Madden Project: Custom Team Logo Makeovers (UPDATE: Lions 12/29/17)

ZionEagle

Minor issue, but the teeth on the snake don't look correct. Might I suggest moving the shaded tooth on the bottom of the jaw to above the front tooth, if that makes sense.

XcryMwi.png

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, ZionEagle said:

@Weapon XGo to your EA sports folder in the Program 86 folder, navigate into the Madden 08 folder. You should see a folder at the top that says 'CUSTOMART' 

There you'll find five folders, ENDZONE, HELMET, MIDFIELD, MAINLOGO, and SLIVER. To get your logo ingame, you have to put it on the designated dimensions for each folder and make the background pink (FF00FF). You also have to save the file as an 8-bit .bmp. I use paint.net to do it. For the endzone, the dimensions are 1024x256. For the helmet, the dimensions are 512x256, but I take the old helmets and just edit them to get what I want, because it's hard to replicate certain parts of the helmet skin. For the midfield logo, the dimensions are 256x256, the mainlogo file is supposed to be 128x128. I hardly ever use the sliver, so I'm not sure about its dimensions, but if you go to the sliver folder and check the properties and details of an existing file you could find that out. Sorry if this is too complicated to understand, maybe I'll write up a tutorial sometime for you.

Wow thanks that's probably the most understandable description someone's ever gave me.

What a fantastic concept! This is bringing back all the feels of the memories of playing the crap out of Madden 08 franchise mode (which I still own and play).

Loving what you've done so far. Keep it up.

Edit: You can actually see what Madden intended for the names based on the three letter abbreviation on each logo file. Most of your name choices are pretty close, but if I recall, sometimes you could get lucky and have Madden actually broadcast a team nickname instead of just "the HOME team" if you chose correctly.

Minor issue, but the teeth on the snake don't look correct. Might I suggest moving the shaded tooth on the bottom of the jaw to above the front tooth, if that makes sense.

@HRC4Thanks for pointing that out, I do understand what you're saying. I thought it might have been fine, but I wasn't sure so it's great to get a second opinion :) I'm waiting till the end of the series to make adjustments, but I will keep that in mind.

@Weapon XI'm so glad that was helpful to you. If you have any issues, or want me to make the files for you just shoot me a PM.

@SteelmanI appreciate the kind words! Glad to know others are getting the nostalgia feels around here :P I personally play 07 all the time, just started a new franchise mode yesterday. Too bad I can't figure out where the team coding for that is. If I could find it I would totally try to put created teams in the franchise mode.

Yeah, I know about the abbreviations deal, but I couldn't figure out certain abbreviations, so I just didn't bother. Besides, I figured my team names might be more interesting.

Huh, I never knew about that broadcast thing. New thing to try! 

I think I'll go ahead and finish the fourth set and post it soon. Thanks for the feedback and interest guys!

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

We're approaching the halfway part of my project!

Unleashing the Pioneers, Rhinos, Guardians, and Piranhas :D

7hoeSfz.png

I think this group has the most drastic changes out of the ones I've done, so I think I'll explain it in further detail.

-For the pioneers, I derived all three colors from the original logo. This was the hardest one for me to do, as the pose was incredibly awkward and anatomically incorrect. I looked at various references for running people, and tried to replicate a better post, but I'm not completely satisfied with it.

-For the rhinos, I kept the yellow, and made the grey a little more blue for stylistic reasons. I drastically overhauled the shape of the rhino head, as the first wasn't realistic at all. 

-For the Guardians, I made some slight facial changes, and changed the colors.

-For the piranhas, I kept all the original colors, and added a dark green to replace the black. I also attempted to make it look more like a piranha and less like a chaotic fish with an extreme overbite :P

As always, your C&C is appreciated ;)

Brownie points if someone can find an African continental cameo on the rhino!

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

Nice work again! Few thoughts:

Pioneers - I like what you did overall, but feel he's too skinny. The original guy was a little more muscular, which of course is key for football logos.

Rhinos - Love it! Looks great.

Guardians - This is one I believe is actually "Panthers" in-game (iirc). Something I dislike is how small the eyes are on both. I also think you may need to shorten the overall height of the logo as it feels a bit elongated now with the updated mouth. I think the mouth edges also get lost in the logo. Maybe try going back to the original style a bit on the mouth. Like the color changes though.

Piranhas - Love the update. I do think it could be a little more aggressive looking, but overall a massive upgrade!

Keep it up.

15 hours ago, Steelman said:

Nice work again! Few thoughts:

Pioneers - I like what you did overall, but feel he's too skinny. The original guy was a little more muscular, which of course is key for football logos.

Rhinos - Love it! Looks great.

