World Football League- renewed and extended (whole league)

Pulv!

Some time ago I stumbled on the World Football League logos here on CCSL and I decided to give them a new spring by regenerating the league and by expanding it.

The league will still be named World Football League and here you have my new logo, wordmark, monochromo logo and jersey patch.

wfl logo.png

wfl wordmark logo.png

wfl monocromo logo.png

wfl jersey logo.png

In addition to the original 12 teams from the USA I added 4 from Canada, 8 from Central and South America, 5 from Africa, 8 from Europe, 7 from Asia and 2 from Oceania.

Without more reserves I'm going to present you the league conferences.

Original Conference

wfl oc logo.png

Birmingham Americans

Charlotte Hornets

Chicago Fire

Detroit Wheels

Florida Blazers (Miami)

Honolulu Hawaiians

Houston Texans

Jacksonville Sharks

Memphis Southmen

Philadelphia Bell

Portland Storm

Southern California Sun (Los Angeles)

+

Vancouver Lumberjacks

Toronto Reds

Calgary Express

Ottawa Canadians

From this conference the top 4 teams will play for the Championship Finals

I tried to stick with the real identities of the 70s with names and colors although some of them are now used by other major sports teams.

Euroconference

wfl euroc logo.png

Stockholm Vikings

Rome Gladiators

Munich Mountaineers

Rois de Paris

London White Knights

Barcelona Dracs

Athens Argonauts

Moskow Saints

Just one of these teams will fly to the Championship Finals.

Liberty Conference (Conferencia de los Libertadores)

wfl sac logo.png

Rio Cariocas

Aztecas de México (Aztecs)

Buenos Aires Gauchos (Cowboys)

Montevideo Libertadores (freedom bearers)

Valparaiso Almirantes (Admirals)

Panama Tugboats

Caracas Pertoleros (Oilers)

Bogotà Generales (Generals)

The conference is not named after the continet but after a piece of history which is shared by all of these countries. The team names are mostrly in the native language for merchandise questions. Just one of these teams will fly to the Championship Finals.

Afroarab Conference

wfl afroc logo.png

Cairo Pharaos

Cape Town Penguins

Lagos Eagles

Dakar Lions

Casablanca Touaregs

Riyadh Stallions

Riyadh was added to this group as in my opinion it makes more sense than to add it to far east teams as also Egypt and Morocco share an arab based culture with the Saudi city. Just one of these teams will fly to the Championship Finals.

Indopacific Conference

wfl indoc logo.png

Sydney Wallabies

Auckland Helmsmen

Tokyo Kitsune

Manila Tropical

Shangai Red Stars

Singapore jets

Seoul Tigers

Mumbai Elephants

Just one of these teams will fly to the Championship Finals.

I must add that I chose the conference color thinking of the 5 olympic rings. The red of Northen America was changed with the brown of a football ball to represent the original set of teams.

To sum up, in the Championship Finals there will be 4 teams from the Original Conference ad one from every other conference for a total of 8 teams fighting for the Championship Trophy.

wfl champ logo.png

Here you have some maps to make the team settings clearer.

original map.pngwfl map.png

My work will be divided in two parts, the first where I'm going to redesign the late WFL teams and a second one where I'll be creating brand new identities for the new teams.

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, fumbler said:

Looks good so far.

Just a few typos, Sydney with a y and Seoul with an o.

Ah yes, sorry for my poor english

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

Houston Texans

As the Texans are one of the current NFL teams I decided to stick with their original and retro identity. The team logo is the same as the original WFL as the blocky H on Texas shape seemed modern yet singular altogether to me. the star on the circle logo was added to the identity to represent Texas Rangers.

houston texans home.pnghouston texans away.pngscarf houston texans.png

Quite an ambitious project! The branding looks pretty good.

Couple thoughts on your first team, Houston. I can dig the retro color scheme. I like the Texas H logo. I would thicken up the white outline on the shoulder patch though. The 'n' in the wordmark looks too much like an H, IMO. Like "Houstoh"...I would eliminate the ascending tail on that letter. Lastly, the jersey number font is just too short and blocky. I think something taller and slimmer would create a more visually appealing jersey. But overall, great start!

16 hours ago, Steelman said:

Quite an ambitious project! The branding looks pretty good.

Couple thoughts on your first team, Houston. I can dig the retro color scheme. I like the Texas H logo. I would thicken up the white outline on the shoulder patch though. The 'n' in the wordmark looks too much like an H, IMO. Like "Houstoh"...I would eliminate the ascending tail on that letter. Lastly, the jersey number font is just too short and blocky. I think something taller and slimmer would create a more visually appealing jersey. But overall, great start!

