Fun With Flags!!!!

Sport

5 minutes ago, TheGiantsFan said:

http://www.montereyherald.com/article/NF/20180625/NEWS/180629915

My county here in California recently had a flag design contest, so I gave it a shot with a rather minimalist design that I attached below. However, the result finally came out three months later, and I'm thoroughly disappointed :/

"Three area artists will have their work incorporated into the first official Monterey County flag."

First place:

Lisa Bryanâs design for a Monterey County flag took first place in a recent competition. (Courtesy of Monterey County)

Second place:

EP-180629915.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

It doesn't list the third one, but if it's like the first two... yecch. These violate just about every flag design guideline imaginable. Text? Check! Lots of colors? Check! Images that won't be legible while viewing it on a flagpole from the ground? Check!

I can only imagine the abomination that will result from combining the three together. Despite only knowing a little about the Monterey/Salinas area (Big Sur, mountainous coast) it's obvious that your design incorporates those elements and is miles better than the absolute garbage that won.

• Like 3

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

2 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

"Three area artists will have their work incorporated into the first official Monterey County flag."

First place:

Lisa Bryanâs design for a Monterey County flag took first place in a recent competition. (Courtesy of Monterey County)

Second place:

EP-180629915.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

It doesn't list the third one, but if it's like the first two... yecch. These violate just about every flag design guideline imaginable. Text? Check! Lots of colors? Check! Images that won't be legible while viewing it on a flagpole from the ground? Check!

I can only imagine the abomination that will result from combining the three together. Despite only knowing a little about the Monterey/Salinas area (Big Sur, mountainous coast) it's obvious that your design incorporates those elements and is miles better than the absolute garbage that won.

If you have to put the name on there somewhere, then you should already realize there's a problem.

One element they should use is the Coast Line.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2018 at 8:32 AM, ChicagoOakland said:

UPDATE: Rochester, Minnesota is down to two finalists to replace it's flag.

DjSd31yWsAE68dm.png:large

If you forgot what Rochester's flag looked like, here ya go:

Flag_of_Rochester,_Minnesota.svg

Both of them would be a huge improvement over their current flag. I am hoping the goose flag gets the nod, as I feel it has a bit more personality. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2016 at 10:05 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Also, the U.S. flag is a mess from a design standpoint.  Placing it next to a superbly-designed flag such as Canada's only underscores how horrid it is.

Ha! I am a non American that has always liked the flag.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2018 at 4:48 PM, monkeypower said:

Here's Calgary's flag. It's hard to tell here on the white background of the of the site, but there's a strip of white above and below the red.

1200px-Flag_of_Calgary,_Alberta.svg.png

It looks like it could have been a logo for the Calgary Cowboys WHA team.

Jeez, Arby's in Canada is weird.

• Like 9

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

• 3 weeks later...

Just poking around on some flags and I stumbled across a neat thing that's done in Timor-Leste.  All the municipalities utilize the Hoist emblem on their flags!  Some look good.  Others...could've been done differently

National Flag
Flag of East Timor

Municipalities

Flag of Aileu Flag of Ainaro Flag of Baucau Flag of Bobonaro Flag of Cova Lima Flag of Díli Flag of Ermera Flag of Lautém Flag of Liquiçá Flag of Manatuto Flag of Manufahi Flag of Oecusse Flag of Viqueque

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Pharos04 said:

Just poking around on some flags and I stumbled across a neat thing that's done in Timor-Leste.  All the municipalities utilize the Hoist emblem on their flags!  Some look good.  Others...could've been done differently

National Flag
Flag of East Timor

Municipalities

Flag of Aileu Flag of Ainaro Flag of Baucau Flag of Bobonaro Flag of Cova Lima Flag of Díli Flag of Ermera Flag of Lautém Flag of Liquiçá Flag of Manatuto Flag of Manufahi Flag of Oecusse Flag of Viqueque

That's a really cool concept.

It's like a modern version of the British Empire slapping Union Jacks onto the canton of everyone's flag. 

• Like 6

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

On 9/10/2018 at 10:28 AM, Pharos04 said:

Municipalities

Flag of Viqueque

Apparently Timor-Leste is counting Arizona as a municipality.

But yeah, cool concept. Some of them work, some don't.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

On 9/14/2018 at 1:20 AM, Foxxtrot44 said:

Get your designs ready.

Salt Lake is getting ready to ditch its abominable flag

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/2018/09/04/salt-lake-citys/

Interesting article. What is even more interesting is the study linked from it.

https://nava.org/digital-library/raven/Raven_v12_2005_p027-062.pdf

I recently ran a 9-11 5k and some one was running with a flag I’ve never seen before and wondered what it was and what it had to do with 9-11. It had 5 green and white stripes and a flash of blue with a bunch of stars (don’t know how many) does anyone know what this flag is and what it’s suppose to represent?

1 hour ago, dont care said:

I recently ran a 9-11 5k and some one was running with a flag I’ve never seen before and wondered what it was and what it had to do with 9-11. It had 5 green and white stripes and a flash of blue with a bunch of stars (don’t know how many) does anyone know what this flag is and what it’s suppose to represent?

[NYC Police Department flag]

NYC Police Department

• Like 2