Brutalist buildings

ScotM

Monument to the uprising of the people of Kordun and Banija is a World War II monument built on Petrovac, the highest peak of Petrova Gora, a mountain range in central Croatia.

image.jpeg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For every bad example there are more great ones...

Salk Institute, Habitat 67, Bangladesh National Assembly, Yale Art + Architecture

stringio.jpg?1414230565

Habitat-67-Brutalism-feature_dezeen_BN01

07_0000515_0.jpeg

5fd3c392ab35723985cbae8f3874ce1a.jpg?w=1

FWIW I actually quite like Boston City Hall.

Matt, thanks for posting good Brutalism. I freaking love brutalism. Brutalism is great. Just trust us, we're architects.

One of my favorite - Wotruba Kirche in Vienna. 

image.jpeg

11 minutes ago, lopernv said:

Thanks for sharing Josh, hadn't seen that before.

Saw this one when I was in Vienna back in  2010.

Oddly enough, some of Sverre Fehn's work can be considered brutalist too. If you remember my Norway trip, he's the architect whose work I was studying on the research fellowship.

First Pic - Aukrustsenteret in Alvdal, Norway

Second Pic - Norsk Bremuseum in Fjærland, Norway

Third Pic - Ivar Aasen-tunet in Ørsta, Norway

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 7/30/2016 at 9:12 PM, XenonDesigns said:

I hate brutalist architecture just because of the city hall in Boston. But that building doesn't look that bad.

image.jpeg

"The box that Faneuil Hall came in"

City Hall is terrible, but it's only made worse by the vast wasteland of brick that surrounds it. There's been plans for years to transform it, but it's built on only 3 feet of soil (the subway tunnels are directly below). I was reading an article just yesterday about how obsolete the building truly is in terms of volume (about 200 residents visit the clerks daily as apposed to 20,000 20 years ago). 

On top of those problems, the whole back story of it's construction is a sad tale in Urban Renewal. See: Demolition of the West End, great reads to be found.

On 7/30/2016 at 9:12 PM, XenonDesigns said:

I hate brutalist architecture just because of the city hall in Boston. But that building doesn't look that bad.

image.jpeg

Separated at birth?  The Circuit Court for Baltimore County (Towson, MD )

TowsonCirCt.jpg

, , , and about 3 blocks away . . . a much nicer example of brutalism, improved greatly when the red(dish) paint was added about 10 years ago.

TowsonLibrary.jpg

community-history-towson-branch.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived