I'll chime in...the Cubs grays are, in my view, borderline putting lipstick on a pig.  I've simply never liked the lettering style of the current Chicago script.  However, I have no issues with either how the blue jerseys have basically become the roads in all but name, nor the added piping here.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Discrimihater said:

I'll chime in...the Cubs grays are, in my view, borderline putting lipstick on a pig.  I've simply never liked the lettering style of the current Chicago script.  However, I have no issues with either how the blue jerseys have basically become the roads in all but name, nor the added piping here.

Ok. Do you think I should straight up use the wordmark from the 50's and 60's? It's something I considered early on in the process.

Sorry for being too brief, I'm trying to get all the laundry done before midnight...but on that front, maybe.  It's your concept...I've been giving enough input to @coco1997, I don't have enough brains to think for you too :P  All kidding aside, maybe a new direction would be in order.  Hell, I'd be in favor of a gray version of the pinstripes, just for the hell of it.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

11 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

Sorry for being too brief, I'm trying to get all the laundry done before midnight...but on that front, maybe.  It's your concept...I've been giving enough input to @coco1997, I don't have enough brains to think for you too :P  All kidding aside, maybe a new direction would be in order.  Hell, I'd be in favor of a gray version of the pinstripes, just for the hell of it.

If you like road pinstripes for the Cubs, then you'd love these: 

11 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Ok. Do you think I should straight up use the wordmark from the 50's and 60's? It's something I considered early on in the process.

While there's a certain charm to that old wordmark, I think the fact that you inverted the colors on the current "CHICAGO" wordmark to match that old one is good enough. Also, @Carolingian Steamroller just recently used that old wordmark on his Cubs road concept, and I like the idea of yours looking different than his. 

13 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

Haha it's all good. Although I must say, one direction I personally do not want to go in is to add pinstripes on the road. Not only do I normally not like pinstripes on the road, but I also don't think it really fits the Cubs either.

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

If you like road pinstripes for the Cubs, then you'd love these: 

While there's a certain charm to that old wordmark, I think the fact that you inverted the colors on the current "CHICAGO" wordmark to match that old one is good enough. Also, @Carolingian Steamroller just recently used that old wordmark on his Cubs road concept, and I like the idea of yours looking different than his. 

Alright. I'll probably keep it how it is then.

Nice work on the Cubbies. While I don't mind the white-trimmed wordmark and numbers on the current road set (they do match the logos), the route you went looks good and has history with the club. The piping you added to the road and alt looks really nice, and is MUCH needed. My one complaint would be the NL patch on the blue jersey. I don't think anyone likes that thing lol. I'd get rid of it and consider adding the primary logo to the (player's) left sleeve, or even using the primary on the chest and the walking cub on the sleeve.

2 hours ago, mbannon92 said:

Nice work on the Cubbies. While I don't mind the white-trimmed wordmark and numbers on the current road set (they do match the logos), the route you went looks good and has history with the club. The piping you added to the road and alt looks really nice, and is MUCH needed. My one complaint would be the NL patch on the blue jersey. I don't think anyone likes that thing lol. I'd get rid of it and consider adding the primary logo to the (player's) left sleeve, or even using the primary on the chest and the walking cub on the sleeve.

Thank you! And I might take the NL patch off considering the reception it has gotten. And as I said earlier, I don't necessarily like it either, but just thought it was an interesting quirk. But yea, I'm fine with taking it off.

Alright so here is the newest update for the Cubs, and possibly the last:

Chicago Cubs Home.pngChicago Cubs Away.pngChicago Cubs Alternate.png

-Home & Away are the same as you last saw them.

-I took the NL patch off of the alternate and replaced it with the primary logo on the other side. I think it looks pretty good, let me know what you all think.

I should be able to post the White Sox later today!

Well, I have a feeling these might go through some of the most changes of any team, but here are the White Sox:

I've got to start by saying that my favorite White Sox concept ever is by @davidmiller5 in his Combination of Eras series. I don't think I could do something as unique and purely 'White Sox.' That being said, my concept, as much as I tried to find something out-there and unique to do, since this is only a tweak series this falls more on the traditional side than I wanted going in. Anyways, here it goes!

Logos

Chicago White Sox Logos.png

-Primary is slightly modified, the gray has been filled in all the way

-Two caps, same thing with the black background, gray outline has been added.

Uniforms

Chicago White Sox Home.pngChicago White Sox Away.pngChicago White Sox Alternate.png

-I've got to start off by saying that a team named the White Sox need to actually wear white socks.

-Pinstripes have been removed from the home, not because I don't like them, but just to clean things up & create consistency.

