2017 World Baseball Classic

Anubis2051

I understand wanting to rep your flag, nothing wrong with that... but when your country has such recognizable colors in the sports world and for so long, I see no reason to change that. There's a couple threads here about which teams have the best or worst identities... when it comes to national teams, Venezuela's wine color scheme is as strong as any country's. 

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I understand wanting to rep your flag, nothing wrong with that... but when your country has such recognizable colors in the sports world and for so long, I see no reason to change that. There's a couple threads here about which teams have the best or worst identities... when it comes to national teams, Venezuela's wine color scheme is as strong as any country's. 

I totally agree with you. In Venezuela we feel the Burgundy is our "identity card", being (almost) unique in the sports worldwide scene. So I think it shouldn't be changed, because we will end up looking like Colombia or Ecuador.

55 minutes ago, raysox said:

That's a shame. I can count on 1 hand the teams that wear maroon and gold, compared to the countless that wear any combination of red, blue, and yellow

It's such a great color scheme too. I always wanted the Rays to wear the St. Pete Pelicans throwbacks more just for the color combo.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

2 hours ago, Victormrey said:

Iirc, the Venezuelan Government said a couple of years ago that they'd like to change the colours used by the national teams (baseball, soccer, etc.) in order to wear the flag colours and not Burgundy/Maroon, whose origin is uncertain. So maybe they have finally applied it.

The national teams have literally referred to as La Vinotinto though for decades...it wasn't enough for the Chavistas to change the flag and coat of arms they have to leave their fingerprints on every aspect of Venezuelan culture?

Edit: didn't see the posts on this page. Preaching to the choir. :)

In all honesty, Japan has the best uniform hands down.

Ironically, the jersey isn't done by MLB or whomever is doing the rest but actually is done by Mizuno.

What this means is that the MLB shop/Fanatics is selling their own version of merch made by Majestic with the Japanese logo slapped on.

Even the Japan jersey they sell isn't right from what I can tell, as the stripping seems to be straight pinstripes instead of a diamonded pinstripe, and the striping is completely different.

thumb.aspx.jpeg

compared to:

f70.jpg

see, the difference is subtle but pretty big. Ironically, the Japanese jersey from Japan is cheaper than the overseas jersey (even with Japanese shipping accounted for), not to mention you can also get a hat, a name on the jersey, and other merchandise.

So along with the yellow sleeved home jersey, Colombia does have a blue sleeved road jersey and an all red practice jersey. So while a few of us weren't thrilled with their yellow-heavy home look, all together their 3 jerseys do make a nice set.

The other day I said a few teams flags looked poorly on their sleeves of the same color and recommended a contrasting outline. I just noticed that China does have an outline on the flag on their caps but doesn't have it on their sleeves. Wonder why no one saw this little issue coming.

The above post about Australia needing a bright green on their road jersey for it to work better? I get ya, but Australia always uses dark green. Point is, what needs to change is not the green but the gray which needs to be lighter for that jersey to work. I actually think Australia can have beautiful jerseys and of course their color scheme is a huge part of that. I also like that their wordmark and logo aren't as generic as some teams. 

Following up on the talk about the dark grey road uniforms a side-by-side comparison of the Orioles and Netherlands shows how much the dark grey depresses (?) the other colors.

000_MI1KC-e1489043702333-305x172.jpgBaltimore+Orioles+v+Pittsburgh+Pirates+1

I know the lighting is a little different, but it is a cloudy day in the picture on the right.  The orange on grey looks sharp on the Orioles jersey, but it looks muddy on the Netherlands jersey . . . and the Netherlands picture is pretty representative of how it looked on TV last night.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Italy is looking pretty good. They could stand a little more green perhaps as a trim (as opposed to red to avoid more repetitive RWB), but other than that, I like what they've got. The "Italia" script has always been really, really nice.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

17 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Has Italy always used blue for their sports teams? It looks great, but just wondering since obviously there's no blue anywhere on their flag.

Blue is the color of the Royal House of Savoy.  They wore blue pre-Republic and stuck with it to honor the former monarchy and tradition.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

22 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Awesome. I love reasons like this. I hope they stick with this forever. 

I do too. I've always loved how blue, green, red, and white has looked for them. You'd think it'd be a cluttered colorway, but it just somehow works for Italy all across sports. And it's something uniquely Italian, as opposed to green and red that could get confused for Mexico. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

14 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Italy is looking pretty good. They could stand a little more green perhaps as a trim (as opposed to red to avoid more repetitive RWB), but other than that, I like what they've got. The "Italia" script has always been really, really nice.

The green and blue wouldn't provide enough contrast in my mind.

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

The green and blue wouldn't provide enough contrast in my mind.

I dont know, it contrasts fine in other cases I can think of. Canucks, inaugural Timberwolves and Seahawks all have/had similar shades of blue and green and look good to me.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived