St.Louis using Rams name in the CFL

Tygers09

Can St.Louis use the Rams team name in the CFL? Or would the big bad NFL take legal action against any team using the Rams name like they against Baltimore using the Colts?  Also I'm assuming the franchise can't use the navy & old gold team colors, not to mention any logos resembling what the Ram NFL franchise used, right?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Tygers09 said:

Can St.Louis use the Rams team name in the CFL? Or would the big bad NFL take legal action against any team using the Rams name like they against Baltimore using the Colts?  Also I'm assuming the franchise can't use the navy & old gold team colors, not to mention any logos resembling what the Ram NFL franchise used, right?

I would imagine Goodell's fleet of lawyers would have a field day with that one, let alone Stan Kroenke. Besides they wouldn't let Baltimore use the Colts name during the mid 90s US expansion, so why would they let any football team use the Rams...its a nice theory though

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

Baltimore tried this in the 90's with their CFL team.  They were called the "Colts". Then the "CFL Colts", then the "CFL's", then the "Stallions". Then they became the Montreal Alouettes.

Long story short. It would not work out well for them.

For the record, the CFL team was never named the Baltimore Colts.  They started off as the Baltimore CFL Colts in an (unsuccessful) effort to distinguish themselves from the NFL team.

That said, Webhamster is right  . . . it would not work out well for them.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

17 minutes ago, FGM13 said:

The best thing about the CFL Colts is that (IIRC) when they won their Grey Cup they were known as the "CFL's".

Per Wikipedia:

Just before the start of the 1995 season [the season in which they won the Grey Cup], a name-the-team fan poll was held to decide a new team name. After the team finished the first week of its second season still calling itself "the Baltimore Football Club," the fan poll ended; Speros publicly announced that Baltimore's team would be known as the "Baltimore Stallions".

1 hour ago, FGM13 said:

The best thing about the CFL Colts is that (IIRC) when they won their Grey Cup they were known as the "CFL's".

1 hour ago, officeglenn said:

Per Wikipedia:

Just before the start of the 1995 season [the season in which they won the Grey Cup], a name-the-team fan poll was held to decide a new team name. After the team finished the first week of its second season still calling itself "the Baltimore Football Club," the fan poll ended; Speros publicly announced that Baltimore's team would be known as the "Baltimore Stallions".

Right.  In the 1994 Grey Cup game they were officially "the Baltimore Football Club" (not a bad name!), unofficially the "CFLs".  But they became the Stallions for the 1995 season.

Anyway, there is a team called the "Lions" in both leagues, and nobody complains about that.  So there logically should be no problem with a CFL team called the "Colts" or the "Rams", no matter what city they play in.  Also, there are at least two recently-defunct indoor football teams that were called the "Raiders": the Richmond Raiders of the PIFL and the River City Raiders of the AIF (a league which also had a team called the Columbus Lions).  The NFL never went after them.  It's too bad that a court, in granting the NFL's injunction against the Baltimore CFL Colts, allowed the NFL to bully another league.  (Even though the resulting name "Baltimore Stallions" is a much better name than "Baltimore Colts".)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Same sport in the same city having the same name is the issue. It can easily cause confusion to the casual fan as to what team it is. There is no way the NFL would allow another league to open up shop in a former city of theirs and name themselves after a former team.

2 hours ago, officeglenn said:
47 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Right.  In the 1994 Grey Cup game they were officially "the Baltimore Football Club" (not a bad name!), unofficially the "CFLs".  But they became the Stallions for the 1995 season.

I remember it well.  I still have a Baltimore Stallions t-shirt in my closet.

Stallions was a good name.  However, having been born in 1967 and lived in Maryland all my life (minus college), I'm still partial to Colts (Robert Irsay notwithstanding).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

48 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

I remember it well.  I still have a Baltimore Stallions t-shirt in my closet.

Stallions was a good name.  However, having been born in 1967 and lived in Maryland all my life (minus college), I'm still partial to Colts (Robert Irsay notwithstanding).

I was just in Baltimore on two separate occasions.  The first time (he bragged) was when I rode my bike from New York to Washington; and the second time was just to visit the city and to ride my bike around its streets.  I was pleased to find that, on the site of Memorial Stadium, where the Stallions played, there is a public park with a baseball diamond and football goal posts laid out in the same positions that they were in the old stadium.

Memorial Stadium.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I'd imagine they would have to try and go the Oakland Invaders route (when the Raiders moved to Los Angeles). Similar but not the same. Easier said than done.

St. Louis Bams

St. Louis Hams

St. Louis Cams

St. Louis Dams

or what about after their first football team... St. Louis Red Birds

oakland_invaders_postcard-r0652948fd7ff4

4 minutes ago, fumbler said:

Is this just a wish or might it happen?

Insane LSD-induced delusional hypothetical.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

14 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Insane LSD-induced delusional hypothetical.

Nice day for it.

Would be awesome to see the CFL expand to a 12 team comp though.

If they did want to expand?

Without heading to the US you could slide an extra side into the Toronto Area with Mississauga or Brampton (South Ontario or East Toronto).

London would be another place that could handle a side.

Sudbury has a decent population and far enough away from existing sides.

Halifax for the Atlantic area.

Burnaby-Surrey would take up a spot in the west (East Vancouver or Vancouver Districts)

Vancouver Island could also be a west team.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

Archived