I took the dual piping of the road and put that across the whole set, including the socks (which has an unintended side effect of uniting Chicago under dual piping, I'll see what you all think of this.)

-White panel hat with gray brim has been added to the home, & can be worn with the alternate as well (and maybe the road, too, since the white socks could balance it out. Let me know what you think.)

-Diamond sock pattern has been added back to all jerseys.

I'm kind of disappointed in this one, as I wish I could've done something a little bit more out there and 'crazy', but let me know what you all think!

At this point, the White Sox are better...if only for the WHITE socks, cleaner home uni, and the removal of the cap logo on the sleeve (I personally hate that...lookin' at you, Angels). You could try white wordmark and numbers on the road with a thick black outline (or silver and black, you work it out). You could also try really big numbers (that was their thing too, right?). Regardless, you've done a great job.

1 hour ago, Paul Lucas said:

At this point, the White Sox are better...if only for the WHITE socks, cleaner home uni, and the removal of the cap logo on the sleeve (I personally hate that...lookin' at you, Angels). You could try white wordmark and numbers on the road with a thick black outline (or silver and black, you work it out). You could also try really big numbers (that was their thing too, right?). Regardless, you've done a great job.

Thanks. I might try the white wordmark on the road, though I would imagine I'd have to use the white panel cap as well.

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Pretty straight forward. Do you envision using flat-lying stripes or separate, elasticized inserts like the Sox currently use on the roads? Also I'd consider using a black-topped sock for the alternate. 

Yea. I wanted to do something more crazy especially for the White Sox, but I completely drew a blank.

I'd probably imagine elastic stripes like the Sox do have, just because the stripes are thicker than most. I'll try something with black for the socks on the alternate, too.

The Sox look good. Not much changed other than the home set, which is nicely done.

If you want to do something different for the road set, might I suggest using this "Chicago" wordmark? I've always preferred it to the one they've been using since the '90s. Whether or not you use Paul's idea to make the script white, it's something to consider and at the very least it would set your road jersey apart from what they currently wear. 

11 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

The Sox look good. Not much changed other than the home set, which is nicely done.

If you want to do something different for the road set, might I suggest using this "Chicago" wordmark? I've always preferred it to the one they've been using since the '90s. Whether or not you use Paul's idea to make the script white, it's something to consider and at the very least it would set your road jersey apart from what they currently wear. 

I actually had that wordmark in mind when I typed it. With or with the 'white sox,' it would definitely set them apart. And tie in the white socks. 

52 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Here are two looks at the road jersey, one with the current wordmark and one with the one you suggested, as well as a black-topped sock that @Carolingian Steamroller suggested. I tend to shift towards the modern script, but if I went with the old one I might switch to this logo as well for the homes. I know they're not exactly from the same era, but I just love that logo and it would fit with the throwback feel.

Chicago White Sox Away Proposal 1.pngChicago White Sox Away Proposal 2.pngChicago White Sox Alternate Proposal.png

I think that retro script looks great, but ultimately it's your call. White text on a gray uniform could be something unique to the Sox, or you could be traditional and try it with black. 

And for what it's worth, if you ultimately go with the white script, I don't think you necessarily need to use that white front paneled cap. For reference, here's what the '69 Sox road uni looked like, albeit with blue instead of black:

button1_69cws.jpg

13 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I think that retro script looks great, but ultimately it's your call. White text on a gray uniform could be something unique to the Sox, or you could be traditional and try it with black. 

And for what it's worth, if you ultimately go with the white script, I don't think you necessarily need to use that white front paneled cap. For reference, here's what the '69 Sox road uni looked like, albeit with blue instead of black:

button1_69cws.jpg

I do like the white, more than I thought I would in fact. I think, being named the White Sox that they need to emphasize white more.

I do like that script as well, but I've never viewed the modern script as a problem, which is kind of my mindset in this series, to fix things that need it, if that makes sense.

2 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I do like that script as well, but I've never viewed the modern script as a problem, which is kind of my mindset in this series, to fix things that need it, if that makes sense.

Fair enough. Like I said, I prefer the retro script, but ultimately it's your call. I'm flattered that I got you to consider using the white script (be it the retro or current version) at all!

If you do go with the current script in white, though, I would suggest reverting to the solid black cap. 

Alright so here is an update for the Sox:

Chicago White Sox Logos Proposal.pngChicago White Sox Home.pngChicago White Sox Away Proposal 1.pngChicago White Sox Alternate Proposal.png

-Home stays the same

-For the away I decided to keep the modern wordmark, just due to preference, but decided to switch it to white. The black cap has also been added back to the away.

-Alternate has the previously posted black-top socks.

That's it for now, I'm ready to post the Reds whenever you guys are!

Archived