NHL Identity Swap Series (Update Feb. 13)

Bpoe96

Earlier this summer, around the end of the school year, I had this idea for a series. I asked my other designer friend, Rana, if she wanted to do it with me, and now, at the end of the summer, I think we’re finally ready to show off what we have done. We aren’t completely finished yet, as it takes a while to completely rebrand 30 teams, even for just the logos. The jerseys will come later.

If you’ve seen @ldconcepts's thread which was based off of this series, you’ll have an idea of what’s going on. Ours is a little different though. Our goal was to take one team’s logo or namesake, and design their logo with the same style or theme as another team’s. After that, we’ll do the reverse. Unlike Lucas, we paired each team together with one other team, and just swapped those two. The pairings were chose mainly on what we could come up with ideas for, not rivalries or anything (that does happen a few times, though),

In order to leave a bit of surprise. I won’t tell you guys the pairings yet. But I will give you a list of 15 teams, all of them being paired with a team that isn’t on the list. When I unveil a team, I’ll put the pairing here too.

Anaheim - Dallas

Arizona

Boston

Buffalo - Chicago

Calgary - Edmonton

Carolina - Columbus

Colorado - Winnipeg

Detroit

Florida - Nashville

Los Angeles - Toronto

Minnesota

Montreal

New Jersey

Pittsburgh - Washington

St. Louis - Tampa Bay

Below in this spoiler tag will be an image with a compilation of any logos unveiled. Check the posts in the thread for a more in depth description/larger image of them.

Spoiler

All Logos re 5.png

58f9196939e87_CCSLCsig.png.9bc4492f6b88c5f7d305eb5337acf1f0.png

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you guys probably noticed in the list, our first pairing is Anaheim and Dallas.

Dallas’s (actual) logo is a D fused with a star right? Well, that was a bit tough to figure out for Anaheim. My original idea was to make an A with a duck foot, but after that idea failed, I just decided to fuse old with new instead. This one takes the shape of the current webbed D logo, and fuses it with the rounded triangle shape of the Mighty Ducks logo. And then, of course, there’s a bevel.

On the other hand, Anaheim’s (actual) logo takes their team name initial, D, and uses their mascot (or a part of it) to make said letter. Well, I took that same concept for Dallas, making a star stylized to look like an S.

C & C appreciated!

Anaheim.pngDallas.png

1 hour ago, ATolly66 said:

Are you going to include uniforms? 

2 hours ago, Bpoe96 said:

Earlier this summer, around the end of the school year, I had this idea for a series. I asked my other designer friend, Rana, if she wanted to do it with me, and now, at the end of the summer, I think we’re finally ready to show off what we have done. We aren’t completely finished yet, as it takes a while to completely rebrand 30 teams, even for just the logos. The jerseys will come later.

Yep, not sure yet if we'll just release all of the logos first, and then all of the unis, or if it'll be scattered, but there are/will be uniforms.

Next up we’ve got a rivalry. Pittsburgh and Washington.

The Pittsburgh side of things is pretty self explanatory, with a  remake of the Capitals wordmark to say “Penguins”, and stars replaced with triangles. Rana actually found this article before any of this started, which is what inspired me to make this Penguins version. I’m pretty sure that’s what spawned this entire series idea too.

The Capitals one is swapped with the robo penguin style as opposed to the current skating penguin. It takes the head from the weagle and combines it with a star in the manner that the robo pen uses a triangle. As opposed to the white stripes on the side in the black, this version uses the stripes from the American flag.

Pittsburgh.pngWashington.png

Until just a few days ago though, the logo for Washington was actually styled like the current Penguins logo. I never really found a version of it that I was 100% completely happy with, and in the end I ended up going in another direction, but since it's created already, it can't hurt to share it. Maybe you guys have a different opinion.

Washington2.png

Thanks for the support we've gotten so far, and any C & C is appreciated!

3 hours ago, Bpoe96 said:

Pittsburgh Washington logos.png

:notworthy:

The Washington one is so good, I could easily imagine it coming first, before the Robo-Penguin.

The Penguins one is nothing special, but is incredibly executed. One thing I might tweak would be the triangles; adding a fourth one would celebrate their four cups, but that would start a whole "let's update the logo every cup year" problem, and the number three doesn't appear to have any symbolism for the Caps either.

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

1 hour ago, ldconcepts said:

:notworthy:

The Washington one is so good, I could easily imagine it coming first, before the Robo-Penguin.

The Penguins one is nothing special, but is incredibly executed. One thing I might tweak would be the triangles; adding a fourth one would celebrate their four cups, but that would start a whole "let's update the logo every cup year" problem, and the number three doesn't appear to have any symbolism for the Caps either.

D.C. Flag has the 3 stars. 

Can't wait for more! All of the logos look amazing!

"This is our f*****g city. And nobody is going to dictate our freedom. Stay strong."—David Ortiz 

#34ever

6 hours ago, Silence of the Rams said:

My guess now seeing as you paired rivals. I think I now have a good guess on who LA is paired with 

But really, I will tell you LA's pairing isn't much of a rivalry. The rivalry matchups are few and far between in this series, because like I said we just went off of what we had ideas for.

In fact, I'm pretty sure the LA pair is what'll be posted tomorrow, so you won't have to wait long.

On 8/19/2016 at 10:11 PM, Darknes said:

I eagerly await the team Boston is paired up with, admittingly I would have loved to see the heresy that a Bruins-Habs combination would have looked like.

I won't promise anything, but I won't rule out doing some bonus ideas/requests after the series is over. There's already one we've done and then decided to change their partner, so we have at least one extra already.

Next up, as I said yesterday, we have Los Angeles and Toronto.

It wasn’t too easy to find a team to swap with the Leafs without it looking too boring. We eventually somehow settled on the Kings. A solid, one color crown with text was just too plain, so she left in some details on the crown, similarly to how Toronto’s new logo has the veins.

For LA’s (actual) logo, they essentially took their old logo, made it smaller, and put it in a shield. Well, that’s exactly what Rana did. She also made the TML monogram in a similar manner to how I made the Penguins wordmark, taking elements from their pre-existing wordmark to create the letters that weren’t available. The shield had to be compressed a bit too, otherwise there would have been a bit of empty space. We also had to add gray, because this logo won't work as well with only two colors.

As always, C & C appreciated!

Los-Angeles.pngToronto.png

Next up, Tampa Bay and St. Louis.

Tampa's logo is pretty self explanatory, going for the Blues' logo shape made of lightning bolts. I think it's still a tad rough around the edges, so I could use to go back and refine it a bit, and any suggestions for that are welcome.

St. Louis's logo is a pretty simple one, just replacing the lightning bolt from Tampa's logo with a music note. I love the way it turned out in the end, Rana did a great job on it.

St.-Louis.pngTampa-Bay.png

I may take a break from posting this series tomorrow, as I don't want to run out of things to post too quickly. A bonus swap or a jersey may be posted, we'll have to decide what to do. For now, C & C on any of these is appreciated!

1 minute ago, Bpoe96 said:

Tampa St.L logos.png

The Blues one works perfectly, can imagine that being used for a real company. The Loghtning one works, but I can't see a reason that the right part of the logo would exist aside for the Blues swap, if you know what I mean.

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

Archived