Sign in to follow this  
the admiral

aisle seat on a plane, second-to-last row, and everyone's peeing

KittSmith_95    610

I've never been a plane, but this just scares me even more from flying. Not for being in the air itself, but rather protocol & other people. 

Cosmic    2,477
56 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

I've never been a plane, but this just scares me even more from flying. Not for being in the air itself, but rather protocol & other people. 

It really is an incredible experience.  You should go at least once.  As long as you're not a monster, you'll be able to figure out plane etiquette.

3 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Weird, but this thread is doing nothing but making me want to fly somewhere. I usually prefer road trips, but there's something about flying that's just enjoyable to me.

7 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Whenever I get overly crabby about a flight experience I always try to remind myself that for 99% of history human flight was impossible and traveling outside of your town was also basically impossible and that I'm really fortunate to be able to travel all over the world in a relatively short time. Reminds me I'm lucky and helps me calm down. Still though I can't wait for high speed tube travel.

Despite the problems, air travel always amazes me.  The fact that you can travel 600 MPH six miles in the air in a little tube in complete comfort, and it's a mundane part of life... is borderline unbelievable to me.  I wish I flew more often.

the admiral    9,893

My ears close up so hard when I'm in the air sometimes. Damn near deaf. Doesn't happen every time, sometimes I can pop 'em, other times, I just have a Bose noise-cancelling head.

the admiral    9,893

Thread is missing BlueSky explaining why airline personnel hate it when you take a leak on the plane and then HedleyLamarr calling him a jackass.

crashcarson15    963

:censored: the little 5-foot-4 old people who recline their seat as soon as the plane takes off.

And just general people who recline on flights where sleeping isn’t a thing. If nobody does it, nobody needs to do it! Let my knees enjoy the flight in relative comfort.

If Frontier’s “no-recline” seats weren’t accompanying another decrease in pitch — and if that airline didn’t suck balls like it suddenly decided to stop doing — I’d fly them all the time.

the admiral    9,893
14 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

:censored: the little 5-foot-4 old people who recline their seat as soon as the plane takes off.

Yes!

14 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

where sleeping isn’t a thing.

No!

LMU    3,000
8 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

And just general people who recline on flights where sleeping isn’t a thing. If nobody does it, nobody needs to do it! Let my knees enjoy the flight in relative comfort.

If Frontier’s “no-recline” seats weren’t accompanying another decrease in pitch — and if that airline didn’t suck balls like it suddenly decided to stop doing — I’d fly them all the time.

Exit rows are worth the extra cost since they restrict reclining there...

...unless it's like my flight back to LAX from YYZ where the old guy in front kept trying to recline... into my knees... and proceeded to spend the entire flight fidgeting and driving his weight into my kneecaps.

dfwabel    960

SeatGuru and SeatPlans are your friends

I only really recall two major flight-related situations.

Situation #1: I flew from DFW to Philadelphia for an interview and connected through Atlanta to have my bag (and suit) lost. It was summer, so I flew out in shorts, but I did have a pair of khakis in my carry-on. I called the interviewer upon landing about the situation, she was OK. I called her at home when the carrier said told me it was not on their last flight of the day too. I interviewed in a polo and khakis and didn't get hired. During that summer, they kept the job open and didn't hire anyone for another seven months.

Situation #2: On a Saturday morning, I flew from DFW to Raleigh on a CRJ-200. A one class, 50 seater, which was about 70% full. I was sitting alone in the aisle, but the attendant asked me to move up a row, to the Exit Row, and across the aisle. I did it because I was asked, moved my bag to the other overhead bid and I realized I was one of the last to board. As I look through the cabin, there were seven, morbidly obese people on the plane and a couple of others who were close. Then it clicked in that they were flying to Raleigh to go to the Duke Diet & Fitness Center (aka "Fat Camp"). I just read my book the whole flight.

HedleyLamarr    1,281
20 hours ago, the admiral said:

Thread is missing BlueSky explaining why airline personnel hate it when you take a leak on the plane and then HedleyLamarr calling him a jackass.

I never called him a jackass for plane stuff.

I only called him a jackass the rest of the time.

Mockba    1,204

Window seats used to be the way to go, but now I go for the aisle because the curve of many planes these days makes it super uncomfortable for me to find anywhere to put my head and shoulder.

At 6'5" and 3*coughcough*, flying can be a literal pain (even if I still generally enjoy air travel).  I can't even fathom what LMU goes through.

CS85    5,115

Window seats are still the seat to have, IMHO, because if you want to sleep, you can close that thing up and go night-night.  The secondary battles are for the little air blaster nozzle above the seats and determining armrest protocol.

DG_Now    3,803
2 hours ago, CS85 said:

Window seats are still the seat to have, IMHO, because if you want to sleep, you can close that thing up and go night-night.  The secondary battles are for the little air blaster nozzle above the seats and determining armrest protocol.

I already determined armrest protocol.  Middle seat gets both armrests. They have the :censored:ty seat. They deserve that minor bit of additional comfort.

BringBackTheVet    4,086

There's simply no way that anything but an aisle seat is acceptable. 

a. it's so nice not to have to walk over people to get up when you have to

b. you get out (slightly) faster.

c. (most importantly) your risk of having a large person spilling on to you is decreased by 50%.

d.  you can at least stretch one leg out while the attendants aren't moving the cart through.

