NFL 2016: The Regular Season Thread

buzzcut

8 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I don't think Osweiler will be anything better than middle-of-the-pack.  Serviceable, game manager, that kind of QB.

No matter if it's keeping your own or acquiring via trade or free agency, you're going to have to ante up for a QB.  That's just the way the economics of the NFL are today.  I mentioned Tyrod Taylor earlier....he's got, I believe, a losing record for his career and has never taken his team to the playoffs, yet the Bills made him a $100 million QB.  You think you have your answer, you lock him up or you risk tumbling around in NFL mediocrity (or worse) for a decade. Agents know teams are deathly afraid of becoming a long-term pee-on, so the agents and QB's have so much leverage than the teams do.  You just aren't going to find a QB in free agency that doesn't have some red flags about him.  Carson Palmer had concussion issues and uncertainty if he'd retire at some point.  Drew Brees had injury concerns when he left San Diego...remember, he failed Miami's physical exam before he signed with the Saints.  Alex Smith was thought to be troubled-in-the-head goods.  Favre had age/retirement concerns.  The Bears thought it was the safer play to stick with Cutler instead of going a different direction.  Even Peyton Manning had health concerns with his neck when he signed with the Broncos.

The Texans didn't have the most appetizing of options for QB this past offseason.  They could have kept what they had....Yates/Hoyer/Mallett.  They didn't want to sink their future by giving up a lot of picks to move up in the draft for Wentz/Goff.  They didn't want to trade whatever to acquire a Bradford or a Fitzpatrick.  They must not have liked whatever other QB prospects that were in this draft class.  So, their lone option was free agency.  And they signed the best-available QB out there, that's still young enough that he could become something.

I was against the Osweiler signing, but local radio guys brought up where his salary actually falls back in the spring. According to this site, he's tied for 17th highest QB salary with two other guys. That includes the free agent premium.  Andy Dalton is 23rd with $16M versus Osweiler's 18M; things drop off more after that. That's just what you have to pay guys if you think they're your starting QB. Salary is what it is; contracts are pretty much meaningless in the NFL, so I won't criticize them for that.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I was against the Osweiler signing, but local radio guys brought up where his salary actually falls back in the spring. According to this site, he's tied for 17th highest QB salary with two other guys. That includes the free agent premium.  Andy Dalton is 23rd with $16M versus Osweiler's 18M; things drop off more after that. That's just what you have to pay guys if you think they're your starting QB. Salary is what it is; contracts are pretty much meaningless in the NFL, so I won't criticize them for that.

Yeah I never really saw Brock as anything special I kind of saw him as a average qb who benefited from that awesome d something I like to call the Trent Dilfer

principle but Houston threw some cash at him expecting something more

26 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Has there ever been a more Thursday Night Football matchup than Tennessee and Jacksonville?

Worse than that, it feels like we've had this game on Thursday twice already this season. TNF (and the AFC South) suck.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Worse than that, it feels like we've had this game on Thursday twice already this season. TNF (and the AFC South) suck.

Can you imagine how ghastly network upfronts must have gotten for them to say "Jesus, we can't sell this crap, quick, buy the rights to simulcast a Titans-Jaguars game"?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

48 minutes ago, ninersdd said:

Buh bye Gus Bradley.

Yes. It's time to pull the plug.

He has the worst record of any coach who has coached a minimum of 50 games plus they start so poorly, I wonder if they're overworked during the week (which is also hard to do under the practice rules).

3 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Yes. It's time to pull the plug.

He has the worst record of any coach who has coached a minimum of 50 games plus they start so poorly, I wonder if they're overworked during the week (which is also hard to do under the practice rules).

It is stupid to think that coordinators have the ability to be a head coach just because the players on their unit happen to play well while they were the coordinator.   I will never understand why the "hot" coordinator is always looked at as the next head-coaching prospect. There is a lot more that goes into being a head coach then knowing how to call plays for a particular unit.

A coordinator  might very well be qualified, but not just because their unit was good. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

32 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It is stupid to think that coordinators have the ability to be a head coach just because the players on their unit happen to play well while they were the coordinator.   I will never understand why the "hot" coordinator is always looked at as the next head-coaching prospect. There is a lot more that goes into being a head coach then knowing how to call plays for a particular unit.

A coordinator  might very well be qualified, but not just because their unit was good. 

Ironically, Mike Lombardi has been railing on that subject all season every Friday w/ Bill Simmons.

The Peter Principle seems obvious with the Giants, Chargers, Jets, Colts and anytime Wade Phillips is hired.

You still get some hits with coordinators, like Marvin Lewis, Sean Payton, and Bruce Arians.

Retreads can be successful like Belicheck, Carroll, and Dungy. Just as non-coordinators like Cowher, Tomlin, and Reid.

It's a f'n roll of the dice for the most part, but not as risky as college football coaching hires.

Technically Reid was never a coordinator. He was a QB coach then head coach. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

17 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

Yep same unis as last year too to make the idea of watching this game even more unappealing (if possible)

I had it on channel flip from the Leafs game.  Color rush simply does not look or feel like an NFL game.  Why is the league so dumb to cannibalize itself.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

1 hour ago, 2001mark said:

I had it on channel flip from the Leafs game.  Color rush simply does not look or feel like an NFL game.  Why is the league so dumb to cannibalize itself.

Good thing I had errands to run the idea of color rush imo is not that bad there are some that look good with monochrome but the execution of most are butt ugly I also wonder who thought it would be good to have the jags and titans play each other again on thursday

I think Gothamite cracked the case on Color Rush, which is that it makes players stand out as much as possible on small screens, e.g., watching through Twitter on your phone, which apparently you can do now.

15 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Well, I mean, head coaches have to come from somewhere, don't they? Football doesn't have a true "right-hand man" assistant coach the way other sports do, so being the complementary coordinator (e.g., DC Lovie Smith under offensive mad scientist/HC Mike Martz) is about as close as you can get to predicting someone's leadership, delegation, etc.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

Good thing I had errands to run the idea of color rush imo is not that bad there are some that look good with monochrome but the execution of most are butt ugly I also wonder who thought it would be good to have the jags and titans play each other again on thursday

To be fair, since every single team is scheduled into a TNF for parity's sake, at least having 2 of the worst match up offers a glimmer of competitiveness.  

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

11 hours ago, 2001mark said:

To be fair, since every single team is scheduled into a TNF for parity's sake, at least having 2 of the worst match up offers a glimmer of competitiveness.  

True that guess it is worth seeing the resistable force vs the movable object

Archived