre Dame at Texas

-Ole Miss vs. Florida State at Orlando

You can't tell me that slate of games doesn't get you excited for the season.

-Who will be this year's Houston among the Group of 5? It might be Houston once again, but I wouldn't count out Boise State or even Appalachian State.

A little off topic but it is really sad to see that only 3 of those games are at on campus stadiums. It makes the atmosphere so much better.

Aggies just have to be Aggies.

Texas A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin has suspended offensive line coach Jim Turner and special teams coordinator Jeff Banks for two weeks without pay after slides of a sexist and irresponsible Women’s Clinic presentation went viral on social media. The pair has also been sentenced to 20 hours of community service.

If the name Jim Turner sounds a bit familiar in terms of coaching, he was the Dolphins OL coach during the Jonathan Martin hazing.

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

Aggies just have to be Aggies.

If the name Jim Turner sounds a bit familiar in terms of coaching, he was the Dolphins OL coach during the Jonathan Martin hazing.

Whoever picked them to head that clinic should be probably be suspended with them. If they did something that stupid, I have to believe they have that kind of humor around the football offices, too.

If A&M finish 6-6 I see that whole staff getting canned. When the coaches act like frat boys it'll lead to undisciplined players. We've seen that the last few years and it's manifested itself nationally with Johnny Manziel.  

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

This thread is lacking. Yeah okay, so the CFB season has yet to begin....

Still, as another campaign promise, I would like to push for the reinstatement of one WillMorris. If only for these college football threads.

#maketheCCSLCgreatagain

Coaches Poll is out.

1. Alabama (55 first-place votes)

2. Clemson (7)

3. Oklahoma

4. Florida State (1)

5. Ohio State

6. LSU

7. Stanford

8. Michigan

9. Notre Dame

10. Tennessee (1)

11. Michigan State

12. Ole Miss

13. Houston

14. TCU

15. Iowa

16. Georgia

17. USC

18. Washington

19. Oklahoma State

20. North Carolina

21. Baylor

22. Oregon

23. Louisville

24. UCLA

25. Florida

21 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

Baylor won't last too long in the Top 25. That one jumped right out at me. Tennessee at 10 and Washington at 18 have me intrigued. They are supposed to be two breakout teams this season.

Baylor's schedule is really weak and backloaded.  They can still start 5-1 with an injured squad. 

Here is their first six games:

Northwestern State (FCS)

SMU

@Rice

Oklahoma State

@Iowa State

BYE Week

Kansas

October 29 is their game against Texas and it comes after another BYE Week.  That is when it kicks in. 

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Not surprised.  It seems like CGD likes to kickoff the season in a marquee place, and not your typical college location.

Of all places CGD could go, many of the week 1 options are the usual suspects (Atlanta, Arlington, Houston) or locations where games are played Sunday and Monday (Orlando and Austin)

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

Not surprised.  It seems like CGD likes to kickoff the season in a marquee place, and not your typical college location.

Of all places CGD could go, many of the week 1 options are the usual suspects (Atlanta, Arlington, Houston) or locations where games are played Sunday and Monday (Orlando and Austin)

Notre Dame @ Texas is a FS1 game, so they try pretty hard to be at the site of a non-ESPN/ABC game no more than three times a year with Army/Navy a preferred site. 

Texas/OU will also be a FS1 game, so GameDay is likely not to be at the State Fair.

Archived