NFL 2016: The Regular Season Thread

buzzcut

The Cowboys also still do training camp in Oxnard, so it'd be pretty easy and probably beneficial to both sides to just have Dallas come down the road. I almost expect this to be a regular thing.

(Which I don't know why Cowboys would still be allowed to do that. The Rams regular season practice facility is 20 miles away! Both in Ventura County! I'm sure the Rams aren't going to put up a big stink about it because Jerry Jones did Kroenke a solid (and the Rams are training in Orange County), but still. You know Jerry would put up a fit if someone tried training camp in Fort Worth or something.)

---

As for the game itself, cool to have the Los Angeles Rams full on and official again. In my learning process of reminting myself as a Rams fan, I was excited for the game only to be quickly reminded that oh... this is still the Rams. The first string defense is *supposed* to be the best part of this team, but that secondary needs definite work, especially at corner.

Keenum was okay. Goff was limited but looked fine (could've even made a TD drive if the entire receiving corps didn't have the dropsies) and held out for precaution. Mannion and the third stringers looked decent in the comeback, which was great. Nice to open the first game back with a win even if it's the back-ups and the preseason. It's a good feeling there.

More time to go, but... man... LOS ANGELES RAMS!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

As for the game itself, cool to have the Los Angeles Rams full on and official again. In my learning process of reminting myself as a Rams fan, I was excited for the game only to be quickly reminded that oh... this is still the Rams. The first string defense is *supposed* to be the best part of this team, but that secondary needs definite work, especially at corner.

Keenum was okay. Goff was limited but looked fine (could've even made a TD drive if the entire receiving corps didn't have the dropsies) and held out for precaution. Mannion and the third stringers looked decent in the comeback, which was great. Nice to open the first game back with a win even if it's the back-ups and the preseason. It's a good feeling there.

Heh...reminds me of all the Winnipeg folks that were ecstatic about having the Jets again.  Then reality set in...you did acquire the Thrashers, a relative tire fire on the parent club and a bunch of flaming poo in the pipeline.

On 8/13/2016 at 10:25 PM, Lee Noire said:

If this never happens again I'll be happy. I'm a Cowboys fan because I grew up without a team at home in LA. Now that the Rams are back I'd like to follow them as well. It's Cowboys all day if they do play again, but I'd hate to see the home town team lose.

Its preseason, but I liked what I saw out of Dak. He looked good in the pocket, and was accurate. It will be interesting to see what he looks like against a better defense.

Not me. I'd love to continue to see Cowboys-Rams preseason games. It was a fun experience. We got there so early that we had time to check out the science center, which is a nice visit and I hadn't been in there in about a decade. Learned some things about watching a game at the Coliseum too. Namely, to bring a hat (preferably a straw hat), don't wear jeans, pick a section that actually has seats, not benches, and finally to sit in the western half of the bowl where it gets shaded quicker. All-in-all, it was a ton of fun. I can't wait to go again and plan on going to a regular season game this year. It'll be fun cheering on the home team. I would have definitely gone to the Chiefs-Rams game this Saturday if I had an extra $100, but oh well.

By the way, did you expect the kind of performance Dak had? I sure as hell didn't. Obviously, he won't repeat what he did Saturday seeing as that just about as perfect of a debut that a rookie QB could have. I'm trying to not to get too excited, but if he can keeping play at this high level, the Cowboys may have just found their successor to Romo.

On 8/15/2016 at 2:52 PM, Still MIGHTY said:

The Cowboys also still do training camp in Oxnard, so it'd be pretty easy and probably beneficial to both sides to just have Dallas come down the road. I almost expect this to be a regular thing.

(Which I don't know why Cowboys would still be allowed to do that. The Rams regular season practice facility is 20 miles away! Both in Ventura County! I'm sure the Rams aren't going to put up a big stink about it because Jerry Jones did Kroenke a solid (and the Rams are training in Orange County), but still. You know Jerry would put up a fit if someone tried training camp in Fort Worth or something.)

