Hartford Whalers Back to the NHL

AndyGuy213

Ah yes, the Hartford Whalers.

Today, everybody loves the Whale. Everybody wants to see the Whale return. Of all the NHL teams that no longer exist, perhaps none are more popular and remembered more fondly than the Hartford Whalers. I personally loved the Whalers because of their unique logo, that wonderful marriage between a "W" and a whale tail to come together and form a hidden "H" in the middle. During their 18 years in Hartford, the team qualified for the NHL playoffs just eight times, with seven of those appearances coming as the fourth-place team in their division, originally the Norris and later the Adams. In five of their playoff seasons they finished with a losing record, including a 26-41-13 performance during the 1991-92 season, and only once did they advance beyond the first round. My question is, could the Hartford Whalers return? , If so, what would their logo and uniform concepts look like?

If they did in fact return, I think green returning to prominence would be the way to go.  I'd love to see something like the 1993-97 set with green as the primary colour...  Maybe eliminate a few outlines from the logo while you're at it.

9 minutes ago, Morgo said:

If they did in fact return, I think green returning to prominence would be the way to go.  I'd love to see something like the 1993-97 set with green as primary colour...  Maybe eliminated a few outlines from the logo while you're at it.

I will need some time to come up with the Logo, but thank you :) 

Since Vancouver uses green and blue now, I'd actually think about moving away from that for a new Hartford franchise.  Maybe something like kelly green,forest green and silver? I'd try to come up with something nobody else uses. That would still leave the potential for throwback nights.

45 minutes ago, AndyGuy213 said:

How would this look as a secondary logo to Hartford's infamous logo?

whalers_concept.jpg

I like it.  I think it'd make for an awesome shoulder patch.  As for them moving away from blue and green, that would be a bad and completely unnecessary move.  The Whalers could be the Habs to the Canuck's Rangers.

• LMU locked and unlocked this topic

2 hours ago, hockey week said:

Something based on Sean Burke's mask, which is one of the most underrated designs of all time

burkewhalers2.jpg$_1.JPGsean-burke-signed-autograph-goalie-mask-

Forgot about Sean Burke.  That mask was truly an underrated classic, particularly the minimalist design, shown middle and right.

4 hours ago, mjd77 said:

Since Vancouver uses green and blue now, I'd actually think about moving away from that for a new Hartford franchise.  Maybe something like kelly green,forest green and silver? I'd try to come up with something nobody else uses. That would still leave the potential for throwback nights.

But Vancouver are mostly blue with green most as the secondary. Many teams share the same color palette (Boston and Pittsburgh for exemple) but no team had a green dominant color with blue as a secondary color since Hartford changed their jerseys in 1992 so maybe they could use green and blue back. I wouldn't see any other colors for a new Whalers team

7 minutes ago, Nordiks_19 said:

But Vancouver are mostly blue with green most as the secondary. Many teams share the same color palette (Boston and Pittsburgh for exemple) but no team had a green dominant color with blue as a secondary color since Hartford changed their jerseys in 1992 so maybe they could use green and blue back. I wouldn't see any other colors for a new Whalers team

That is true. Very true. And if Hartford returned, Green would be the Dominant color

8 hours ago, mjd77 said:

The Canucks are a royal blue team with kelly green. 

A Whalers 2.0 could use these options:

1. Kelly green with light powder blue(the Penguins' old primary colour).

2. Kelly green with teal. 

3. Hunter green with light powder blue. 

4. Hunter green with teal. (Should've gone with this in '92).

No silver and Pucky the Whale stays as the shoulder patch. 

9 hours ago, AndyGuy213 said:

whalers_concept.jpg

"THE WIND FISH IN NAME ONLY FOR IT IS NEITHER"

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

9 hours ago, AndyGuy213 said:

whalers_concept.jpg

As nice as this logo is, it doesn't really match the iconic Whalers logo aesthetically. The HW logo, while proven timeless, still carries something of a ’70s vibe, whereas this is something super-slick from the 2000s, and also introduces a second shade of blue. Both logos are nice on their own, but together they wouldn't form a cohesive set or identity.

Archived