McCarthy

Fun With Flags!!!!

Recommended Posts

I'll take your word for it, but the official city seal is not round, although there have been round versions used in the past.

 

Also, look at the date at the bottom - no motto banner. That's one difference on the flag version of the city seal, and the dead giveaway when somebody cribs the image off Wikipedia. 

 

When did did you buy that flag?  The city used a version for a while in the 1980s and early 1990s that were different yet - the shield at the center was dark blue, not white.  Those turn up from time to time as well. 

 

And frankly, the fact that there is such confusion is reason enough to change the flag.  Love the tricolor, either fly it unadorned or give it a more iconic symbol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

Though I would be morally remiss if I did not suggest one fanciful improvement to the flag of this place that was for a long time a part of the Soviet Union:

 

Estonia flag modified.png

I am very confused by this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

I'll take your word for it, but the official city seal is not round, although there have been round versions used in the past.

 

Also, look at the date at the bottom - no motto banner. That's one difference on the flag version of the city seal, and the dead giveaway when somebody cribs the image off Wikipedia. 

 

When did did you buy that flag?  The city used a version for a while in the 1980s and early 1990s that were different yet - the shield at the center was dark blue, not white.  Those turn up from time to time as well. 

 

And frankly, the fact that there is such confusion is reason enough to change the flag.  Love the tricolor, either fly it unadorned or give it a more iconic symbol. 

 

I bought that flag about four years ago.  It is not difficult to find the version with the round seal and no motto in the wild.  

 

NYC flag 2.jpg

 

NYC flag Wlmsbg Br.jpg

 

(Incidentally, I have framed and hung this last shot.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, this NY Flag is all over the place. Clean it up, standardize it, get rid of the seal, and you're golden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, WissX said:

Image result for green bay city flag

one of my more liked flags

 

That thing violates about about 20 different vexillological principals. Tons of text on a flag, seal on a bedsheet, illustration of a building, etc.

 

And it reduces the City of Green Bay to its football team. Granted, it's why 99% of America has heard of Green Bay, but the flag would be an opportunity to say to visitors and residents alike "hey, we're a real city, and not just Lambeau Field"!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2016 at 9:29 AM, mr.nascar13 said:

USA! USA! USA! USA!

o-AMERICAN-FLAG-facebook.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Seriously though, besides the stars & stripes, for some reason, I've always like Great Britain's Union Jack:

union-jack-flag-std.jpg

 

I'm also a fan of the state flag of Tennessee:

2000px-Flag_of_Tennessee.svg.png

 

 

Mitsubishi anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2016 at 0:02 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The desk flags for sale have oval seals, some with the motto and some without.

 

Desk flags, yes.  But I nterestingly, the full-size flags now being sold by the city have an oval seal with no motto. 

18063-large.jpg

https://a856-citystore.nyc.gov/1/Gifts/4/CityStore-Exclusives/257/City-of-NY-Outdoor-Flag

 

This is why I say it's time for a change - what a mess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kroywen said:

That thing violates about about 20 different vexillological principals. Tons of text on a flag, seal on a bedsheet, illustration of a building, etc.

 

And it reduces the City of Green Bay to its football team. Granted, it's why 99% of America has heard of Green Bay, but the flag would be an opportunity to say to visitors and residents alike "hey, we're a real city, and not just Lambeau Field"!

 

Thats because it's just the city seal on a bedsheet.   A wavy, two-toned bedsheet, but bedsheet nonetheless. 

 

I kind of like incorporating the Packers into the city seal, as the team is so integral to the community, its sense of self and its economy.  It's one of the things which makes Green Bay literally unlike any other place in the country, and I'm okay celebrating that. 

 

But the flag should be something different.  The flag should be something better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

 

Thats because it's just the city seal on a bedsheet.   A wavy, two-toned bedsheet, but bedsheet nonetheless. 

 

I kind of like incorporating the Packers into the city seal, as the team is so integral to the community, its sense of self and its economy.  It's one of the things which makes Green Bay literally unlike any other place in the country, and I'm okay celebrating that. 

 

But the flag should be something different.  The flag should be something better. 

I don't mind referencing the Packers on the city flag at all, but actually putting their logo on the flag seems a little far to me. A well-designed green and gold flag would represent an obvious nod to the Packers, without going as far as having the team logo displayed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

Image result for estonian flag forest

Always liked Estonia's just because of this picture. Based on the Estonian forests in the winter

 

 

That is brilliant.  I didn't think this flag was anything special until now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, WissX said:

Image result for green bay city flag

one of my more liked flags

 

 

 

Wow, that is really bad. Shield, logo, text, and gradients aside, the actual flag pattern in the background is really odd and the white line is really too thin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hell, the Nazi swastika is one of the best flags ever designed.  Simple, bold and unmistakeable. 

 

Nazi Germany and the CSA are two of the most evil nations in world history, but they did have some nice flags. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of that, have we discussed what is apparently the "Blue Lives Matter" flag?

 

flag-blue-line-heavy.jpg

 

I saw this out and about and thought it was some kind of white supremacist deal, it looked so menacing. Does this violate the flag code somehow? If not, can we change the flag code so that it does? A dark, sinister version of the American flag just gives me the willies. It's too Raiders-y.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure what American law has to say about it, but I know that in Canada it's illegal to produce the national flag in anything other than it's official colouration. Back in undergrad we tried to get a purple and white version done up for Student Government (the school's colours) but no one would agree to make it on the grounds that it was technically illegal to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now