Guardians - This is one I believe is actually "Panthers" in-game (iirc). Something I dislike is how small the eyes are on both. I also think you may need to shorten the overall height of the logo as it feels a bit elongated now with the updated mouth. I think the mouth edges also get lost in the logo. Maybe try going back to the original style a bit on the mouth. Like the color changes though.

Piranhas - Love the update. I do think it could be a little more aggressive looking, but overall a massive upgrade!

Keep it up.

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it.

-Yeah, I think the main problem are his arms in relation to the torso. I'll plan to rework that.

-Thank you! It's certainly my favorite of the bunch.

-That's supposed to be a...panther? I was pretty sure it's a doberman pinscher of some sort (Hence the name Guardians-like guard dogs) And it wouldn't really make sense considering they already have one panther. It doesn't matter though, I'll leave it up to the philosophers to decide :P I do agree it's a bit long, but the only reason I kept it long was to stay true to the original. I think it would be a good idea to go back to the original mouth. 

-Thanks, and I do agree it could use to be more aggressive, although I'm not sure how to pull that off.

Again thanks for the critique.

Any more thoughts before I move on? And has anyone spotted the cameo yet :D ?

Hint: You may need to zoom in near the horn....

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2016 at 8:50 AM, ZionEagle said:

Any more thoughts before I move on? And has anyone spotted the cameo yet :D ?

Hint: You may need to zoom in near the horn....

Nostril. What do I win? :)

Looking forward to the rest of these. I stop by pretty much every day looking for the next batch.

XcryMwi.png

1 hour ago, HRC4 said:

Nostril. What do I win? :)

Looking forward to the rest of these. I stop by pretty much every day looking for the next batch.

Uh.....what do you win? 

A virtual cookie maybe?

Image result for have a cookie meme

In all seriousness though, if you really want a prize I could make a small logo for you.

I'm glad to here that! Sorry I haven't made the next one yet, I've been busy with some other projects.

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, HRC4 said:

Ha. I don't need anything. I was hoping my response would give you the itch to continue on with this series.

I would love to continue, but I'm currently wrapped up with doing things for other people so I don't have much time for my own projects :P I hope to get back to it sometime in the future.

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

• 1 month later...

I played the Nintendo 64 versions of Madden NFL 2001 and Madden NFL 2002 and they had the following fantasy teams:

Pigskin Junction Marshals (stadium is in an abandoned ghost town)

Shadow Gate Monsters (stadium is a castle courtyard and its always raining)

Hoboken Sugar Buzz

Deep Space Comets (stadium is in a space station, whose field is made of steel)

Giza Mummies (stadium is located in the middle of an Egyptian desert)

Motor City Junkyard Dogs (stadium is located in an auto graveyard that has been cleared out for football to be played on, with the field spray-painted onto the gravel)

Lost City Vipers

Big Tent Island Clowns (stadium is located in a very large circus tent)

Industriopolis Industrials (their stadium's field is made of metal)

North Pole Toymakers

Rome Praetorians (stadium is set in ancient Rome)

• 2 weeks later...

This is a wonderful project! I remember only being able to bring myself to use the custom logos that were the closest to "professional grade" (from what I remember, that meant only the Sharks or White Tigers). If Madden had used your versions, the possibilities would be endless.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

4 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

This is a wonderful project! I remember only being able to bring myself to use the custom logos that were the closest to "professional grade" (from what I remember, that meant only the Sharks or White Tigers). If Madden had used your versions, the possibilities would be endless.

Thank you, you don't know how high of a compliment I consider that to be :D Ha, I remember I used to do that too. Do you still have madden? I've actually come up with a way of replacing all of the custom logo files, helmets etc. If you do still have the game, I'd be happy to send you the files :) 

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

For anyone who is curious about the files, I gave them to someone and here's what the logo looks like in action.

2vuk1ux.jpg

wi9ik0.jpg

I personally like the jerseys I made better, but I'm happy someone is using my logos :P 

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

1 hour ago, ZionEagle said:

Thank you, you don't know how high of a compliment I consider that to be :D Ha, I remember I used to do that too. Do you still have madden? I've actually come up with a way of replacing all of the custom logo files, helmets etc. If you do still have the game, I'd be happy to send you the files :) 

Not any version other than 17, not sure if it's possible to do that in the recent versions.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

8 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

Not any version other than 17, not sure if it's possible to do that in the recent versions.

No unfortunately it's not. No clue why EA won't bother with it anymore, the common sentiment is that people want it back.

But on the bright side, you can find Madden 07 or 08 PC for a good price now and days, and it works on my Windows 10 computer as well as it did when I had it on XP.

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

I absolutely love what you're doing here, seeing all of these logos brings back all of the great memories of playing Madden after school using my created teams. Seeing them again also made me realize that many weren't as good as I remember. Your updates do a fantastic job of making these usable, modern marks. I think my favorite is the rhino, I never liked that logo when I played, but you made it into one of the best IMO. 

spacer.png

Archived