Fun With Flags!!!!

Sport

This all makes me so sad about how bad both my city and state flags are terrible. (Billings, Montana.)

Interesting thing - there is no official color of blue for Montana's seal on a bed sheet flag. Yet the word MONTANA is specified to be in Helvetica Bold by law.

My dad didn't understand my distaste for the MT flag. I drove him down the street in Red Lodge (they display flags from all over up and down their main drag) and asked him to tell me which was the Montana flag. It was then he realized there are at least four or five others that are identical unless the flag is totally unfurled. Then he mentioned he was in the Legislature when they made the flag stand out more by requiring MONTANA be on it in all-caps Helvetica Bold in gold (yellow.)

I asked him what ANATNOM was. He understood what I meant when he saw the flag from the back.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, webdav said:

This all makes me so sad about how bad both my city and state flags are terrible. (Billings, Montana.)

Interesting thing - there is no official color of blue for Montana's seal on a bed sheet flag. Yet the word MONTANA is specified to be in Helvetica Bold by law.

My dad didn't understand my distaste for the MT flag. I drove him down the street in Red Lodge (they display flags from all over up and down their main drag) and asked him to tell me which was the Montana flag. It was then he realized there are at least four or five others that are identical unless the flag is totally unfurled. Then he mentioned he was in the Legislature when they made the flag stand out more by requiring MONTANA be on it in all-caps Helvetica Bold in gold (yellow.)

I asked him what ANATNOM was. He understood what I meant when he saw the flag from the back.

That's fascinating, that the blue can be any blue (technically) but MONTANA needs to be Helvetica?

Mostly unrelated, but your father was a state legislator? I'm a big fan of more local politics.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2017 at 0:04 PM, Big Yellow Flag said:

That's fascinating, that the blue can be any blue (technically) but MONTANA needs to be Helvetica?

Mostly unrelated, but your father was a state legislator? I'm a big fan of more local politics.

He was a legislator for quite a while. Became quite disillusioned after the lack of party support for a statewide race, so he got out of politics.

Yes, there is no specified color of blue, you see it royal, you see it navy, but the MONTANA text has to be Helvetica Bold. Quirky thing.

I've done a few different state flag redesigns for Montana, but given up hope we'll ever change. Timing has to be just right when there's only a legislative session every two years. And frankly, most people just don't care that the flag sucks.

My city's (Thunder Bay) flag was adopted in 1972.

They chose to include likely the most iconic symbol from the city's area - the Sleeping Giant - (natural rock formation on nearby Sibley Peninsula).  Right below is a pic I took of it from the city's waterfront on Canada Day a few years back.

993962_10200234556817962_1791669910_n.jp

From the city's website:

"The design forms a golden sky from a sun behind the green Sleeping Giant, sitting in the blue waters of Lake Superior. The red maple leaf is the signification of Canada. The green and gold also represent the City's colours."

flag.jpg

512px-Flag_of_Thunder_Bay.svg.png

• Like 1

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Sakes alive, how did I miss that Cesarano is a class-conscious proletarian?

(Fixed it for you.)

590c329526b45_interduflagoj.thumb.jpg.6745c05ef8a3010453184b4c5f0fdc81.jpg

(In the interest of accuracy, I will note that I fly the Soviet flag out of a profound respect for the Revolution, and also out of admiration for the establishment of the world's first workers' state.  However, by the time Stalin's descent into madness was complete -- and certainly by the time the term "tankie" was created by apologists for American war crimes -- the workers' state in the Soviet Union had been crushed.  Still, even in its degraded post-proletarian-state condition, the Soviet Union continued to do humanity a great service by functioning as a counterweight to U.S. imperialism.) 

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

12 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

(In the interest of accuracy, I will note that I fly the Soviet flag out of a profound respect for the Revolution, and also out of admiration for the establishment of the world's first workers' state.  However, by the time Stalin's descent into madness was complete -- and certainly by the time the term "tankie" was created by apologists for American war crimes -- the workers' state in the Soviet Union had been crushed.  Still, even in its degraded post-proletarian-state condition, the Soviet Union continued to do humanity a great service by functioning as a counterweight to U.S. imperialism.)

We get it- you're a communist who likes big words.

• Like 4

On May 4, 2017 at 2:17 PM, Victormrey said:

Still better than the flag used by the GRAPO (a former terrorist organization from Spain):

Bandera_del_GRAPO.png

Yeah, that flag has terrorist written all over it. A terrorist to your eye site.

• Like 2

It's really interesting how certain symbols themselves become engrained to represent "evil" or "the bad guys".

When you see a swastika, you instinctively think that they're "the bad guys" because it became the norm; and even for me growing up, seeing the crossed hammer and sickle has this odd stirring inside even today that makes me think "bad guys".  of course it  becomes odd when there are shirts and stuff being sold at Hot Topic or Kohl's that has the old Soviet emblems all over it. 

(As a Boston fan, I get this same feeling with the Yankees "NY" logo but that's not for this topic)

Really interesting that such simple symbols can not only have so much meaning behind them, but also be associated with such evils
220px-Flag_of_the_German_Reich_%281935%E Flag of the Soviet Union.svg

One thing to note, as a kid it took me forever to understand that it was supposed to be a "Red Star" above the symbol, not just a hollow gold star.  the use of the red star elsewhere makes so much more sense once it clicks

For some of us, the hammer and sickle is a symbol of justice.  I consider it one of the most meaningful and beautiful symbols I have ever seen, which is why I display it prominently at home, at work, on my bike, and frequently on a button affixed to my clothing.

Someone of my ideology should sneer at commodification; but I will not deny that I find it cool to be able to have a hammer and sickle on my keychain or on a bag or on a cap.  I wear any logo as a means to express something about myself; and the ability to wear a symbol which I love so much is something I greatly appreciate.

bike.jpg.4181fe5dea7b1ba0a0c81431b78568bd.jpg   591358634dda6_hammerandsicklecap.jpg.351fcbecf7be316c1000f66df9a7ad56.jpg

59135b3f1e777_duflagoj.thumb.jpg.6775c4532209420af72c01dc0e6d0715.jpg

In between the Soviet flag and another flag very beloved by me: the Esperanto flag.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I had an edit to my post that I accidentally deleted but I want to expand upon it and I think it was briefly mentioned but can we discuss Liberia's County flags please.  it's like MSPaint overload here:

Flag of Liberia.svg

120px-Flag_of_Bomi_County.svg.png 120px-Flag_of_Bong_County.svg.png 120px-Flag_of_Gbarpolu_County.svg.png 120px-Flag_of_Grand_Bassa_County.svg.png 120px-Flag_of_Grand_Cape_Mount_County.sv 120px-Flag_of_Grand_Gedeh_County.svg.png 120px-Flag_of_Grand_Kru_County.svg.png 120px-Flag_of_Lofa_County.svg.png 120px-Flag_of_Margibi_County.svg.png 120px-Flag_of_Maryland_County.svg.png 120px-Flag_of_Montserrado_County.svg.png 120px-Flag_of_Nimba_County.svg.png 120px-Flag_of_Rivercess_County.svg.png 120px-Flag_of_River_Gee_County.svg.png 120px-Flag_of_Sinoe_County.svg.png

• Like 2