---

I think the Cowboys have been holding their TC in Oxnard and Thousand Oaks for over 40 years. Just one of those things that the Cowboys have been grandfathered into. I know they plan on having their TC in that new facility in Frisco in the upcoming years, but I heard that they're still have a contractual obligation to have their TC at Oxnard for the next couple. 

I wouldn't read too much into the Rams' defensive troubles against the Cowboys. There are a lot of teams that struggle against the Dallas' o-line, with Dez and a competent QB. To me, what was more concerning was that the Rams offense looked really bad. I know Gurley wasn't playing, which is significant, but they were struggling against a Dallas defense with over half of its starters missing. Like you said, this is still the Rams. They've got a lot of work to do to get that offense up to par.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Hard Rock Stadium? :unsure:

I mean it's not a bad name. It's just that the renovations they've put on the stadium don't make it look like something that's called "Hard Rock Stadium". Still, I hope the name lasts long because this will be the eighth name the stadium goes by... in it's thirty-year history. I'd like to keep the names consistent, even if it's associated with cooperate marketing.

I may be late to the party, but Ralph Wilson Stadium is now New Era Stadium, but it sounds like Ralph Wilson will still be honored in some way.  New Era isn't a bad name, since New Era Cap is a local Buffalo-based company.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2016/08/15/new-era-deal-may-also-keep-wilson-s-name-in-some.html

Hard Rock Stadium isn't bad, it kinda fits the style of the new venue.  Hopefully it stick a bit more long term than the recent Sun Life/Landshark/Dolphin/Dolphins/ProPlayer/Joe Robbie Stadium.

16 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Not me. I'd love to continue to see Cowboys-Rams preseason games. It was a fun experience. We got there so early that we had time to check out the science center, which is a nice visit and I hadn't been in there in about a decade. Learned some things about watching a game at the Coliseum too. Namely, to bring a hat (preferably a straw hat), don't wear jeans, pick a section that actually has seats, not benches, and finally to sit in the western half of the bowl where it gets shaded quicker. All-in-all, it was a ton of fun. I can't wait to go again and plan on going to a regular season game this year. It'll be fun cheering on the home team. I would have definitely gone to the Chiefs-Rams game this Saturday if I had an extra $100, but oh well.

By the way, did you expect the kind of performance Dak had? I sure as hell didn't. Obviously, he won't repeat what he did Saturday seeing as that just about as perfect of a debut that a rookie QB could have. I'm trying to not to get too excited, but if he can keeping play at this high level, the Cowboys may have just found their successor to Romo.

The coliseum was always an awesome trip for me. Went to a few USC games over the years, but I can only imagine the atmosphere for the Rams and Cowboys. Glad you enjoyed it. I guess I should appreciate the Boys coming into town, because outside of games against the Chargers I'd never see them live.

I didnt expect that from Dak at all. I was actually upset with the pick, but he looked really good behind that line. Which isn't hard, but some starters didnt play so it's not a given. I'm excited to see what else he has because life without Romo is scary.

8 hours ago, Lee Noire said:

The coliseum was always an awesome trip for me. Went to a few USC games over the years, but I can only imagine the atmosphere for the Rams and Cowboys. Glad you enjoyed it. I guess I should appreciate the Boys coming into town, because outside of games against the Chargers I'd never see them live.

I didnt expect that from Dak at all. I was actually upset with the pick, but he looked really good behind that line. Which isn't hard, but some starters didnt play so it's not a given. I'm excited to see what else he has because life without Romo is scary.

life with Romo is scary, just ask Jessica Simpson when she was hot, and Carrie Underwood.

15 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Idea: Use the preseason games to give coaches who don't necessarily have a lot of head coaching experience have a chance to lead teams. Much like what the NBA does in Summer League.

I'm not sure if this would work.  The preseason of the NFL is more like game prep for regular season, while the NBA Summer League is a showcase of rookies, second years, and unsigned free agents.

