Relocation and Branding

kw11333

18 hours ago, 2001mark said:

This thread makes me think of the Arizona Coyotes wrapping their arms around Winnipeg Jets lore, meanwhile in Winnipeg, I'm fairly certain not a one Manitoban would care if Ilya Kovalchuk was invited to drop a ceremonial face off puck or not.  

The Coyotes have all the former Jets retired numbers in their rafters.  The current Winnipeg Jets last season began a Winnipeg Jets HOF, starting with the Hull-Hedberg-Nilsson line.

The Jets' retired numbers should have come over with the logos and trademarks. Given how much Coyotes fans have come to hate Jets fans (why wouldn't they? we wanted their team back), I think they'd be perfectly happy to let it go.

The only people who care about Kovalchuk vis-a-vis the Jets are internet hockey writers who hang out on Twitter.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Due to 60 years of football futility, I recommend the Detroit Lions re-brand themselves as the Michigan Panthers.  Yes, those awesome USFL Michigan Panthers - 1983 USFL Champs!  It keeps the "cat" theme in Motown,and revives, what was one of the best football uniforms ever.  

1983_Michigan.png

1 hour ago, Proc said:

Due to 60 years of football futility, I recommend the Detroit Lions re-brand themselves as the Michigan Panthers.  Yes, those awesome USFL Michigan Panthers - 1983 USFL Champs!  It keeps the "cat" theme in Motown,and revives, what was one of the best football uniforms ever.  

1983_Michigan.png

Due to 60 years of football futility, I recommend the Detroit Lions relocate to Los Angeles.  Detroit receives an expansion team in 2017-18, who will most likely accomplish more in the next 5 seasons than the Lions have in their entire existence.

sig.png

1 hour ago, Proc said:

1983_Michigan.png

It would mean almost coming full circle back to . . . 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_(1920s_NFL_teams)#Detroit_Panthers

Oh, yeah . . . I absolutely love those uniforms.  Especially the helmet.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

2 hours ago, Proc said:

1983_Michigan.png

Would we have a Saskatchewan/Ottawa situation with two teams sharing the same nickname? I think there's a team in Charlotte already called the Panthers.

39 minutes ago, smzimbabwe said:
3 hours ago, Proc said:

1983_Michigan.png

Would we have a Saskatchewan/Ottawa situation with two teams sharing the same nickname? I think there's a team in Charlotte already called the Panthers.

The Michigan team would be the Pan Thers.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• 1 month later...

While I've never been a resident of Baltimore or Indianapolis, I love all of the Colts history, the championship Baltimore history (before I was alive) much more because of NFL films, all four super bowls in Miami! lost both in blue, both times they wore white they won, and missed an extra point on the first touchdown both times!  To take away the glorious history of the Colts pre-1984, would be like the Dodgers not being able to claim Jackie Robinson, since he never played for the Los Angeles Dodgers. 

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Coltsfootball2016 said:

While I've never been a resident of Baltimore or Indianapolis, I love all of the Colts history, the championship Baltimore history (before I was alive) much more because of NFL films, all four super bowls in Miami! lost both in blue, both times they wore white they won, and missed an extra point on the first touchdown both times!  To take away the glorious history of the Colts pre-1984, would be like the Dodgers not being able to claim Jackie Robinson, since he never played for the Los Angeles Dodgers. 

Even though there is all of that history in Baltimore, they've been in Indy longer than they were in Baltimore now.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

With the Browns-Ravens deal, one thing I thought of is had all the players from the 1995 Browns been put up in a dispersal draft and the Baltimore team had to do an expansion draft for 1996 and then the new Browns start up again in 1999 as they did, would that have been considered a cleaner link to the Cleveland Browns being the same franchise with a suspended three years being more legit even though the 1995 Browns and 1996 Ravens would still have had the same ownership as there have been other times where ownership goes from one franchise to another, although the Hornets situation is silly to retroactivley alter history, would have been like them playing a decade as the Baltimire Browns, having sat the Cleveland Spiders and then changung things also in some cases old players want nothing to do with the team in their new city, very few if any old Baltimore Colts have associated with the team in Indy, same with old Sonics in Oklahoma City so in those instances keeping the name and history is really only for the books and doesn't feel as much like the sane team, it would have been nice had the Colts name stayed behind but the move was made in late March ai there was probably not enough time to get a new name and logo and uniforms made for the season although I recall Model approaching Irssay about letting them have the Colts name back and he basically asked for like some crazy amount of money 30 million or so and settled on Ravens

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 0:49 PM, Proc said:

1983_Michigan.png

"One of" Try, the best football helmet and the best uniform ever.

Everyone loves a roundel.

On 1/13/2017 at 9:49 AM, Proc said:

1983_Michigan.png

Those helmets are pretty great.

Archived