MLS Redesign (10/26, SJ Quakes retros added)

kerlonmoura

Hey everyone,

I've been following the forum for a long time, and finally I decided to present you my own kit concepts. I will be designing a home and an away kit for existing and future MLS teams. I won't be following a certain order, but I will be sure that all kits are done. I might also include third kits for some teams. I hope you guys will like the concepts I will be posting :)

So, without further ado, here are the kits for Chicago Fire:

uj9Abvk.png

ci3w7IT.png

On the home kit, I was inspired by the home kit worn between 2000 and 2002. I know it looks like the current one, but I think that the navy stripe on the bottom completes the look. The cuffs and the socks were also designed to be consistent with the stripes on the middle.

I wanted to integrate Chicago's flag into the away kit, so I was inspired by the away kit Uruguay wore in this year's Copa America. But, then I realized that if a player tucked in his shirt, the flag wouldn't be seen completely. So, I decided to do what Everton did with their home kit last season, and made the top portion of the shorts white and raised the flag a little bit to ensure that all players on the pitch have the same look.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like your template. I like the designs, for the home kit the navy bar could maybe be thicker so that it is more noticeable, and for the away kit I would suggest white shorts and moving the flag design to the top part of the chest. Really good designs overall

On 8/8/2016 at 10:07 AM, Aggie12 said:

I really like your template. I like the designs, for the home kit the navy bar could maybe be thicker so that it is more noticeable, and for the away kit I would suggest white shorts and moving the flag design to the top part of the chest. Really good designs overall

Thanks, glad you liked them, I will be posting the tweaked versions of the kits soon. Making the navy bar thicker is a good idea; but, on the away kit, I had a hard time figuring out where to place the flag on the top part of the chest without interrupting it :/ Where exactly would you like me to put the flag design on the away kit?

Now, moving on to NYCFC:

r2KZbR6.png

zPjPdvC.png

I heard that NYCFC fans were disappointed with their home kit thinking that they looked like a Man City clone, so I wanted to differentiate their look to make the fans feel like this is their own team while not deviating sharply from the colours and the kits they use. Therefore, I went with orange socks, so that the kit looks like it is somewhat mimicking the city's flag. I also used very thin pinstripes that become darker on the bottom part of the kit, forming the New York City skyline to give the kit an identity, as well as a subtle reference to NYCFC's affiliation with the Yankees.

On the away kit, I was originally going to go with pinstripes without the baseball collar, but the kit looked very bland and it felt like something was missing. I also wanted to do something different and have always liked the shape of baseball collars, so I used the collar to complete the look and to refer once again to NYCFC's association with the Yankees.

I think these kits turned out well, hope you guys like them :)

Nycfc looks good again I think the skyline should be moved up above the ad, yes sometimes the patches will cover it up but that's natural. I like the idea of orange socks for the home kit and I think the away kit overall is good.

for the Chicago away kit I would have in line with the team logo, just make the stars smaller so that they aren't covered up

3 minutes ago, timberwolf said:

Love NYC. Very intrigued to see what my beloved Toronto will recieve. As a little tip, I really enjoyed their current road uniforms (maybe an unpopular opinion).

i second that about the Toronto away kit, I think its a cool almost throwbackish sort of kit

Thanks for all your comments guys, I really appreciate them :)

@Aggie12; I also thought of doing that, but the main reason I put the silhouette on the middle of the kit was to make the change of colors of the pinstripes more noticeable. Though, as I said earlier I will be posting another version probably on Saturday.

@timberwolf, I haven't thought of what to do for Toronto FC's kits yet, but I will consider what you have said while making the kits.

Here are the kits for NYRB:

6GIzKts.png

5JAXVCn.png

On the RBNY kits, I always thought of the Red Bull logo more as a design aspect rather than a sponsor (something similar to what UNAM Pumas do with their kits). The kits I have done are two different applications of the Red Bull logo as a design aspect. The home kit is more classic looking, while the away kit is more modern. I hope you guys like them :)

Thanks for the comments, glad you guys are liking the kits :)

Today's team is New England Revolution, here are their designs:

Sh4Sxf7.png

dUvzy6K.png

On the home kit, I was inspired by the uniforms of the Revolutionary War soldiers. Even though the sponsor is getting in the way, I tried to adapt the design to Adidas' template, especially with the red part on the top extending from the collar. I wasn't too sure about the design, but I wanted to do something different and am satisfied about how it turned out.

On the away kit, I was inspired by the flag of New England during the Revolutionary war, and tried to preserve the color balance of the flag in the kit by making the shirt red, the shorts white, and the socks green. I decided to use a laced collar and made the pine slightly larger on the shirt to give the kit a more of a retro touch.

I actually did the away kit first and included the pine as the kit was a reference to the flag. Then, while making the home kit, I decided to keep the logo as it didn't look too bad on it. I haven't done a redesign of their logo, but they certainly do need it.

I like both of New England's kits, really like the collar on the away kit, my only suggestions would be for the home kit taking out the red that extends from the collar down, I realize what its based off but I think you could still have a cleaner look with a revolutionary vibe and then on the away kit maybe give the pine tree on the chest a white outline to help distinguish it more, I would leave the collar on the home kit red to help with the look, overall good job on both

• 3 weeks later...

After a little break, I'm back with another concept. Up next is Columbus Crew, I hope you guys like the kits:

MuFnyBt.png

Eo8olzZ.png

yPq6Q2V.png

I don't like how the Columbus Crew decided to use black kits as their home kit while ditching the yellow kit. I brought back the yellow home kit with a twist. I introduced white shorts and red socks inspired by the flag of Columbus, just like how national teams use their flag colors in their kits (like France and Mexico). In the kit itself, I tried to keep it simple and used the patterns in the team crest. I tried to align the split in the stripes and the checkerboard pattern on the kit with the split in the crest. The home kit with their usual kit combination is also attached below in the spoiler:

Spoiler

feMpIPY.png

On the away kit, I was actually going to go with the more classical kit posted below, but I thought that the way I applied the designs was a bit similar to the home kit. So, I decided to do something different. I know it isn't perfect but I think it's unique using the elements in the logo in a different way.

Spoiler

NXEIkQ2.png

Even though the home kit is a nod to the Columbus flag, I wanted to redesign their current away kit. The kit has too many things going on, so I decided to simplify it while keeping the design they used with the lines. I was inspired by both France's away kit at EURO 2016 and @Atom's Columbus Crew retro concept. The seal of Columbus is also present inside the roundel of the logos on the kit.

For Columbus, a few suggestions:

home kit- I like the tri color kit and I think it's a new look that could work for Columbus, but I think with the split patterns on the shirt it's to much, I would ditch the diagonal lines and just have the checkerboard 

away kit- again I like the look and think it's a new take, I definitely like the one with the green as opposed to the more classic one because I think the details on the sleeves are more subtle, but maybe change out the lime green for a Highlighter yellow

third kit- I would take out the stripe gradient part and just have the sleeves be red and yellow and maybe make the collar split red and yellow

Archived