I always make sure I "check in" as soon as it's allowed so that I can select my seats and make sure I get an aisle seat.  I just purchased tickets to Japan and Korea (long ass flights) and actually paid a little extra to book direct from the airline rather than priceline/kayak so that I could select the seat right away and not have to wait until 24hrs before the flight.

Last year, on a flight to Stockholm, I was upgraded to Lufthansa's "premium economy" class, which I thought was simply more legroom, but was basically "baller class".  Champagne toast prior to take off, fully reclineable seat, more tv choices (not that I used it), and all other kinds of free goodies and comforts.  Personal attendant service too (a button for beer!)

the admiral    9,893
20 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

(most importantly) your risk of having a large person spilling on to you is decreased by 50%.

I had an aisle seat on my eventual flight back home with the middle seat occupied by a morbidly obese Haitian woman. Then it turned out it wasn't even her seat, she was in 6B but was supposed to be in 6E. The couple that was supposed to be in 6A and 6B only spoke Spanish so she couldn't understand "get your ass and your kid out of our seats." (I couldn't either. I don't speak Spanish. This is conjecture.) I volunteered to the flight attendant to have all three of us go from ABC to DEF, but I was told that I could keep my seat. THANKS. Bad enough I was a wreck from pulling an all-nighter to ride the Subway from Jamaica to Midtown and back, now I could barely sleep on the damn plane because of the large person infringing on my space. It's been two and a half days and I'm still out of sorts from the whole ordeal.

infrared41    3,628

It's worth looking into flying first class. You'd be surprised by the deals you can find. My GF had to fly to Ohio from Florida twice over the past six weeks. She upgraded to first class for 85 bucks on the first trip and 105 bucks on the second. When you're booking the flight, spending an extra 75-150 bucks seems like a lot of money. When you're in the air, that extra 75-150 bucks feels like it's the best money you've ever spent. 

EDIT: Whenever possible, deal directly with the airline. Kayak, Orbitz, etc., might save you a few bucks, but the money you save is not worth what you give up - changing flights, seat selection, upgrades, and so on. 

Anyway, I love flying. Maybe I've been on the travel equivalent of Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak, but of all the flights I've been on in the past 7 or 8 years (probably 50 or so) outside of the occasional delays, I can only think of two flights that weren't enjoyable. The worst was a flight from Detroit to Fort Lauderdale. I was flying Spirit Airlines and I sprung for the "big front seat" which is Spirit's version of first class. (cost me an extra 50 bucks each way) I was seated next to a guy in his mid 60's who had apparently just gone on a date with a woman for the first time in his life. The minute I sat down, he started in about what a great time he and Ellen had while in Fort Lauderdale. About 45 minutes into the flight, he stopped talking long enough for me to quickly throw on my headphones. That shut him up for about ten minutes before he started tapping me on the shoulder and making the universal motion for "take off your headphones."  Thinking I might have missed an important announcement or something, I removed the headphones only to have him ask "Did I tell you about this place in Fort Lauderdale where Ellen and I went to dinner? You should try it." For what felt like the 50th time, I told him that my final destination was Key West. (that got him going on how he and Ellen should go to Key West sometime) Long story short, the guy talked about his adventures with Ellen for the entire 2 hour flight. Honest to God, if someone had offered me a parachute, I would have taken it and jumped out of the plane. 

infrared41    3,628
3 minutes ago, the admiral said:

1qeqNS.gif

Unfortunately, my "Adventures with Ellen" flight was post 9-11. I had to check my sword.

infrared41    3,628
On 8/4/2016 at 1:02 AM, the admiral said:

Ah yes, the BlueSky vs. Hedley wars. Saints - Falcons, the little rivalry that could. 

OMMF    65
On 8/2/2016 at 9:09 PM, DG_Now said:

This is a good point. PreCheck is the best thing in the world and if you have the means ($80) you need to enroll. It sucks when an airport doesn't have PreCheck, but it's amazing -- AMAZING -- when it does. SeaTac is becoming one of the busiest airports in the country, and having the ability to bypass all those chumps is an awesome feeling. 

Save yourself $30 and get a NEXUS card. Gets you into trusted traveler program and side benefit of driving into Canada faster (as long as everyone in the car has NEXUS)

B-Rich    223

Man all this talk about people not going to the bathroom on the plane-- don't any of you youngsters follow the tradition of drinking on the plane? (and by drinking, I mean DRINKING, as in booze)

Maybe it's just me being from New Orleans, where anything and everything is an excuse to drink (Just got off work? Let's have a drink! ...Flying on a plane? Let's have a drink!)

But then again, maybe it's not just a New Orleans thing, maybe it's an older generation thing.  We flew to the Pac Northwest a month ago for vacation, and the wife forgot to get assigned seats for the family.  All four of us wound up in separated seats for that 4 hour flight-- at least the teenage daughters were in same row.  I wound up sitting next to a Seattle periodontist (who had been in New Orleans for a convention); he was about a decade older than me.  Guy actually went to Rice University on a football scholarship, and then was a navy dentist for several years-- really cool guy.  I think he had a few before getting on the plane.  When the drink cart came around, he said "hey, I don't want to drink alone; have one with me; I'm buying."  And he proceeded to buy us TWO drinks each on that first round, as "they were small".  I later bought the second round.  We had a blast the whole trip.  At one point, we both had to go to the bathroom and left our seats at the same time.  On the way back to the restroom, we passed my sleeping wife; us two tipsy idiots then woke her up so I could introduce my new friend.  Wife was not amused.  But that's what she gets for not selecting the seats in advance.