2017 World Baseball Classic

Anubis2051

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

These hats have been awful for forever and I can't believe they're still using them.

2008-usa-wbc-joe-torre.jpg

That font, the drop shadow, the intersecting lines, the unnecessary star, the way it turns into an illegible blob from 10 feet away. The only way it could be busier is if they crammed an A in there. 

We need new baseball uniforms. This is the biggest problem facing our country. 

Agreed. Too much going on. Simply removing the US and leaving just the star would be a huge improvement. 

USA reversed the color of their drop shadow in the US letters? This is weird, not to mention ugly... as well as super odd as I got a 2017 USA cap as a gift last week and the colors on mine are the same as they've always been. Why make this silly change days before the games start? 

Screenshot_20170307-164150.jpg

4 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

But they need certain aspects to work... namely much brighter colors on the names, numbers, and wordmarks or at least bright or white outlines such as Israel has...

Israel routs Taipei, sprints to 2-0 Classic start

What helps here is the white stroke on everything. That provides excellent contrast between the blue and grey (which wouldn't contrast well at all otherwise).

Pictures are actually deceiving the gray jerseys because of the quality of the photographs. Watching them in game action is horrible, especially in sunlight ironically because the shadows are more drastic and darken things almost to pure black. The bottom photo above that shows Dalton Pompey sliding into second, see how dark his back looks? That's the way the jerseys looked basically the entire game today. 

17 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Pictures are actually deceiving the gray jerseys because of the quality of the photographs. Watching them in game action is horrible, especially in sunlight ironically because the shadows are more drastic and darken things almost to pure black. The bottom photo above that shows Dalton Pompey sliding into second, see how dark his back looks? That's the way the jerseys looked basically the entire game today. 

I watched some of the game and couldn't make out any names, and the numbers were very hard to make out at times too. A white stroke around the numbers and lettering would help make things pop a little. The black doesn't work at all.

iGLssSH.png

These dark grey uniforms are bad. They just look bad. It works for Isreal with two colors and white being one of them. The rest suck. Even China with red and yellow, is kind of tough to read when it's not a close up. Bad choice by whoever made the decision to go to this grey.

15 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

But they need certain aspects to work... namely much brighter colors on the names, numbers, and wordmarks or at least bright or white outlines such as Israel has...

Israel routs Taipei, sprints to 2-0 Classic start

Agreed Israel looks great. 

15 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

USA reversed the color of their drop shadow in the US letters? This is weird, not to mention ugly... as well as super odd as I got a 2017 USA cap as a gift last week and the colors on mine are the same as they've always been. Why make this silly change days before the games start? 

Screenshot_20170307-164150.jpg

Maybe a BP cap?  We may see some new road uniforms today as Colombia plays the Rays and I think The US and Dominican Republic play Minnesota and Boston.

3 hours ago, Victormrey said:

So, this is how Colombia home uniform looks like:

QuintanaColombia1280_p2b8rtnp_t49i02o8.j

Not a fan. I don't like the lack of red on the shirt and the lack of yellow on the cap. Plus, I think the yellow sleeves don't look really good.

With Venezuela and Colombia having the same exact colors, I feel like the emphasis on yellow was just done to differentiate the two teams but at the same time the cap has been around since at least 2012 when Colombia played in the qualifiers for the 2013 wbc. So my point is, I think the problem here comes from creating a new jersey while not updating the cap. They either should have made the jersey match the cap more, or updated the cap to have more yellow to match the new jersey. Either way, I'm not a fan of the yellow being so heavy, even though it's unique to the tournament. I liked how they looked in the qualifiers so I think blue should be the primary color, with red second. If I'm not mistaken they wore red jerseys in the 2012 games so that could have been a way to go as well. Like a lot of the wbc uniforms, seems like this is another case of half-*** planning and design. There seems to be glimpses of good ideas in the wbc uniforms but so many miss their marks as a whole.

Here's a pic of them in red in 2012, and just for the sake of comparison, blue in 2016, also notice how they still incorporate yellow well in both looks...

Image result for 2012 wbc colombiaImage result for 2012 wbc colombia

Minor pet peeve I'm seeing in several WBC uniforms thus far... flag patches on jersey sleeves that are the same color as the majority of the flag, making the flag hard to make out as it blends in with the sleeve. China and Canada really stood out to me on this one. A contrasting border around the flag patch would be a huge upgrade.

39 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I think he meant the Mexican national team in general and not just in the wbc.

Exactly.

About Venezuela and Colombia, as Venezuelan born, I think Venezuela should have kept the Burgundy/Gold scheme, which is unique and good looking imo. And the new Venezuela uniforms would look fine for Colombia.

1 hour ago, Ray Lankford said:

But why isn't Venezuela wearing maroon this year? 

Iirc, the Venezuelan Government said a couple of years ago that they'd like to change the colours used by the national teams (baseball, soccer, etc.) in order to wear the flag colours and not Burgundy/Maroon, whose origin is uncertain. So maybe they have finally applied it.

Archived