I'll try out your suggestions!

I got rid of the upper serif on Houston n and then thickened the white lines of the shoulder patch. 

houston texans home.pnghouston texans away.pngscarf houston texans.png

Philadelphia Bell

The original logo of the cracked liberty bell was so on point that I decided to reuse it for my concept. You can see that the crack is a major feature of the uniform as it is used as pants ands shoulder striping. This kit is still a really simple and linear one.

phila bell home.pngphila bell away.pngscarf phila bell.png

2 hours ago, Cokeologist said:

Did the entire city of Charlotte, North Carolina relocate to northern Virginia?

Spot on! As I put every single number on the maps after comparing the position with a world map I got Charlotte moved to Virginia. 

Here you have the mistake fixed.

original map.png

On 5/9/2016 at 4:00 PM, sleuthpanther said:

The logos and uniforms look great, although the "crack" stripe for phili just looks unintentionally crooked. I'd like to hear about the reasoning for your colors so far though, they aren't really like anything I've seen for those cities before. Nice work so far! 

The coloring of the original WFL teams is the original one they used back in 1974. I don't really know the reason of the color palette choice but I can easily make it up saying what they mean to me. 

Houston Texans: grass green was chosen back in the days to reflect the fertile meadows where texan cattle is bred. gold was chosen to represent the shiny stars of Texas Rangers.

Philadelphia Bell: Deep blue (atlantic blue) represents the ocean color, that same ocean that brought our fathers to America. Gold to represent the golden texture of new bronze, the material of which the Liberty Bell is made.

Chicago Fire

For a new logo for this team I decided to use the firefighters badge with the locked letter logo of the Chicago Fire Department without the D. I hope anyone got angry for this as it is intended as an homage to all firefighters all over the world. New part of this identity is also the six pointed star which features in Chicago city flag.

The color palette is based on fire red and smoke dark gray.

Original 1974 logo                                      5880.gif

chicago fire home.pngchicago fire away.pngscarf chicago fire.png

I like your Chicago concept a lot! That font works well with the scheme. Well balanced red-black as well. Only thing that bothers me is the two black stars. I think they'd be better featured on the side shoulders above the striping.

I also noticed you don't feature any TV numbers on these jerseys, is that intentional?

Keep it up!

14 hours ago, Victormrey said:

Not a big fan of football, but I'm digging this!

BTW, for the Spanish-speaker teams, how about using the "complete" Spanish version of the names? For example: "Petroleros de Caracas" or  "Libertadores de Montevideo".

Probably the names will be the way you say. I just wrote them that way to make it more understandable. I'm still not sure if I want every team to have their own language name like the Rois de Paris. I'm pretty sure that in the end I'll go with a double identity with an english name and a local language name. I still have to figure it out.

3 hours ago, Pulv! said:

Probably the names will be the way you say. I just wrote them that way to make it more understandable. I'm still not sure if I want every team to have their own language name like the Rois de Paris. I'm pretty sure that in the end I'll go with a double identity with an english name and a local language name. I still have to figure it out.

Language may complicate things, but I think the use of double identities would be fine. Looking forward to see the Caracas Oilers!

Birmingham Americans

Quite a lot of stars for the americans but I felt it was the right way to make fans fell like they are part of a magic team from a "Magic City". I slightly changed the '70s logo modernizing it. I also must add that the stars on the away unis are supposed to be sublimated. do I have to add my reasons for the color palette choice? Don't think so...

1974 original logo 5807.gif

birmingham americans home.pngbirmingham americans away.pngscarf birmingham americans.png

I like the Birmingham Americans but the stars in the stripes might be either too confederate flag for some, but would be probably well accepted in Alabama (I live in north Alabama). I am wondering how the helmet stripe looks on the top of the helmet seeing as all stars visible are pointing up to the top.

The blue you used for the Philadelphia Bell uniforms looks much darker than what they used.Bell%2074%20Home%20Back%20Ron%20Kecman.jpg

st__louis_aces_player_sig___tom_davis_by_verasthebrujah-d9w1l6u.jpg

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_minor_by_verasthebrujah-dbd786h.jpg.04fb6ee08e3d6de5abf371b4fd8bf0bf.jpgmiami_suns_sig_by_verasthebrujah-da7emd5.jpg

Archived