NFL 2016: The Regular Season Thread

buzzcut

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

Tavon Austin.. Really?  $30M guaranteed!?!?

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/769657530041536512

Well, I mean Jeff Fisher's got to get fired at some point.  Tavon's numbers don't match his potential because the Rams offense isn't structured to utilize him.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

7 hours ago, Cujo said:

I've had Colin Kaepernick pegged for an uneducated, narcissistic asshat for quite some time, starting with him sporting Dolphins gear several years back, then all the bizarre rape allegations, etc.  As if his career wasn't already over having been benched for Blaine Freaking Gabbert...

There thousands of ways to express/protest BLM, which many of us have no problem with. However, sitting out the nat'l anthem is not one of them.

My first thought was chicken or egg.  

Guy wants to protest the anthem of a nation, the very same nation that completely & utterly affords him the right to do so.

Basically he's a joke, this pretend protest is a joke.  If he were serious about everything, he'd quit professional football, & walk the earth donating all his money to causes in need.  

F'n joke.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

1 hour ago, 2001mark said:

My first thought was chicken or egg.  

Guy wants to protest the anthem of a nation, the very same nation that completely & utterly affords him the right to do so.

Basically he's a joke, this pretend protest is a joke.  If he were serious about everything, he'd quit professional football, & walk the earth donating all his money to causes in need.  

F'n joke.

He has the right to sit out the national anthem too...they wouldn't mke such a big deal out of this if he were to say be a jehova's witness

Hot take warning: we should cool it with the national anthem before sporting events. Maybe save it for international competitions only, where it's more appropriate.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Here's my take.  Kaepernick is too stupid/lazy to remember to stand for the anthem, so he didn't and then he pulled the protest thing out of his ass when he was confronted with it.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

11 hours ago, dfwabel said:

So in which year will it be OK for an athlete  of color is able to share to share his/her feelings?

He's allowed to share his feelings. He chose the wrong platform. Dont give me 'in what year' crap. People of all colors have been able to share their feelings for many years now. So you agree with the event in which he chose to share his feelings? 

55 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

He's allowed to share his feelings. He chose the wrong platform. Dont give me 'in what year' crap. People of all colors have been able to share their feelings for many years now. So you agree with the event in which he chose to share his feelings? 

It's also the endless cycle of controversy that follows him. Eventually you got to think, hey this guy might just be an attention whore who happens the be athletic but has no talent and should just be cut to save us all from his attention whoring.

3 minutes ago, dont care said:

It's also the endless cycle of controversy that follows him. Eventually you got to think, hey this guy might just be an attention whore who happens the be athletic but has no talent and should just be cut to save us all from his attention whoring.

That is definitely more of my point. He's done some weird things in the past and now that he's lost his job, he has to stay relevant.

2 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

That is definitely more of my point. He's done some weird things in the past and now that he's lost his job, he has to stay relevant.

I wonder what the headlines would be like if post-Brazil Ryan Lochte didn't stand for a public anthem playing - regardless his intent if he was doing so for BLM or anti-war.  

'Meh Lochte Wants Attention'

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

13 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Hot take warning: we should cool it with the national anthem before sporting events. Maybe save it for international competitions only, where it's more appropriate.

I've never understood the need for the anthem before professional sports events.  It's not like the players are representing the US (and in some cases they're not American citizens) and it's not like the US is sponsoring or sanctioning the event.

I ran a 10k race this morning, and they had a singer do the anthem.  I stood there playing on my phone - not out of protest of US policies or BLM or anything, but protesting the singing of the anthem.  I looked around and saw a few people, hand over heart, eyes tightly shut looking like they may cry (def the extreme minority of people but still some).  I just don't get it.  At least a "USA! USA! USA!" chant didn't break out.

All it does is get a crowd riled up and enforce people's jingoistic beliefs.  From my experience working in an NFL stadium for 10 seasons, the majority (NOT ALL) of people that come to these events fit the profile of "I'm not xenophobic, I just think that USA is the best and all the other countries aren't as good."  

