NHL Combination of Eras (BONUS: Whale-canes)

TheLAKnight

Not a very flashy set, but here come the Oilers.

The primary logo is the same as it always has been, but the extra outline comes from their late '90s-2000s logo.

Edmonton Logo 1.png

The color scheme remains as it is, but the design is more reminiscent of the set from which the aforementioned logo came from; basically there's no shoulder yoke. I also left off the orange cuffs on the home jersey. All of the "other details" come from the team's short-lived EDGE cut: single color collar, helmet workmark, regular pant stripe (+ colors from current set). Some changes may be made, but many unused aspects will be used in the alternate jersey.  

Edmonton Set 1.png

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Beautiful!  That looks so much better than the current look it's almost a shame.  Wish you had included an orange and navy version of the "Rig Worker" though.

I didn't want it to look too much like a straight recolor of the 2000's set and it was a relatively short lived so I left it out.

Here's what it would look like if I added it though.

Edmonton Logo 2.png 

Heading back to California, we take a look at the Sharks.

The basis for this logo is making the current logo look more like the original one. The shark is now all black as it was previously, and gray replaces orange in the triangle. The secondary logo combines the round, gray fin logo with the diamond, black fin. Now the fin matches the shark in the primary without having orange and a gradient next to it.

San Jose Logo 1.png

San Jose Logo 3.png

The shoulder yokes are brought back from their EDGE cut as it also goes back to the previous set (little bit of a stretch). The current striping is used but somewhat thicker and with gray replacing orange, so basically the original stripes crossed with the current. The bottom stripe continuing down to the hem also comes from that first set. Other details include: 

• number font (1998-2007)
  • wordmark on helmets (1997-2001)
  • solid black pants (1997-present) with secondary logo (1998-2007)

San Jose Set 1.png

Kings- Very sharp set, even though I'm not the hugest fan of the logo used.

Ducks- Wow..... that's actually a very effective set. I'm speechless.

Yotes- This is what they should be wearing. Either Hunter Green or Purple should be used by the Yotes... the only change I'd make is to bring back the Moon Patch (The patch itself had many incarnations, and it's a very nice logo.)

Calgary- The socks bugged me at 1st, but everything else is perfect. The White C logo is what should be used by the team.

Edmonton- Nice & Clean. I will admit the shoulders feel bare though. Either the Rig Worker logo or a variation of the shoulder patch used on the Navy & Grey alts would work great here. Also, did you try using Orange & Copper together?

Sharks- I like the striping used and the shoulder patch, but the tweaks made to the primary don't work for me. Also, I'd love to see the "SJ" logo used somewhere.

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

18 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Kings- Very sharp set, even though I'm not the hugest fan of the logo used.

Ducks- Wow..... that's actually a very effective set. I'm speechless.

Yotes- This is what they should be wearing. Either Hunter Green or Purple should be used by the Yotes... the only change I'd make is to bring back the Moon Patch (The patch itself had many incarnations, and it's a very nice logo.)

Calgary- The socks bugged me at 1st, but everything else is perfect. The White C logo is what should be used by the team.

Edmonton- Nice & Clean. I will admit the shoulders feel bare though. Either the Rig Worker logo or a variation of the shoulder patch used on the Navy & Grey alts would work great here. Also, did you try using Orange & Copper together?

Sharks- I like the striping used and the shoulder patch, but the tweaks made to the primary don't work for me. Also, I'd love to see the "SJ" logo used somewhere.

AZ - The Moon Patch is used, it's just cut off on the left pant leg. I edited the original post to address this.

CGY - Surprisingly, they've only ever worn socks with thick stripes. Even with their 2000-07 set, the primary color is at the bottom.

Flames socks.jpg

EDM - I may revisit them because it does look too bare the more that I look at it. Once I post the alternate, I'll see what changes can be done to both. I did not try orange and copper because I thought they would be too close together.

SJ - The hardest and most off-putting change to the logo IMO is the eye. The original was just the outline, but the new one is orange. Keeping it orange or filling it in may be the best course of action. Which of these would work better?

San Jose Logos.png

I actually enjoy the white eye version on the left you just posted.

I've got an odd suggestion for Edmonton: How about Silver (Used as very minimal trim) & Orange?

BTW, just to clarify, this was the shoulder patch I was talking about:

85.png

I always felt the bottom half of this logo (The Gear & Drop Logo) could work as either a primary or a great shoulder patch. Just something to keep in mind.

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

1 hour ago, KittSmith_95 said:

I actually enjoy the white eye version on the left you just posted.

I've got an odd suggestion for Edmonton: How about Silver (Used as very minimal trim) & Orange?

BTW, just to clarify, this was the shoulder patch I was talking about:

85.png

I always felt the bottom half of this logo (The Gear & Drop Logo) could work as either a primary or a great shoulder patch. Just something to keep in mind.

I'll see how the copper or silver works. Might post it as a bonus set so it doesn't have to the same criteria as the combination sets. 

Also, be on the lookout for another series from me sometime (hopefully) soon. Spoiler: the gear is the primary for an Oilers set.

We finish the Pacific division with probably the strangest design. Vancouver was the trickiest team to tackle because they've had 3 distinct color schemes which don't feature much crossover. Figuring out which colors to incorporate took several attempts. Around the time of my original Kings post from a few years ago, I attempted to use navy, red, and yellow with the Orca logo as the primary. When I came back to this, I tried that color scheme, then one with green instead of yellow which resulted in a muddled mess. One of the ways that the Canucks separate themselves from the rest of the blue teams is by using green, so I wanted to keep that around. Navy is used instead of royal blue because it works as a medium between blue and black. I could have gone with just those 2 colors and white, but so many of their sets use more than 3 colors and white was hardly used on the dark jerseys (1978-89, dark only 1989-97 & 1997-2007). Yellow was the best choice as it brightened up the set.

