Fun With Flags!!!!

Sport

So my former hometown of Rochester, Minnesota is holding a contest to replace...whatever the heck this is.
Image result for rochester mn flag

They're doing a two round voting system with the intention of unveiling a new flag next spring. (link here.)

Here's what came out of round 1:

RochesterFlag_0050.jpg

RochesterFlag_0027.jpg

RochesterFlag_0010.jpg

RochesterFlag_0012.jpg

RochesterFlag_0030.jpg

RochesterFlag_0001.jpg

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How about something a little atypical: a history of the flags of a fictional micronation

Having been a concept/idea of some kind ever since I was in elementary school, in 6th grade or so I established "Peytonia," a sprawling nation, population 1, with territories including my bedroom at my parents' house, the spare room in that same house, an unofficial claim of Marie Byrd Land in Antarctica, and a similarly unofficial claim of a swath of land on Mars north of Valles Marineris. I've passively on-and-off stuck with it ever since, even if more of an idea than a physical entity. That includes drawing up flags and symbolism!

There used to be MS Paint files of all of the early flags and symbols, but those have been lost to the sands of time, so the 2010-11 and 2013-14 are crudely drawn approximations. The 2012 one is actually someone made for me in high school which I still have, so I dug it out and took a picture. As a basic rundown of each:

2888o50.png

2010-11: My family refers to me as "Bug" which is a nickname nobody has any idea where it came from, and nobody outside my immediate family calls me by. So I decided to use the bug (specifically an abstracted beetle kind of one?) as my first concrete national symbol. Like I said, the original of this flag is long gone, so I recreated it from memory. It drove my crazy trying to remember whether I had a black bug or a gray or gold bug, and the black and red may be reversed, but you get the idea. Imagine the crude thrown-together approximation here, but even crappier and more compressed and you get the idea. At this point, Peytonia was no particular government, but best described as a monarchy. Perhaps the strong black and red coupled with self-referential icon of its founder reflect that.

2012-2014: at this time, Peytonia was a "Constitutional Monarchy" and I decided to revitalize the flag accordingly. Yellow was introduced as a national color, and the bug went to the wayside, replaced with the "Giraffe" seal (giraffes are one of my favorite animals, though sadly no giraffes are native to Peytonia), with the checkerboard royal shield, flanked by branch and sword, representing growth and power. The flag shown here was by a high school friend based on my design, she definitely idealized the branch from its original idea whereas I genuinely just imagined it representing the weeds that grow outside in the yard of the house (really). The old English lettering spells "Peytonia" and while hard to see that's supposed to be roman numerals representing the year I was born (not telling that, but I absolutely butchered the numbering and had no idea how it worked so its wrong and barely readable anyway).

2013-2014: I got into the Beatles, became quite an idealistic Micronation leader, and the flag transitioned accordingly. While the previous flag still hung up on my bedroom wall, I designed a totally different kind of flag and symbol. The giraffe was eventually retired as a symbol. Light blue canton coupled with the plain white field symbolized peace. I also began writing music at this time, so the new symbol reflected it: a music note coupled with a peace sign. In all a very weird time symbolism wise for Peytonia, which became a Republic and is still to this day (I even wrote a two-page constitution in 2014).

2017: after shelving my duties as leader and sole citizen of Peytonia for a while, I decided to revisit it once again and give it a simple, clean, unique flag. I reincorporated red and yellow, and the yellow and blue stripes have thinner/more spread out dimensions than most tricolors (I based it off of the flag of Crimea). Early variations had no "~P~" at all, but I decided to add it later to fill the white which looked emptier than a normal tricolor since the top and bottom stripes are wider apart. Blue still represents peace as well as good will, and the gold now represents good and fruitful living.

As a bonus, I included an updated sketch of the national seal that I did during some downtime at work the other day. Since the flag is simplified, I decided to incorporate the classic symbols of Peytonia back into the national identity by way of its seal. The bug is stamped at the bottom, while the shield is flanked by the giraffes. The same "~P~" appears here for continuity with the flag. The proper roman numeral "MMX" appears as well in the banners reading "Est." and "MMX" to represent the proper naming and founding of Peytonia in 2010.

ICXC NIKA

On 2/6/2018 at 5:02 PM, insert name said:

I just found out Japan modified their flag not long ago.

speaking of Japan:

Imperial Standard

Flag of the Japanese Emperor.svg

i wonder if they are going to have one for Akihito becomes Daijō Tennō (aka after April 30th 2019 when he abdicates)

• Like 1

so long and thanks for all the fish.

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/11/2017 at 3:44 PM, ChicagoOakland said:

So my former hometown of Rochester, Minnesota is holding a contest to replace...whatever the heck this is.
Image result for rochester mn flag

They're doing a two round voting system with the intention of unveiling a new flag next spring. (link here.)

I just saw that their round 2 voting is now open, so I thought I'd bump this thread so the forumites can cast their vote. Plenty of rubbish in there but also some nice ones. Overall, I think this round has some nicer designs than the first round. 

To see all the entrants and cast your vote, follow this link: 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc0_WGG7kHwBDCowjN0YCz8D3Na8x2k0Uku8hDTar4Hy_TLew/viewform

Here are my five favourites:

No. 0222 - A cross to symbolise St. Mary’s Hospital on the left, and an abstract Plummer Building (Mayo Clinic) on the right.

VplRLXwMYPmZaV4I2iN28TUzLIm6Rju2mQOCO8_R

No. 0246 - Three geese in V-flight formation, symbolising "dedication", "intuition" and "care"

iyRTU81hQQoRHExa5mLCs3ALQer517J4-JrRrEhW

No. 0249 - A goose on the Zumbo River, in Mayo Clinic / IBM blue

FRwdBMVy7v29zqOwo7UdTppkpaKF3XQKRXuFNOW9

No. 0268 - A quartered cross to symbolise medical care, cardinal points on a compass, "debating, cooperating, or whimsically, elegant and having fun on the ice rinks" and geese "making a bee-line (or vee-line) for Rochester". I can't quite follow most of that symbolism, but hey, the design does look nice! ;)

SbpFNUjyL8RYmUopOQnWmvDVZiXvvKmqRJw4kPHl

No. 0281 - The North Star shining over Rochester

ULM2RJO2QHd-u67Kwh4a7ox5Q1ajAc26VWcSPBjH

10 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

While I can't find a picture of it, that looks a LOT like one of the finalists (not the actual one though) for Orlando's new flag.

Now that you say it, yeah, it looks a bit like options 1, 2 and 3 of Orlando's finalists mashed together (see below).

os-orlando-flag-meeting-final-choice-201

And it also gives me dejavu vibes of Milwaukee's flag redesign winner:

Mke_sunrise_flag.png

In any case, it's still a nice design.

What are your favorites in Rochester's contest? 

• Like 3

On 2/25/2018 at 4:00 AM, Captain Tsubasa said:

No. 0268 - A quartered cross to symbolise medical care, cardinal points on a compass, "debating, cooperating, or whimsically, elegant and having fun on the ice rinks" and geese "making a bee-line (or vee-line) for Rochester". I can't quite follow most of that symbolism, but hey, the design does look nice! ;)

SbpFNUjyL8RYmUopOQnWmvDVZiXvvKmqRJw4kPHl

No. 0281 - The North Star shining over Rochester

ULM2RJO2QHd-u67Kwh4a7ox5Q1ajAc26VWcSPBjH

The last one is my favorite and the one above it is up there too. I also love the design which incorporates the Zumbro River; it's pretty clever that the star is located about right where the Mayo Clinic is.

BwPWFpTlugIe7Gre0NHp7DCpOnQji2KYmD-tjJqn

I can't help it, I like this neon-looking flag too.

PSqn28RpUkKUEsv6xMSJG969tk3LUPViZ1mAlLWy

• Like 2

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

My wife and I just vacationed in St Kitts and Nevis. I enjoy their flag quite a bit.

Flag_of_Saint_Kitts_and_Nevis.svg

St Kitts and Nevis is the smallest sovereign state in the western hemisphere in both population and area. The meaning behind the elements in the flag, taken from the wikipedia page, sounds like it was written by a Nike copywriter: "The green alludes to the country's fertile land, while the red evokes the fight for freedom against slavery and colonialism. The yellow stripes represent the sunshine the islands enjoy all year round, and the black epitomises the people's African origins.[2][4] The two stars on the black band symbolise Saint Christopher and Nevis[2][7]—the two islands that make up the federation—as well as "hope and liberty"

• Like 4

PvO6ZWJ.png

I have a flag from the Whiskey Rebellion up in my classroom. Kids are always intrigued by it primarily because A.) they know it looks American but they have no idea what it stands for and B.) it's a pretty cool design.

713b3HpqeQL._SX463_.jpg

• Like 9
On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

us-nccha.gif

This is the current flag of Charlotte. It has a hornet's nest for the nickname of the region, and a handshake for cooperation I think?

us-nccmb.gif

This is either the civic flag or the flag of Mecklenburg County, I don't know. However, it's so much better than what we have now. Personally, I'd like to see this flag with a blue/teal background, as I don't think that green really works with the city. 

the user formerly known as cdclt