NFL 2016: The Regular Season Thread

buzzcut

In soccer, the referee has the responsibility to set the tone for the match, and does so with foul calls, yellow cards and red cards. A good ref will draw the line really early so that everyone knows what kind of tackles will be accepted and what will create an opportunity for the other team.

The refs last night made it clear you can't pogo up and down after a touchdown, but you can CTE the star QB in the head over and over. That's messed up.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Broncos fan and I was a little put off by some of the hits last night. The two of the three shown above really irk me, because I know that they aren't going to tackle any other QB that way for the rest of the season (except maybe Brady). Would it really be that hard for Darien Stewart (#26) to plow his shoulder through Cam's chest? Same effect, big hit. That one and the Brandon Marshall one were obviously targeting his head. The one with Von Miller I'm okay with because both players were upright and Cam was bumped into Von's path. Von is going for a wrap up, not a shot to the head. 

The one on Kelvin Benjamin's knees is the only way to tackle him. The dude's 245 pounds and has probably 50 pounds on every DB in the league - you have to go for his legs because he will break every arm tackle. I think those big wideouts (and Gronk) understand that is a risk of their job.

No personal foul penalties by Talib though so everyone's eyes, necks, and feelings are okay.

EDIT: Von's hit was in the pocket so it could have been called regardless of the lack of spearing.

1 hour ago, BlackBolt3 said:

But look at the tape man. This is disgraceful:

Three hits, but the video shows multiple angles, dupes you into thinking Cam took 5 head shots.

The Marshall and Stewart htis were definitely flag-worthy, no excuses. But Von's hit was definitely NOT head-hunting, wasn't even leading with his helmet. Not even close.

6uXNWAo.png

2 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

I hate to place blame on referees after games. It's a cheap cop out that can interpreted into many loose judgment calls.

But look at the tape man. This is disgraceful:

Watching all of those hits stringed together almost makes it feel like a snuff film. The hit by Darian Stewart in particular should have been the unquestioned end of Newton's night. He was lying on the filed unconscious for several seconds. If he got hit with the same kind of shot in an MMA fight or a boxing match, they would have stopped the fight right then and there. Anyone with even a ounce of common sense could tell it was almost a guarantee that he had a concussion from that hit if he didn't have one already and nobody on the sidelines even batted an eye. Not the refs, not the medical personal, not the coaching staff, nobody. The only person looking out for Cam Newton other than his teammates was Cam Newton, so either the people in charge of looking out for Newton's health are incompetent or they didn't care. Take your pick.

I don't expect the NFL to ever take the issue of player safety seriously. If they did the game wouldn't exist or at least not in its present day form. The only way to avoid serious long term injury in the NFL is to not play at all. But even with the bar set that low, what happened to Cam Newton last night still stands out as something that was inexcusable even for a league that pretends to care about player safety.

Question: do the refs swallow their whistle a bit more because Cam is a running QB? It's all speculation, but it feels like the league wouldn't have let Peyton Manning get his brains scrambled in a marquee game.

Ugh. Football becomes so much harder to watch if you use your brain as well as your eyes.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

That Brandon Marshall hit is brutal -- he should've been thrown out of the game for that one.  I think the other two are incidental.  I'd like to think Darrian Stewart isn't dumb enough to go for a head shot that could've costed his team the game, but who knows?  No excuse for the officials not calling them or Cam staying in the game after the last one, though.

IUe6Hvh.png

2 hours ago, rsaline said:

Broncos fan and I was a little put off by some of the hits last night. The two of the three shown above really irk me, because I know that they aren't going to tackle any other QB that way for the rest of the season (except maybe Brady). Would it really be that hard for Darien Stewart (#26) to plow his shoulder through Cam's chest? Same effect, big hit. That one and the Brandon Marshall one were obviously targeting his head. The one with Von Miller I'm okay with because both players were upright and Cam was bumped into Von's path. Von is going for a wrap up, not a shot to the head. 

The one on Kelvin Benjamin's knees is the only way to tackle him. The dude's 245 pounds and has probably 50 pounds on every DB in the league - you have to go for his legs because he will break every arm tackle. I think those big wideouts (and Gronk) understand that is a risk of their job.

No personal foul penalties by Talib though so everyone's eyes, necks, and feelings are okay.

EDIT: Von's hit was in the pocket so it could have been called regardless of the lack of spearing.

Nice assessment. I agree with you about Von's hit being incidental. 

What frustrates me is that if that were Brady or Rodgers back there getting it in the head, penalties would have been called as well as the refs giving the penalized players a stern talking to. Why are athletic quarterbacks not afforded that same kind treatment?

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

32 minutes ago, pmoehrin said:

Watching all of those hits stringed together almost makes it feel like a snuff film. The hit by Darian Stewart in particular should have been the unquestioned end of Newton's night. He was lying on the filed unconscious for several seconds. If he got hit with the same kind of shot in an MMA fight or a boxing match, they would have stopped the fight right then and there. Anyone with even a ounce of common sense could tell it was almost a guarantee that he had a concussion from that hit if he didn't have one already and nobody on the sidelines even batted an eye. Not the refs, not the medical personal, not the coaching staff, nobody. The only person looking out for Cam Newton other than his teammates was Cam Newton, so either the people in charge of looking out for Newton's health are incompetent or they didn't care. Take your pick.

I don't expect the NFL to ever take the issue of player safety seriously. If they did the game wouldn't exist or at least not in its present day form. The only way to avoid serious long term injury in the NFL is to not play at all. But even with the bar set that low, what happened to Cam Newton last night still stands out as something that was inexcusable even for a league that pretends to care about player safety.

I understand football's an aggressive game, but with this many headshots this long after Super Bowl L,  you'd think that Cam Newton knocked up one of the Broncos' sister or something.

What's just as bad is that if this happened to just about any other marquee NFL quarterback (i.e., likely one that's won a Super Bowl) or in any other situation the offending defender would've been flagged and ejected. Which is a shame because an NFL "golden boy" such as Ben Roethlisberger (who may actually knock up their sister if given the chance) may never get such a satisfying comeuppance.

Excuse me while I go wash my hands for typing "Ben Roethlisberger" and "golden boy" in the same sentence.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

3 hours ago, See Red said:

That Brandon Marshall hit is brutal -- he should've been thrown out of the game for that one.  I think the other two are incidental.  I'd like to think Darrian Stewart isn't dumb enough to go for a head shot that could've costed his team the game, but who knows?  No excuse for the officials not calling them or Cam staying in the game after the last one, though.

I agree that Marshall should have been tossed.I would not be totally opposed to to Stewart being tossed...he flirted with launching himself too.  I don't know that these guys were motivated by malice, but it's not just about that.  The league needs to send messages that will lead to better discipline.  

I only watched the last 10 minutes or so last night.  And watching Denver stop them and pick up penalties (including that illegal hands to the face one) made me cringe...I had a feeling a team that kinda was doing enough to stop 'em was going to derp its way into a loss.  But that's life and we're entering a new era where it's not just about tackling; it's about doing it right (the way I was taught in my park board league my one year of football in the late 1980s).  You are being graded on technique.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

5 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I agree.  I've heard some people describe the Seahawks' plan as a protest, and some saying it will honor soldiers, firefighters, and the like.  I don't need them to do anything special, but I hope they wait a week if they're all going to kneel.

5 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Question: do the refs swallow their whistle a bit more because Cam is a running QB? It's all speculation, but it feels like the league wouldn't have let Peyton Manning get his brains scrambled in a marquee game.

Ugh. Football becomes so much harder to watch if you use your brain as well as your eyes.

From last season:

“I was really baffled by what was said to me,” Newton said after the game in his news conference. “I was rolling out trying to string out the play and create some type of opportunity to get a completion and the defensive lineman, you know, kind of hit me. It was close. It was right on the cusp. Was it a late hit? I don’t know. But the response that I got was, ‘Cam you’re not old enough to get that call.’”

Those words allegedly came from the mouth of the NFL’s most popular referee, Ed Hochuli. A source close to Hochuli said the referee denied making the statement to Newton.

Newton looked to Hochuli, and upon getting a response, Newton could be seen shaking his head demonstratively in a show of disagreement.

“I’m looking at him like what? Jesus. I didn’t think you had to have seniority to get a personal foul or anything like that,” Newton said. “You just have to be accountable. It’s one thing to be frustrated in a situation where you see a personal foul on the opposing quarterback get called, and then for me when it’s something around the same range and for that flag not to be called, it’s…I’m ticked off. Really.

“Just the fact that it’s kind of, one, did he miss the call? If he would have said he missed the call, that’s one thing. But for his response to be what it was, that I’m not old enough to get that call, geez. So heaven forbid he gets any rookies. They’re going to have a long day. So, I don’t know.”

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article36767619.html

10 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

We do 9/11 sales now.  The sanctity is dead.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

5 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Last season there were ZERO Roughing the Passer penalties called on hits to Newton. Take that as you wish.

Michael Vick said several times that he rarely had hits called against him because he was a "running" QB.  I don't recall if he said that a ref actually told him this during a game, but I kinda think I remember him saying something like that.

I totally think that the refs subconsciously think that certain QBs are always a split second away from becoming RBs, and don't give them teh same protection that white statues get.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Debate the legitimacy of the hits all you want, but if we keep watching week by week, it becomes a moot point. Nothing changes if nothing changes.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Archived