I have no problem with him sitting it out.  I think the guy is an idiot and I think that not many take him seriously so his protest will have little (if any) impact, but I'm fine with it.  If the NFL can use games to push the Pro USA agenda, then the players can use games to push their agendas, as long as they know that they're doing so at their own risk of ridicule and/or alienation.  For example, if a player waved a "Make America Great Again" towel during the anthem, he'd probably lose some people as fans.  I'm fine with him doing it though, I just think it wouldn't make sense to do so.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Kaepernic story is a non-story which I fail to see the controversy in. He's within his first amendment rights to do as he chooses. If he was doing something that violates the law, that would be a different story. Other wise, who cares about a qb that's about to be out of the league. 

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

54 minutes ago, Coast2CoastAM2006 said:

The Kaepernic story is a non-story which I fail to see the controversy in. He's within his first amendment rights to do as he chooses. If he was doing something that violates the law, that would be a different story. Other wise, who cares about a qb that's about to be out of the league. 

He's allowed to do what he wants. No problem. But he also has to take criticism for making this choice. Veterans and families of veterans who lost their lives in wars are going to be offended. You're right. He did nothing illegal and he did not break an NFL rule either. But his reasoning is flawed and disingenuous. He has made millions in a country that "OPPRESSES people of color". He's not doing anything to help the BLM movement whatsoever. 

I agree with one thing. He is a QB about to not have a job.

59 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

He's allowed to do what he wants. No problem. But he also has to take criticism for making this choice. Veterans and families of veterans who lost their lives in wars are going to be offended. You're right. He did nothing illegal and he did not break an NFL rule either. But his reasoning is flawed and disingenuous. He has made millions in a country that "OPPRESSES people of color". He's not doing anything to help the BLM movement whatsoever. 

I agree with one thing. He is a QB about to not have a job.

I get what you are saying and largely agree. I just don't feel it's a major news story. If people want to shred him on social media, they can have at it. It's just not a major story for me. It's no different from most of the stuff that comes from the entertainment industry. 

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

7 minutes ago, Coast2CoastAM2006 said:

I get what you are saying and largely agree. I just don't feel it's a major news story. If people want to shred him on social media, they can have at it. It's just not a major story for me. It's no different from most of the stuff that comes from the entertainment industry. 

Oh okay. I read it wrong. It's the 24/7 coverage, gotta have a fresh story world. The NFL and the sports world has intertwined with the TMZ world. I completely agree with you. It's why I stay away from most sports talk.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I've never understood the need for the anthem before professional sports events.  It's not like the players are representing the US (and in some cases they're not American citizens) and it's not like the US is sponsoring or sanctioning the event.

I agree. I'll go a step further and say that I don't understand why it's played before any sports event. My guess is it probably started with one team playing the anthem, other teams didn't want to look like America hating commies so they played it too, and here we are. That said, if the anthem is being played, I don't see the harm in showing simple respect. I think it's kinda silly to play the national anthem before games, but I still show respect when it's played. It's not like being respectful takes a huge effort.

Anyway, Colin Kaepernick sitting out the anthem doesn't change my opinion of him in any way. He did what he thought was right and it was his right to do so, right?

BB52Big.jpg

I think playing the anthem before a non-international sports event is ridiculous, but I still stand and remove my cap during both anthems when I'm at a game. Just because I don't think the anthem should be played doesn't mean I don't respect it. I also stand during the American anthem because why not? I certainly don't love the U.S. but I'll still stand and respect it, because it bothers me to no end when American fans will go about their business during the Canadian anthem then place their hand over their heart and cry and sing during theirs. It's just a matter of respect.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Hot take part 2 alert: Veterans fought in wars precisely so Kaepernick could refuse to stand during the national anthem. Freedom is the freedom to sit or stand whenever you want. And of course to take criticism after the fact. But Kaepernick doesn't owe anyone anything, so long as he's not actively hurting people. (And he isn't.)

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived