2017 World Baseball Classic

Anubis2051

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/5/2017 at 0:13 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Back in September Japan changed the jersey they'll be wearing for the WBC, along with other international competitions. Here are two pics below. Of note, the article I read insists the cap the away jersey and the letters on the home jersey are a dark navy blue and are not black. They sure look black to me especially the away jersey so I question this but we shall see... 

sp-WBC-a-20160924.jpg

sty1609230010-f2.jpg

Just for reference here's a reminder of what Japan wore in the 2013 WBC. I always hated the two different word marks. They look like two different teams from the same country. Kinda how the Yankees and Mets both have jerseys that say New York across the chest but they're clearly different teams...

Much to my surprise, the new jerseys are actually navy:

20170215_103315.png

(Ignore the hat, it has nothing to do with the WBC.)

2 hours ago, Bmac said:

Much to my surprise, the new jerseys are actually navy:

20170215_103315.png

(Ignore the hat, it has nothing to do with the WBC.)

I would love to see MLB teams incorporate a look like this.  Back in the early 1900s a lot of teams had all navy or all black or all charcoal gray uniforms as their road uniforms.  This might be better for an occasional road alt, but I think it could work.  

Some examples:

1900 Cincinnati Reds

Click for larger image

1901 Baltimore Orioles

Click for larger image

1901 Chicago White Sox

Click for larger image

z9e0rqit393ojiizsemd0t1hx.gif74937881997.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)North Carolina Tar Heels (2015 - Pres)

8 hours ago, jch said:

I would love to see MLB teams incorporate a look like this.  Back in the early 1900s a lot of teams had all navy or all black or all charcoal gray uniforms as their road uniforms.  This might be better for an occasional road alt, but I think it could work.  

Agreed! I was thinking that the Pirates would look good in all black on occasion. (Imagine how hot that uniform could be though, depending on the conditions.)

pitallblack.png

Most of the WBC jerseys and caps this year have changes just for the sake of making changes and the majority are not changes for the better.

It feels like a money and merchandising strategy like if they said "Change every teams look even just a little bit or else fans who bought merchandise in the last wbc won't buy new merchandise if all of it looks exactly the same."

So all of a sudden almost every team has a vest look and random cap color changes.

11 minutes ago, Big Yellow Flag said:

Are there any teams other than Team Israel that haven't released anything uniform-wise? Pool A starts on March 6th, and all I'm hearing is crickets. They wore blue in the qualifiers, I'm hoping to see at least a white and hopefully a gray when the time finally comes.

ike_davis_39jj04mf_tcp7ecax.jpg

Good point I didn't notice they haven't released anything yet but I hope they change nothing. Their uniforms have been one of the simplest and most beautiful WBC jerseys as of late. 

On February 20, 2017 at 5:58 PM, Big Yellow Flag said:

Are there any teams other than Team Israel that haven't released anything uniform-wise? Pool A starts on March 6th, and all I'm hearing is crickets. They wore blue in the qualifiers, I'm hoping to see at least a white and hopefully a gray when the time finally comes.

ike_davis_39jj04mf_tcp7ecax.jpg

They make flag arm sleeves now?

YVRMUBj.png

As I said, I messaged Team Israel to ask about streaming (on the WBC website and MLB.tv, if anyone else was wondering), and I also asked about the jerseys. See my message and their response below.

noGRUfZ.png

The real question now is why MLB is dragging their feet on this when they could be making money on these things before the tournament starts (Team Israel WBC jerseys have never been sold), or alternatively if the guy running the Facebook page is completely wrong (absolutely a possibility).

Team Israel on Facebook could probably be the host organization for the nation, much like USA Baseball's Facebook isn't affiliated with the WBC for Team USA.

To MLB's credit, Israel is a newcomer to the WBC fold and their primary focus is marketing the usual suspects (USA, Venezuela, Dominican Rep, Japan, Korea, etc) as the primary percentage of buys would be for those nations.  I don't know how much I have seen for Colombia either.

But it feels like this year the WBC is even more than an afterthought. The shop feels like its a bare bones store, and it doesn't feel like there is that much promotion, other than "so and so is playing for team_________". 

That's really how it was last time too. I think they didn't even bother to offer customization either. They should have gone with each team's regular uniforms rather than these templated looks. They're way better than the batting practice jerseys but they need individual character. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

19 hours ago, shstpt1 said:

But it feels like this year the WBC is even more than an afterthought. The shop feels like its a bare bones store, and it doesn't feel like there is that much promotion, other than "so and so is playing for team_________". 

I disagree except in terms of the merchandise. In terms of the shop stuff yeah they've done very little, in terms of the tournament itself I feel a stronger push for the tournament this year than ever. But I could be wrong... it's been four years since the last one so I can't say my memories on that one are as strong as what's currently happening now of course.

It also broke on Twitter yesterday that most of the teams will be wearing adverts.  Jersey patches and helmet decals for like 12/16 or so.  Not the US or Dominicans, but most of the rest.  Either Chris or Lukas tweeted out a a link to the full list.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Archived