The logo choice was also difficult. As of next season, the Orca logo(s) will become the longest serving primary (20 years), surpassing the skate logo (19 counting the V jerseys). However, the stick in rink logo has also existed in one form or another for 20 years. I may end up doing a multitude of varying sets in or to try out other crests, but for now the primary stands as a recolored stick in rink with a secondary recolored skate.

Vancouver Logo 3.png

Vancouver Logo 5.png   

For the jerseys, I followed the design of the '90s set with 2 colored stripes and no white. The white jersey also follows the jersey from that time, but the bottom stripe extends to the cuff as it does in the early and current sets. The primary changes changes to white on the home jersey as it does on the 2 aforementioned sets. The secondary appears on the shoulders, reminiscent of the V jerseys. Other details include:

• current number font with outline
  • small double V on pants (1978-89, closer in size to 1985-89)

Vancouver Set 1.png 

3 hours ago, TheLAKnight said:

Vancouver Logo 3.png

Canucks look good. So do all of the teams.

My favorite part of this logo is that little blue pixel in the center area.

Jk, but the logo does look nice and I like the addition of yellow, makes it pop with the green.

"This is our f*****g city. And nobody is going to dictate our freedom. Stay strong."—David Ortiz 

#34ever

Instead of moving on to another division (which division do you want to see next?), I finished the alternates for the Pacific division teams. These sets incorporate elements which I could not fit into the home and road jerseys as well as elements taken from other 3rd jerseys that the teams have worn over the years. Some of these ended up more unorthodox because of this. C+C are really appreciated on these.

Anaheim

Logos: The Ducks wordmark with eggplant replacing black is used as it was a primary logo and their first black jersey used a script logo. Shoulder Logo (OC) reminiscent of MD patch.

Jersey Set: The Ducks have worn a black jersey every season since 2003, so the color choice was easy. The curved arm stripes from the team's 2006-14 and current sets. The hem combines the bottoms of both of these sets with the eggplant striping from their . The helmet carries over from home set also reminiscent of 2003 alternate. Socks mix regular 2006 and alternate 1998-2000 looks. Numbers also come from 1998-2000 alternates.

Anaheim Alt Set 1.png 

Arizona

Logos: Crest is the same as it was originally. New shoulder patch combines the moonroundel, and new pawprint logos. The old script is on the pants.

Jersey Set: The green shoulders and overall design comes from the team's original set. The ends of the sleeve angle upwards as the they do on the team's green and black alternates. The latter also contributes the side panels, regular home helmet, and sock stripe. The pants stripe comes from regular pants used in that same set.

Arizona Alt Set 1.png 

Calgary

Logos: The wordmark is recolored from the team's current alternate and the flaming horse resides on the shoulders.

Jersey Set: The style of the shoulder yoke comes from the above alternate, but the base color and angled stripes come from their only black jersey.

Calgary Alt Set 1.png

Edmonton

Logo: The same logo carries over from the home and road jerseys.

Jersey Set: Most of the design comes from the team's current throwback (orange, blue shoulders, numbers inside yoke), however, the coloring of the stripes with white in the middle and the number font comes from the oil drop alternate.

Edmonton Alt Set 1.png

Los Angeles

Logo: The recolored crown from the new primary is used as the crest. The primary does appear on the shoulders.

Jersey Set: I went through many designs before settling on this one. The main inspiration was the team's purple alternate which explains the lack of white in the striping. The 3 stripe pattern is used instead of the 5 stripes to better incorporate the Gretzky era look. The purple pants and helmet call back to the early days of the club, including the use of a second pair of pants.

LAKings Alt Set 1.png

San Jose  

Logos: Much like the primary, the crest is a recolored version of the team's current full bodied shark. The shoulder logo combines the SJ patch with the fin logo from the main set.

Jersey Set: The Sharks have worn two black jerseys in their existence. Take the current version, angle the stripes like the previous, and *boom* new alternate. The helmet and pants carry over from the primary set.

San Jose Alt Set 1.png

Vancouver

Logos: The recolored skate logo from the home and road jersey becomes the crest. To add another logo to the mix, I added the Millionaires V to the helmet.

Jersey Set: Much like the primary set, this one is a little more out there. Only the Kings and Bruins have worn gold jerseys longer than the Canucks and their one of only 3 teams to have used a gradient on a jersey (twice!). The ends of the sleeves and simple sock design come from the first of these while the shoulders come from the second jersey.

Vancouver Alt Set 1.png 

So there are all of the 3rd jerseys for the Pacific division. Some changes may be made to them if people post ideas or suggestions, otherwise I'll be moving on to the next division: the Metro!

1 hour ago, worcat said:

I'd swap the gradient from navy to yellow so the bottom is navy and could blend into the pants and gloves.

Like this or even deeper near the ends?

Vancouver Alt Set 2.png

1 hour ago, New York's Greatest said:

Love the Canucks and the Coyotes alt...I would've wanted to see the Oilers alt logo on the alt but that's just me

Here's what that would look like. I also tried it with an orange oil drop, but it didn't look as good.

Edmonton Alt Set 2.png

35 minutes ago, TheLAKnight said:

Like this or even deeper near the ends?

Vancouver Alt Set 2.png

Here's what that would look like. I also tried it with an orange oil drop, but it didn't look as good.

Edmonton Alt Set 2.png

The Oil Drop looks really good this way...also with Canucks...I personally like both versions of the alt

Archived