Fun With Flags!!!!

Sport

13 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

us-nccha.gif

This is the current flag of Charlotte. It has a hornet's nest for the nickname of the region, and a handshake for cooperation I think?

us-nccmb.gif

This is either the civic flag or the flag of Mecklenburg County, I don't know. However, it's so much better than what we have now. Personally, I'd like to see this flag with a blue/teal background, as I don't think that green really works with the city. 

I honestly thought the second one WAS your flag. I've been to Charlotte a few times and I've seen that symbol pretty much everywhere.

It's a well designed logo and a lot of people already associate it with Charlotte; they might as well pull the trigger and make that the official flag.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

14 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

us-nccha.gif

This is the current flag of Charlotte. It has a hornet's nest for the nickname of the region, and a handshake for cooperation I think?

us-nccmb.gif

This is either the civic flag or the flag of Mecklenburg County, I don't know. However, it's so much better than what we have now. Personally, I'd like to see this flag with a blue/teal background, as I don't think that green really works with the city. 

I think if they made the background of the second flag a kind of green-ish blue like that which the Hornets use, it'd be one of the best flags in the country. Some good, unique, symbolism right there.

8 hours ago, ChicagoOakland said:

I honestly thought the second one WAS your flag. I've been to Charlotte a few times and I've seen that symbol pretty much everywhere.

It's a well designed logo and a lot of people already associate it with Charlotte; they might as well pull the trigger and make that the official flag.

Yeah I don't know why they haven't yet. I'm not sure if our council members even know we have a flag.

7 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

I think if they made the background of the second flag a kind of green-ish blue like that which the Hornets use, it'd be one of the best flags in the country. Some good, unique, symbolism right there.

I 100% agree. It's such a great symbol, with the obvious crown for the Queen City, and the subtle "m" for Mecklenburg County. 

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

6 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

Yeah I don't know why they haven't yet. I'm not sure if our council members even know we have a flag.

Well, that's one thing Charlotte and Raleigh have in common.

Speaking of Raleigh, our flag might need a sprucing up (yes, that was intentional):

RaleighFlagFrontnew

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

On 3/13/2018 at 7:02 PM, QueenCitySwarm said:

us-nccha.gif

us-nccmb.gif

I'm a Charlottean by marriage, and I've become a fan of the crown over the years I've been visiting. At first, I thought it was kind of dated and corporate, like Uptown Charlotte. But it really grew on me (along with the city) and I appreciate it as an ahead-of-its time, iconic work of urban branding that has and will continue to have longevity.

The tourism board rebranded last year, and incorporated a version of the crown into the logos:

charlottelogoUPDATElogo1

I think they could definitely do more with the flag - something like the above to give it some contrast or dimension, or a pattern or design added to it would maybe would loosen it up a bit. I totally agree with you about the color of the flag. Charlotteans seem to identify with teal from rooting for the Hornets and Panthers, so maybe this is a tail wags the dog scenario where the city adopts the sports team colors.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Waffles said:

I think they could definitely do more with the flag - something like the above to give it some contrast or dimension, or a pattern or design added to it would maybe would loosen it up a bit. I totally agree with you about the color of the flag. Charlotteans seem to identify with teal from rooting for the Hornets and Panthers, so maybe this is a tail wags the dog scenario where the city adopts the sports team colors.

Yeah, I think that a teal background and maybe a two-tone crown (white with carolina blue details) would be stellar, and really solidify the blue/crown theme that all the teams and even the city is going for.

the user formerly known as cdclt

If you're a fan of flags and geography in general, I can't recommend the Youtube channel GeographyNow! enough.  His down-to-earth descriptions of the geography and culture of countries are extremely accessible, and every Friday is a combo of fan letters and discussion about a recently-covered country's flag.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

44 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If you're a fan of flags and geography in general, I can't recommend the Youtube channel GeographyNow! enough.  His down-to-earth descriptions of the geography and culture of countries are extremely accessible, and every Friday is a combo of fan letters and discussion about a recently-covered country's flag.

I second this opinion.

On ‎1‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:46 PM, aztex82 said:

Australia and its territories have some pretty great flags. Northern Territory:

Flag_of_the_Northern_Territory.svg

Norfolk Island:

Flag_of_Norfolk_Island.svg

Dropping the Union Jack on the NT and ACT flags was a good idea.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

• 2 months later...

http://www.montereyherald.com/article/NF/20180625/NEWS/180629915

My county here in California recently had a flag design contest, so I gave it a shot with a rather minimalist design that I attached below. However, the result finally came out three months later, and I'm thoroughly disappointed :/

28159658077_2ce51f7777_o.jpg

• Like 3