Fun With Flags!!!!

Sport

Apologies if this is already a thread, but watching the Olympics, especially during the Parade of Nations I like to take note of the different flags. 

Speaking from a strictly design perspective here are my favorite non-USA flags: 

Bahrain

bahrain_640.png

Jamaica

Jamaica-Flag.jpg

Bahamas

BahamasFlagPicture1.png

japan-flag.gif

IMG_5851_2lowres.jpg

Cameroon

cameroon_flag_printables_av2.jpg

Sweden

swedenflagimage3.png

What are some of your favorites?

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

I remember the first time I saw Jamaica's flag when I was a kid.  I immediately thought it was great; and I have not changed that position.  Also, Canada's flag is a marvel of simplicty.  It is striking, and one of the best in the world.

I have a rather strong ideological thing against nationalism; so national flags (even the aestheticallly attractive ones) kind of rub me the wrong way.  I love city flags, however. My bicycle helmet has the flag of New York City atop it, with decals for the flags of Philadelphia and Washington.

AnmAnu1.jpg

My favourite flag, however, is my own personal flag:

gSFh1BC.jpg

It incorporates the blue and orange from the New York City flag, the green star of Esperanto, and the red that is symbolic of the working class.

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Damn! I was just about to start a thread like this.

Maybe it's because I'm from Colorado, but I love the Colorado flag and Denver's flag.2000px-Flag_of_Colorado.svg.png

2000px-Flag_of_Denver_Colorado.svg_.png

Another Colorado flag I'm on the fence on is the City of Loveland's flag. It's unique and has a good idea behind it, but it's too far out for me to really like.

us-co-ll.gif

I also redesigned Longmont, Colorado's flag for the hell of it. Here's that.

59166f4f757fa_NewFlag.thumb.png.81a7558e554df6cc0cf27753de4bc014.png

USA! USA! USA! USA!

o-AMERICAN-FLAG-facebook.jpg

Seriously though, besides the stars & stripes, for some reason, I've always like Great Britain's Union Jack:

union-jack-flag-std.jpg

I'm also a fan of the state flag of Tennessee:

2000px-Flag_of_Tennessee.svg.png

• Like 2

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

No home-state bias, I really like South Carolina's flag. I think the simplicity of the flag while still using the palmetto tree as a state symbol is timeless and clever. 

image.png

But my favorite has to be Papua New Guinea. I love the color scheme, and the use of a bird-of-paradise is creative for a relatively unknown nation. 

image.png

• Like 1

On 8/15/2016 at 7:06 PM, rob4671 said:

I've personally have always liked the look of Estonia's flag. Simple design with great color combination. Estonia Flag.jpg

This flag is vexillologically unsound. Two colours that are not white or yellow should not abut one another without a strip of white or yellow (a "metal") between them.

The flags of Russia and Armenia are other notorious violators of this design principle which should be obvious.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2016 at 7:59 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

This flag is vexillologically unsound. Two colours that are not white or yellow should nor abut one another without a strip of white or yellow (a "metal") between them.

The flags of Russia and Armenia are other notorious violators of this design principle which should be obvious.

welp, cancel Armenia

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Top State Flags:

1.300px-Flag_of_Oklahoma.svg.png

2.300px-Flag_of_Texas.svg.png

3.300px-Flag_of_New_Mexico.svg.png

4.Flag_of_Arizona.svg.png

5.334px-Flag_of_Tennessee.svg.png

Top Country Flags:

1.Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png

2.Flag_of_Canada.svg.png

3.Flag_of_Norway.svg.png

4.400px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png

5.Flag_of_Italy.svg.png

The Oklahoma flag is disqualified for its prominent use of text.  If text is going to appear on a flag, then it should be small and tasteful, as on the flag of New York City's borough of Queens (seen in my sig):

us-ny-q.gif

...not big and gaudy, as seen in that Oklahoma flag and in the flag of New York City's worst borough:

Ny-statenisland.gif

Also, the U.S. flag is a mess from a design standpoint.  Placing it next to a superbly-designed flag such as Canada's only underscores how horrid it is.

The Union Jack is not much better.  It gets points for clever combining of multiple symbols: the St. George's cross for England, the St. Andrew's cross for Scotland, the St. Patrick's cross for Ireland (now representing Northern Ireland).  But the finished product is visually jarring when considered dispassionately.  We're just used to it (which is also why we tend not to notice the awkwardness of the U.S. flag).  

On top of this, the Union Jack is hard to draw correctly.  One often sees depictions with the St. Patrick's cross (the red X) centred in the St. Andrew's cross (the white X) rather than offset in a counterclockwise (or, as the Brits themselves would say, "anticlockwise") direction, sort of like this:

british-flag.png