Why yards in the CFL

smzimbabwe

For as long as I've watched the CFL, I've always wondered, why do they still measure things in yards? Other sports have made the transition to the metric system, just not football it seems. Is it because they figure the American players won't understand, or is it just because it's traditional, even though other sports up there do use the metric system?

Back in the late 70's, my teacher taught us the metric system and said we'd all be using it someday. Hasn't happened yet. Of course, he also took us on field trips to look for Bigfoot too.

Metric is a thousand times easier than imperial.

sorry i have no idea why the CFL still uses the imperial measurement but i'm as keen as you are to find out.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

It doesn't make sense to change it--would teams now need 10 meters to get a first down? Or 9.14 meters (about 10 yards)

It changes the game--leave it as is.

And although we are officially a metric country and I use metric in every day life I still use imperial measurements as well.

Most of us give weight in pounds better than in kilograms--and our height in feet & inches as opposed to centimetres.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

1 hour ago, fumbler said:

Metric is a thousand times easier than imperial.

sorry i have no idea why the CFL still uses the imperial measurement but i'm as keen as you are to find out.

Yes metric is easier--but in Canadian Football you have 3 downs to get 10 yards--so things like feet & inches don't enter into it.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Like Stampman said, Canada also uses the imperial system informally: I don't know what my height and weight are in SI units, most construction and real estate still uses feet and inches (those 9 foot ceilings everyone wants), the list goes on. In addition to it being historically "grandfathered" in and all other football leagues in the world using yards, there is no real reason to change it.

Hell, soccer uses yards for all field dimensions, including the 6 yard area, 12 yards to the penalty spot, and 18 yard area. There should be a bigger movement to change those measurements to SI rather than in the CFL. 

6 hours ago, Cosmic said:

When I went shopping back in June, they used prices per pound in the produce section. Awesome for this Yankee, but I thought it was strange.

Yeah, all the signs advertise prices per pound but have prices per kg in small print, and the prices at the till ring in per kg. I think we're just used to price per lb, and it looks better on a sign or ad.

On 7/30/2016 at 9:40 PM, officeglenn said:

Yeah, all the signs advertise prices per pound but have prices per kg in small print, and the prices at the till ring in per kg. I think we're just used to price per lb, and it looks better on a sign or ad.

And it looks cheaper--that's also why we like to see gas prices for a litre--which is smaller than a gallon.

Archived