Anubis2051

2017 World Baseball Classic

AstroBull21    531
4 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I disagree except in terms of the merchandise. In terms of the shop stuff yeah they've done very little, in terms of the tournament itself I feel a stronger push for the tournament this year than ever. But I could be wrong... it's been four years since the last one so I can't say my memories on that one are as strong as what's currently happening now of course.

MLB Shop is run by Fanatics now, so that may have a little to do with the change we are seeing.

AstroBull21    531
4 hours ago, Bouj said:

It also broke on Twitter yesterday that most of the teams will be wearing adverts.  Jersey patches and helmet decals for like 12/16 or so.  Not the US or Dominicans, but most of the rest.  Either Chris or Lukas tweeted out a a link to the full list.

Ads are nothing new, they were used in 2013.

hawk36    1,120
On 2/20/2017 at 2:58 PM, Big Yellow Flag said:

Are there any teams other than Team Israel that haven't released anything uniform-wise? Pool A starts on March 6th, and all I'm hearing is crickets. They wore blue in the qualifiers, I'm hoping to see at least a white and hopefully a gray when the time finally comes.

ike_davis_39jj04mf_tcp7ecax.jpg

"I" not needed in the star. That is clearly iconic enough to be known world wide and the "I" just clutters an otherwise very nice look. 

On 2/24/2017 at 7:11 PM, hawk36 said:

"I" not needed in the star. That is clearly iconic enough to be known world wide and the "I" just clutters an otherwise very nice look. 

I mean, it could be that they were trying to keep it consistent with the other teams. All the teams have an initial on the front. Some have decoration, like the stars with Australia and the US, but you don't see a lion on the Dutch hat or a fern for the New Zealand squad.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see more variation in the WBC uniforms, but I'll take a nice Team Israel logo and be thankful that we aren't Japan with the whole name just printed on the caps, or Italy with a very, very boring letter I.

Team Israel just posted some pictures from training camp, and very interestingly, the players are wearing gear with the logo of the Israeli Baseball Association rather than the I in the Star of David or the Israel script.

Seen very clearly here on Cody Decker.

Image may contain: one or more people, people playing sports, baseball, stadium and outdoor

I wonder if this might indicate a shift from the uniforms seen in Qualifiers. Maybe the new uniforms aren't ready yet? Would also explain why nothing's been released yet. Took a quick peak around and other teams are at least getting ready for the tournament wearing the proper logo, if not the full uniforms.

Followed the link above to their Instagram, which I followed to their source, Alex Katz, who's on the team, and saw a picture of some jerseys, finally. We see the backs of a white with blue sleeves and a gray wish blue sleeves (note the SodaStream patches), and the front of the blue jersey with a white Israel that we saw during Qualifiers. Here's hoping we see the fronts, you know, before they start playing.

n04qv2f.png

16 hours ago, Big Yellow Flag said:

Followed the link above to their Instagram, which I followed to their source, Alex Katz, who's on the team, and saw a picture of some jerseys, finally. We see the backs of a white with blue sleeves and a gray wish blue sleeves (note the SodaStream patches), and the front of the blue jersey with a white Israel that we saw during Qualifiers. Here's hoping we see the fronts, you know, before they start playing.

n04qv2f.png

Those are pretty nice. Is it just me or is the gray a darker gray like the US is using for their road jerseys?

Anubis2051    96

You know what would really help the popularity of the tournament? Letting teams pick their own jersey look, not this template junk. 

Wally1912    15
On 3/3/2017 at 8:34 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Those are pretty nice. Is it just me or is the gray a darker gray like the US is using for their road jerseys?

Yes, very dark as seen in exhibition action.

C6DAPMrU0AAtUrz.jpg:large

The Dutch team also appears to have a darker gray for their road pants. I like #7's striped socks.

C5-xfYbXMAArhu-.jpg:large

This dark gray trend needs to end and end fast. The brightness of a light gray lets colors and logos pop off it. The dark gray swallows all the colors and logos and hides things making it all hard to make out. 

Watching Israel vs Korea now, even with the fake vest look the jerseys look great this year compared to the BP cape/shoulder pads/side panel look of the 2013 classic.

The dark grey on Israel looks great in action as it doesn't come off as dark. I'm guessing the royal blue and the white trim are what's making it pop better so I'm guessing Arizona's dark grey looks so bad because of all the black on that jersey making it look even darker.

Korea looks good as well, they are a team that can make the side panels work and I like how their uniforms still look like a Korean team would as opposed to just reverting to copying the fake vest jersey template that most teams are using.

Anyways I'm now interested in seeing how the other 14 teams will look as I see these jerseys *can* work for some teams.

Oh the ads of course look like hot garbage but I guess I can deal with that in an international tournament like this. 

Israel v. Korea, in addition to being an excellent game, was a very good looking game. In addition, we've now seen all three uniforms in use. See below for "action" shots of all three, plus a bonus Mensch on the Bench. I would've preferred a normal gray, and maybe not the exact same template as the entire field in the WBC, but it's a sharp, clean look.

bRYzYA1.png

Wally1912    15

One thing that bugs me to no end is the numeral 2 in Majestic's house font ("Imperial" from Liebe) that is being used by many teams such as Korea, Israel, and Canada. The squared off openings don't match the other numbers. This digit really needs to do away with the 90° angles in the upper opening and the one just below the horizontal crossbar. It should more closely resemble #5 if it were flipped.

Liebe Imperial 2.png

Israel 25.png

I'd really love to see Israel versus the USA in the WBC finals.  But Israel is likely going to have to get past the Netherlands, Cuba, and Japan, in their half of things first, at the very least.  The USA will likely have a much easier road to the finals, but even them getting there is not certain, due to other nations having a number of good players as well, I think.  It would be wonderful if my two favorite real-world nations could face off against each other in the finals, in my view.  IF they both did, however, even though I'm an American, I don't know who I'd most want to win for sure.  That is all for now, at least, then, folks.  Turtle Pilgrim out.

1 minute ago, Turtle Pilgrim said:

I'd really love to see Israel versus the USA in the WBC finals.  But Israel is likely going to have to get past the Netherlands, Cuba, and Japan, in their half of things first, at the very least.  The USA will likely have a much easier road to the finals, but even them getting there is not certain, due to other nations having a number of good players as well, I think.  It would be wonderful if my two favorite real-world nations could face off against each other in the finals, in my view.  IF they both did, however, even though I'm an American, I don't know who I'd most want to win for sure.  That is all for now, at least, then, folks.  Turtle Pilgrim out.

Israel is a great story for this wbc but they don't have enough to get to the finals. Even with today's win they aren't even guaranteed to get out of their pool even though their odds of course just went up. When I see them I think their talent level might fall just short. They're basically the equivalent of a Double A team. A bunch of talented young guys with a few past their prime veterans sprinkled in there for leadership and experience. Not many of those guys are in their prime years, they're either not there yet or have just past their primes. They wouldn't have even beaten Korea if Korea wasn't so shaky today both with their pitching and their offense. I'd love to see them go far but I wouldn't hold my breath. Wonderful underdog story though and great exposure for the country of Israel and for Jewish Americans as well. Getting out of this pool would make this wbc a monumental success for them.