On 8/17/2016 at 3:51 AM, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Hard Rock Stadium? :unsure:

I mean it's not a bad name. It's just that the renovations they've put on the stadium don't make it look like something that's called "Hard Rock Stadium". Still, I hope the name lasts long because this will be the eighth name the stadium goes by... in it's thirty-year history. I'd like to keep the names consistent, even if it's associated with cooperate marketing.

The renovations they put on the stadium make it look like it should be called something like "Shepherd's Ground at Winchestergerber's Yard"

It's had a lot of names, but its naming journey is even worse when you consider that it was Joe Robbie Stadium for the first 9 years and Pro Player Stadium for 9 years after that so for the last decade it's had a complete identity crisis. 

Here's the list from Wikipedia:

Joe Robbie Stadium August 16, 1987 August 25, 1996

Pro Player Park August 26, 1996 September 9, 1996 (TWO WEEKS!?! LOLOL)

Pro Player Stadium September 10, 1996 January 9, 2005

Dolphins Stadium January 10, 2005 April 7, 2006

Dolphin Stadium April 8, 2006 May 7, 2009 (I would've loved to have been in the meeting when they discussed changing the name from Dolphins Stadium to Dolphin Stadium. Probably took all day)

Land Shark Stadium May 8, 2009 January 5, 2010

Dolphin Stadium January 6, 2010 January 19, 2010

Sun Life Stadium January 20, 2010 January 31, 2016

New Miami Stadium February 1, 2016 August 16, 2016 

Hard Rock Stadium August 16, 2016 - if they don't sell "Hard Rock Cafe" *subheading* "Hard Rock Stadium" t-shirts in the team store I'll be very disappointed. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Oh :censored: ,  Darren Shawpah, hahrdes hittin' safety in da league, is off to jail for 220 months on rape charges.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On August 17, 2016 at 2:27 PM, Lee Noire said:

Dude, he did it again. Dak had a perfect game. Literally. He's incredible so far.

53 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Dude, he did it again. Dak had a perfect game. Literally. He's incredible so far.

I'm pleased to see what he has done the last couple of games. I know people where down on the Cowboys not getting Paxton Lynch but there's something to be said about Dak being a steal. What a steal it could be if he could take over as a legit starter in 1 to 2 years.  

What impressed me about him was in the second quarter he had 2 TDs on the same drive waved off and still managed to end the drive with a TD. I know it's the dolphins, but still I like what I have seen out of him. Now I want to see what Zeke Elliot can do. That's the pick that I'm anxious to see. 

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

3 hours ago, Coast2CoastAM2006 said:

I'm pleased to see what he has done the last couple of games. I know people where down on the Cowboys not getting Paxton Lynch but there's something to be said about Dak being a steal. What a steal it could be if he could take over as a legit starter in 1 to 2 years.  

What impressed me about him was in the second quarter he had 2 TDs on the same drive waved off and still managed to end the drive with a TD. I know it's the dolphins, but still I like what I have seen out of him. Now I want to see what Zeke Elliot can do. That's the pick that I'm anxious to see. 

I'm honestly shocked. He looks like he should have been the number 1 pick and best of all, the Cowboys didn't have to mortgage their future, like the Rams and Eagles did, to get him.

Hopefully Zeke plays next week. I'm eager to see him in action. Although, to be honest, I'd be quite alright with Alfred as our starter for the time being. I still don't understand why he was so under utilized by the Skins last season. The dude is a quality back and a class act. I'm happy he's a Cowboys seeing as he was my favorite Redskin.

Just imagine this: what if Zeke turns out to be the back we all hope he is, Dak continues this incredible play and ends up as Romo's successor and Jaylon Smith's nerve re-fires. The Cowboys 2016 draft would be remembered as one of the teams' best in franchise history just on those 3 alone.

Remember that no DC is scheming for him yet. It also helps that Terrance Williams and Escobar know each is in a contract season and has disappointed for the first three years.

Defense staying on the field is still going to be their issue.

Archived