NHL Identity Swap Series (Update Feb. 13)

Bpoe96

So it's been a while since my last post here...and don't worry, I'm not leaving again like before. I still might try to spread these posts out a bit until I start working on the logos again, so I don't run out and have to go on another long hiatus. If you guys would prefer a post every other day or so instead, but with the risk of a longer hiatus if I run out, just tell me and I'll do that instead. Anyways, onto the actual concept...

I'm posting this one now, as opposed to any other one I have finished, because I'm a bit unsure if I like how it turned out and would like some feedback on it.

Next up we have a logo for Colorado, designed in the style of Winnipeg. The outline and general shape of the logo follows the Jets' logo, the jet is replaced with a snow-capped mountain, and the explosion maple leaf in the background is instead replaced with slightly recolored (really just a darker blue) striping from the Colorado flag. The color scheme uses their current steel blue and the alternate's navy blue. I tried many color combinations, including keeping the maroon, but this just looked the best. That's not to say it'll be left off the jersey when I get to designing it, though.

C&C appreciated, as always!

Colorado.png

58f9196939e87_CCSLCsig.png.9bc4492f6b88c5f7d305eb5337acf1f0.png

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonderful concepts - great ideas.  I like it!!!

Really like how you used the state of California for the ducks logo!

IMO - I'd mix New Jersey with Boston.  Wheels were turning in my head ... 

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I love all of these, honestly. Reminds me of the alternate universe stuff from when I used to lurk here way back when. I'd say my one critique of the recent work is that the mountain is too flat for the Avs. I think giving it some light shading, or even giving it a split down the middle, Winnipeg-style, would go a long way.

52 minutes ago, Big Yellow Flag said:

I love all of these, honestly. Reminds me of the alternate universe stuff from when I used to lurk here way back when. I'd say my one critique of the recent work is that the mountain is too flat for the Avs. I think giving it some light shading, or even giving it a split down the middle, Winnipeg-style, would go a long way.

I would listen to what @Big Yellow Flag said about giving it a split down the middle so it would look like winnipeg's logo even more 

22 hours ago, KCScout76 said:

Wonderful concepts - great ideas.  I like it!!!

Really like how you used the state of California for the ducks logo!

IMO - I'd mix New Jersey with Boston.  Wheels were turning in my head ... 

Well as you can see on the first page I didn't pair them together ... but I'd have nothing against doing some bonus concepts. ;)

22 hours ago, Big Yellow Flag said:

21 hours ago, TVIXX said:

I would listen to what @Big Yellow Flag said about giving it a split down the middle so it would look like winnipeg's logo even more 

I was actually trying shading originally, but I couldn't get any of my ideas to work. I would like to go back and play around with it to try to get something to work. The split down the middle is definitely an idea that I need to give a try. I can't remember what my reason was for not using it in the first place.

12 hours ago, NoE38 said:

Just an idea... How would the maroon look just on the outer grey circle? I also like how you kept the arrow at the top, It could be significant because of Mile High.

We actually tried many different color combinations like I said, and Rana and I both liked the one I showed above the best. Here are the rest of the options anyways; the two things I wanted to keep constant on them all was using a shade of blue for the flag background, and not having black and navy at the same time. My opinion still hasn't changed on the final choice, to each their own, though.

Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 7.48.42 AM.png

58f9196939e87_CCSLCsig.png.9bc4492f6b88c5f7d305eb5337acf1f0.png

On 8/20/2016 at 4:43 PM, Bpoe96 said:

Next up we’ve got a rivalry. Pittsburgh and Washington.

The Pittsburgh side of things is pretty self explanatory, with a  remake of the Capitals wordmark to say “Penguins”, and stars replaced with triangles. Rana actually found this article before any of this started, which is what inspired me to make this Penguins version. I’m pretty sure that’s what spawned this entire series idea too.

The Capitals one is swapped with the robo penguin style as opposed to the current skating penguin. It takes the head from the weagle and combines it with a star in the manner that the robo pen uses a triangle. As opposed to the white stripes on the side in the black, this version uses the stripes from the American flag.

Pittsburgh.pngWashington.png

Until just a few days ago though, the logo for Washington was actually styled like the current Penguins logo. I never really found a version of it that I was 100% completely happy with, and in the end I ended up going in another direction, but since it's created already, it can't hurt to share it. Maybe you guys have a different opinion.

Washington2.png

Thanks for the support we've gotten so far, and any C & C is appreciated!

Dude!!! hope these get seen by hard core Caps and Pens fans... they're going to lose their $#!t over this... 

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

On 8/22/2016 at 5:30 PM, Bpoe96 said:

Next up, Tampa Bay and St. Louis.

Tampa's logo is pretty self explanatory, going for the Blues' logo shape made of lightning bolts. I think it's still a tad rough around the edges, so I could use to go back and refine it a bit, and any suggestions for that are welcome.

St. Louis's logo is a pretty simple one, just replacing the lightning bolt from Tampa's logo with a music note. I love the way it turned out in the end, Rana did a great job on it.

St.-Louis.pngTampa-Bay.png

I may take a break from posting this series tomorrow, as I don't want to run out of things to post too quickly. A bonus swap or a jersey may be posted, we'll have to decide what to do. For now, C & C on any of these is appreciated!

Great idea...

From an execution standpoint, have you tried to have the "jagged bolt" go from left to right, as opposed to right to Left, if you know what I mean.

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

How about the Kansas City Scouts swapped with the St. Louis Blues, Florida Panthers with the San Jose Sharks, Anaheim Mighty Ducks with the Pittsburgh Penguins, the Hartford Whalers with the Oakland Seals, and the Minnesota North Stars with the Washington Capitals, in terms of color schemes and/or logo looks, et cetera?  Just wondering what they'd each look like if swapped as mentioned, that's all.  Turtle Pilgrim out.

Archived