NHL Combination of Eras (BONUS: Whale-canes)

TheLAKnight

Two years ago, I posted a combination of eras set for the LA Kings. At the time, I thought about doing the same for every team. I revisited my original designs and now have sets for all 30 teams. With each post I will be posting a description of what elements are from which jersey sets. My only rule with these is that no new elements could be added. Things could be mixed together, but you won't see unused colors or striping patterns added. Alternates will be coming later and will be added to each team's main post. 

Also, special thanks to Steven Grant for the new Combo Template!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Up first, the updated Kings set.

The crest is combines the shape of the early alternate logos (1967-75) and the current primary (2010-present) with the colors of the Gretzky logo (1988-98) and the original crown (1967-88).

LAKings Logo 1.png

The set follows the design of the Kings' Gretzky and current eras with "forum blue" added making the color scheme more reminiscent of the team's early 2000's sets. Other details include:

• original pants stripe + Gretzky stripes + logo
  • current number font + Gretzky colors
  • two-tone collar (1988-2013)
  • wordmark on helmet (1988-2007, 2010-present)

LAKings Set 1.png

C+C always appreciated. For now, I'll go division by division starting with the Pacific. So, Anaheim up tomorrow!

Up next, the Anaheim Ducks looking more mighty than they've looked in a while.

The primary logo combines their Mighty Ducks logo with a simplified version of the current duck foot logo. The sticks are now orange like the updated Mighty Ducks logo used on their alternate jersey. Not sure how well it works overall, but I didn't want to just use the original. The secondary logo mixes the original and current shoulder patches.

Anaheim Logo 1.pngAnaheim Logo 2.png

The jerseys are primarily based on their uniforms from 1993-2006, however, gold has been added and the angled hem is flipped as it is in they Cup winning set. The actual pattern of the stripes in from their newest set (O-Bl-W-G-Bl-O where orange and black are replaced by teal and eggplant). Other details include:

• single pant stripe (2006-present)
  • wishbone collar, number font, and helmet logo (2006-2010)
  • sock stripes (1993-2006, 2013-present) <-- I hadn't realized until working on this that the current home socks mimic the original design.

Anaheim Set 1.png

At first glance, the logo looked a little hodgepodge but the more I looked at it, it's executed perfectly. Just a suggestion: How would it look if you swapped gold with orange? These are really great though

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

2 hours ago, Bruins said:

At first glance, the logo looked a little hodgepodge but the more I looked at it, it's executed perfectly. Just a suggestion: How would it look if you swapped gold with orange? These are really great though

I won't change it on the jerseys because they've never worn the foot in orange, but here's what it looks like.

Anaheim Bonus Logo.png

Without further ado, we move to Arizona!

I couldn't decide which logo to use since their current logo had been around longer than their original. Instead of recoloring the old head, I recolored the current. The updated AZ shoulder patch remains.

Arizona Logo 1.png

For the jerseys, I kept brick red as the base color as that's what will be around for the foreseeable future. Striping combines the kachina pattern and black cuffs with the tri-stripe (especially noticeable on the home). The yoke on the road and single shoulder patch (on the left - 2003-07) also come from the latter set. Other details include:

• solid black pants (1996-2003, 2015-present)
  • no white on home jersey (2003-2015) / no sand on road jersey (2003-present)
  • newest number font 
  • EDIT: forgot to mention, moon patch appears on the pants (2003-15), but on left leg (1996-2003)

Arizona Set 1.png

Let me know if you prefer this choice of logo or if the older head would look better. Or any other changes that could be made.

Not sure colouring the logo 'Sienna' is necessary but I love the subtle use of hunter green.  The simplified 'Kachina' striping works nicely as well.  If 'Sienna' is to be kept, it needs to be worked into the striping because right now it looks like it doesn't fit.

You did a perfect job of blending the eras here and I don't see a problem w/ the color on this logo because I think it makes it stand out. The home jersey would do a perfect job filling in their empty third jersey slot but the green blends in on the away jersey and so the colors seem bland. But overall really good work

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

Arizona looks great. I've never been a fan of their AZ logo on the home set, I think it would make more sense and look better to use the paw logo.

I also hate the single shoulder patch look, but that's just personal taste.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

8 hours ago, PackMan said:

Interesting. My Red Wings would be pretty much impossible to make because we've used the same jersey forever now. :lol:

Very minor changes. Only 1 other team had fewer changes.

4 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Arizona looks great. I've never been a fan of their AZ logo on the home set, I think it would make more sense and look better to use the paw logo.

I also hate the single shoulder patch look, but that's just personal taste.

Ya, it's a bit clunky but versions of it have been used more than the paw logo (which I personally love). Might go back and tweak their set at a later date.

Our first foray into Canada takes us to Calgary. No need to post the logos here as they're the ones used from 1995-2000 or longer in the case of the red C. Most of the set's design focused on how best to use the white C. As of now, it's existence trumps that of the black C (20 years vs 13+).

The basic stripes are from the team's original set with the thinner red stripes recolored black. The cuffs and hem are taken from their 2000's set which carries on to the present. I'm not exactly sold on the away, but I'm not sure what other design would work better. Some of the smaller inclusions are:

• original pant stripe + black pants + white C
  • current tie-down collars
  • current number font, but white on home (1995-2000)

Calgary Set 1.png

9 minutes ago, ldconcepts said:

Well done. Only the non-filled sock bottoms bug me, the set would be perfect if they matched the striping.

1 hour ago, TheLAKnight said:

Our first foray into Canada takes us to Calgary. No need to post the logos here as they're the ones used from 1995-2000 or longer in the case of the red C. Most of the set's design focused on how best to use the white C. As of now, it's existence trumps that of the black C (20 years vs 13+).

The basic stripes are from the team's original set with the thinner red stripes recolored black. The cuffs and hem are taken from their 2000's set which carries on to the present. I'm not exactly sold on the away, but I'm not sure what other design would work better. Some of the smaller inclusions are:

• original pant stripe + black pants + white C
  • current tie-down collars
  • current number font, but white on home (1995-2000)

Calgary Set 1.png

Awesome Calgary set. This is what they should be wearing.

Calgary looks great, though the white logo feels like it'll take a tad to get used to. Great work, they should avsolutely be wearing these.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived