2016 NCAA Football Thread

CS85

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic game, even though we lost. This was a weird and unexpected season of success that must of us thought we wouldn't see in a long time and a lot of people didn't want to see happen. For those who didn't want it to happen, all I can say is...MOVE ON.

We are the Big Ten Divisional Champs

We are the Big Ten Champs

We are...well...Penn State.

And there is one thing we can say that Ohio State fans can't say about this bowl season. At least we scored.

5 minutes ago, Viola73 said:

Fantastic game, even though we lost. This was a weird and unexpected season of success that must of us thought we wouldn't see in a long time and a lot of people didn't want to see happen. For those who didn't want it to happen, all I can say is...MOVE ON.

And there is one thing we can say that Ohio State fans can't say about this bowl season. At least we scored.

The Tournament of Roses will send you this via FedEx.

635914012391207778-trophy_zpsweduh1v6.jp

7 minutes ago, Viola73 said:

You also played a crappy team from a crappy conference. I'm sorry, but that's pretty pathetic to compare who Penn State played and who Ohio State played. USC couldn't even win their half of their conference and you saw how bad Alabama on a bad day dominated Washington who won the Pac 12. Yes, USC has offensive potential, but dear lord, do they even play defense? The fact of the matter was this was a game, fun to watch, but you sure as hell can't compare what Penn State did to what Ohio State did. If Penn State would've played either Clemson they wouldn't have scored either and given up at least 70. Penn State had no defense and Johnny Manziel Part II at quarterback. That is a horrible quarterback to watch. He just throws it up and hopes someone catches it. Obviously the end of the game proved this kid has no concept whatsoever how to play the position. Then again, you have to seriously question the play calling of the offensive coordinator. Really? You make the same play call where a guy almost intercepted it? I did not think people were that stupid. Both the QB and offensive coordinator have vaulted themselves to #1 and #2 of the dumbest sports choices of 2017.

That was probably the best Rose Bowl I've watched (didn't see the '06 game live). I know there wasn't any defense, but the two offenses were rolling. There was excitement all around, two 14 point swings, and a last second game-deciding play.

The turf, while beautiful, was atrocious. There's no excuse for the F-ing Rose Bowl to have so many divots and patches. It seemed like the turf was the direct reason of several injuries during the game.

NSFCvyu.png

10 minutes ago, JWhiz96 said:

That was probably the best Rose Bowl I've watched (didn't see the '06 game live). I know there wasn't any defense, but the two offenses were rolling. There was excitement all around, two 14 point swings, and a last second game-deciding play.

The turf, while beautiful, was atrocious. There's no excuse for the F-ing Rose Bowl to have so many divots and patches. It seemed like the turf was the direct reason of several injuries during the game.

You know that SoCal was hit by two separate storms from Friday to Sunday, right? December was the wettest month in L.A. in six years.

2 hours ago, Viola73 said:

You replaced a coach who turned a blind eye to widespread child rape with a coach who turned a blind eye to widespread rape.

Progress!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1 hour ago, jmac11281 said:

And once again, the PSU bashers come out! It was a great offensive game. Not a lick of defense on either side.

Cheer for Pitt.  They even beat Penn State this year.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

At least Ohio State's defense showed up, Iowa let Florida put up 30 points. Florida!  Granted 7 came off a pick 6 but Iowa has cashed out of the season in November 2 years in a row. Ferentz won't get fired because his buyout is too big. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

At least Ohio State's defense showed up, Iowa let Florida put up 30 points. Florida!  Granted 7 came off a pick 6 but Iowa has cashed out of the season in November 2 years in a row. Ferentz won't get fired because his buyout is too big. 

Ferentz won't get fired because going 8-5 is acceptable at a school like Iowa, that isn't a powerhouse and doesn't recruit exceptionally well. Even if Iowa fired Ferentz, who could they possibly get that is better than him as a replacement? 

Also, Ferentz didn't lose a game in November last year, and only lost on the road to Penn State this year. Considering he beat a Top-5 Michigan team and blew the doors of conference rival Nebraska this November, I am extremely confused as to how Iowa has "cashed out" 2 years in a row? 

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Lost the Big Ten Championship, got blown out by Stanford, got blown out by Florida. Yes, they're a good squad but it's like the only reason the players went to Pasadena and Orlando was for the free trips and swag bags. No heart shown in the last two bowl games. They also luck out by having Illinois and Purdue on their schedule. Two other teams that should be able to do better, though Purdue is still playing catch up with facilities. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 minutes ago, DScruggy729 said:

Ferentz won't get fired because going 8-5 is acceptable at a school like Iowa, that isn't a powerhouse and doesn't recruit exceptionally well. Even if Iowa fired Ferentz, who could they possibly get that is better than him as a replacement? 

Also, Ferentz didn't lose a game in November last year, and only lost on the road to Penn State this year. Considering he beat a Top-5 Michigan team and blew the doors of conference rival Nebraska this November, I am extremely confused as to how Iowa has "cashed out" 2 years in a row? 

He cashed out because of the perennially low expectations of the school. He's awful in bowl games. His last three outings: Tennessee 35, Iowa 7; Stanford 35, Iowa 0; Florida 30, Iowa 3. At some point they have to expect greater than just appearing in a bowl.

NSFCvyu.png

6 minutes ago, JWhiz96 said:

He cashed out because of the perennially low expectations of the school. He's awful in bowl games. His last three outings: Tennessee 35, Iowa 7; Stanford 35, Iowa 0; Florida 30, Iowa 3. At some point they have to expect greater than just appearing in a bowl.

This is why I won't go to a bowl game that Iowa plays in.  Not worth spending all that money to watch them get blown out.

I'll be honest - and this is just personal opinion here; if you were entertained by the finish, then that's awesome - I didn't find the last few minutes of the Rose Bowl to be all that amazing or thrilling. If anything, it was grating due to how horribly Penn State handled it. That span of time wasn't some memorable rock'em sock'em fight that USC emerged victorious out of; Penn State played horrifically sloppy football, shot themselves the foot three times over, and USC took advantage of it. Don't get me wrong, credit USC for doing so, truly. Im not at all saying it was only lucky or that they got away with one; they did what they had to when they needed to. But ESPN and the like treating it as something historic is way over the top. I'd call Darnold's performance in the entire game historic for sure, no doubt, but the last few minutes of the game in its entirety wasn't all that fantastic to me.

You should score a tying touchdown and a game winning field goal when your opponent gimmies you with two stupid pass interferences (whose penalty yardage nearly made up most of your entire trying drive) and then subsequently heaves an uneccesary aerial show right into your safety's breadbasket with thirty something seconds left. Let's not forget, all Penn State needed was a field goal too; they had one timeout left and concievably could have played it a lot safer, but instead mashed the nuke button. 

Penn State laid a historic rotten egg, that's for sure, but this wasn't a historic finish. One team rolled over and off a cliff, and the other did it's job like it should have in response. That's really all I see it as personally. Congrats nonetheless though to USC for getting the job done. At least the last few minutes weren't a crapfest on both ends.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

13 minutes ago, JWhiz96 said:

Yes, but in all three of those cases, Iowa happened to be outmatched playing against much better teams. While getting blown out consistently is bad, it's not like his team is that much better than the opposition, in fact it's been much worse. 

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Archived