fnz

Please Explain The Internet To Me

128 posts in this topic

Apparently, last night, my old High School had a football game and one of the students dressed up as the, now infamous, gorilla that was shot and killed at the Cincinnati zoo months ago.

Three months later, why is this obsession still present? Why is it considered hilarious now, and why was it ever so supposedly goddamn funny?

All I want is for someone to seriously explain this to me, since I'm so out of touch with my own generation.

32 minutes ago, fnz said:

Apparently, last night, my old High School had a football game and one of the students dressed up as the, now infamous, gorilla that was shot and killed at the Cincinnati zoo months ago.

Three months later, why is this obsession still present? Why is it considered hilarious now, and why was it ever so supposedly goddamn funny?

All I want is for someone to seriously explain this to me, since I'm so out of touch with my own generation.

Its the internet. The same internet that made Hitler relevant again with the Hitler memes instead of leaving him in the trash can of history. I gave up trying to figure it out. 

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, fnz said:

how-are-harambe-memes-still-popular-me-h

5 people like this

DICKS OUT FOR HARAMBE

DICKS OUT FOR HARAMBE

DICKS OUT FOR HARAMBE

DICKS OUT FOR HARAMBE

DICKS OUT FOR HARAMBE

DICKS OUT FOR HARAMBE

8 people like this

25 minutes ago, the admiral said:

screen-shot-2016-07-31-at-6-13-47-pm.png

Cqd5i2pWYAQVXzJ.jpg

I'd choose Harambe too. 

image.jpeg

1 person likes this

So I’ve pondered this a fair bit, because for some reason, I still find the whole thing so goddamned funny.

think it has a lot to do with the people who took Harambe’s death actually über seriously — like, the people who tried to argue that, you know, risking a 3-year-old kid’s life was more important than saving a gorilla’s life — and took on a life of its own from around mid-June.

1 person likes this

Harambe would get so much gorilla ass right now.

8 people like this

6 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

So I’ve pondered this a fair bit, because for some reason, I still find the whole thing so goddamned funny.

think it has a lot to do with the people who took Harambe’s death actually über seriously — like, the people who tried to argue that, you know, risking a 3-year-old kid’s life was more important than saving a gorilla’s life — and took on a life of its own from around mid-June.

I think that's part of it, though another part could be that in a world full of bad actors, Harambe tried to do the right thing as best he could, being a giant ape and all, and you have to give him credit for that.

I don't know... I'm kinda on the fence regarding this whole Harambe thing.

EDIT: 

giphy.gif

So far, we don't know why it's funny, but it is funny?

What the hell does "Dicks out for Harambe" mean?

1 person likes this

It's like Laces Out, but for.....

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, fnz said:

From what I can gather, it started with a Tweet that said "we comin' with dicks out to avenge Harambe" and it grew (no pun intended...well...maybe a little intended) from there.

13 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

It's this. I remember logging into facebook within about 30 minutes of hearing about this and the tenor of the discussion was already "WHY DIDN'T YOU SHOOT THE PARENTS TOO!!!11!! JUSTICE FOR HARAMBE!!!"

This event never had a chance to breathe and to let people accept and move on from it. It went from zero to farce in a matter of tweets.

I think it's funny and I don't really know why. I'll take a shot at it though (pun intended): fun name to say and when you say Harambe it's instantly understood what's being discussed. He's the only thing in the webosphere named Harambe. If he was "George the Gorilla" no way it takes off like this. Cecil the lion sort of had this, but the circumstances around his death were less nuanced. All good people agreed that dentist was a monster for shooting Cecil. There was camps, though, who thought Harambe could've been dealt with without killing him. When you say something like "you're with Harambe now" it's mocking those who were so serious about the death of gorilla, who couldn't understand that being sad about the death and thinking that the right thing was done were not mutually exclusive ideas a person could have. At the same time he's a sympathetic figure because he wasn't doing anything out of his own nature and he thought it was the right thing to do. He was killed for being himself and we've all felt persecuted at one time or another just for being ourselves. 

I can't explain why I so enjoyed the period on twitter where people changed the lyrics to songs to be about Harambe. I guess because that's just fun for the same reasons that like Weird Al is fun. 

The Gorilla Glue headquarters are here and it just occurred to me last week that we used to have an indoor soccer team called the Silverbacks

041167d20f3f9ba7cbbe81f4f655b078.jpg

I don't know if there is another city where a gorilla's death would be more appropriate. FC Cincinnati should rebrand as the Cincinnati Silverbacks. That's a kickass name/logo. 

FC #dicksoutforHarambe United

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I can't explain why I so enjoyed the period on twitter where people changed the lyrics to songs to be about Harambe. I guess because that's just fun for the same reasons that like Weird Al is fun.

my favorite

On 8/28/2016 at 6:32 AM, fnz said:

So far, we don't know why it's funny, but it is funny?

It has nothing to do with penises.

'Dicks' is ghetto slang for a gun clip.. I think. Although, it hasn't stopped the idiots of the world from being this way.

51 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

It has nothing to do with penises.

'Dicks' is ghetto slang for a gun clip.. I think. Although, it hasn't stopped the idiots of the world from being this way.

You've really got a hard-on for Harambe, don't you?

14 hours ago, the admiral said:

my favorite

Acoustic Sex Pistols music with Harambe lyrics. Perfect.